Who do you want the VP pick to be?

She’d also be 75 and 79 in those years, respectively.

I’ve been touting Duckworth for ages on these forums. But I’m still betting it is Abrams or Harris.

Abrams has no executive experience, so expecting her to take up the presidency in 2024 would not be a fantastic plan. From what I’ve been hearing I don’t even think she’s on the shortlist anymore.

My money’s on Harris or Duckworth, pretty much in that order.

Could a pick of Abrams help tilt Georgia? Harris would be an interesting pick at a time when police reform is part of the national discussion. Would having a former DA help appease some people in the middle nervous about “defund the police”? Could it be spun to Democrats as someone with inside experience knowing how to reform law enforcement?

I’ll be honest in that I don’t know a whole lot about any of them. I’ve had the most exposure to Kamala Harris and I would say that strictly from a demeanor and presentation point of view, I could absolutely see her as President.

And the first year or two is when a new president’s agenda gets basically done. A GOP senator in Warren’s seat would deny Biden that vote for a significant chunk of those months.

MA Dems hold a veto proof majority, if they wanted to they could force Baker to pick someone from the same party (not that I think Warren is getting the nod.)

She could have all kinds of experience after 4 years of being the VP.

That’s the thing, the VP is the ultimate Resume maker, provided that Biden is on Board.

Is your VP lacking Foreign Experience - world tour and meet and greets.
Need to make sure the VP looks tough on banks - lead agencies on it.
Whatever the VP is lacking, if Biden could fill it up very easily because the VP has no assigned positions or powers, outside of breaking ties in the senate.

Again, this is all provided Biden see’s the VP as a way of selecting a successor to himself.

All he needs to do is pick someone over 35. Hell, Obama didn’t have an executive experience either, if you think about it.

If she gets a full 4 years, yes, and if she gets the role I sincerely hope she does. That said, while Biden seems to be extraordinarily healthy for his age, he’s damn old, and having someone that could step in to the presidency at a moment’s notice strikes me as an important qualification for his VP pick.

Again, I would point to Obama.

This would be exactly like Obama, except she would have a hand picked staff by Biden, ready to spring in.

That point isn’t nearly as strong as you seem to think it is. First off, Obama at least had a few years as a senator under his belt. Second, if he had had more executive experience from the start, one wonders what those first two years might have looked like.

What executive experience did he have when he started, that Stacey Abrams doesn’t have more of?

She was in the state legislature for over a decade, she ran a state wide campaign that really only lost because of out right cheating, she is an author, she is on the board of several committees and foundations, completed 7 international fellowships, but most importantly, founded Fair Fight 2020.

In 2008, Obama had what - some time in the Illnois State Senate, and 2 years in the Senate? He hit the ground running, with Biden, to be sure, but looking at everything, he certainly had less experience then Stacey Abrams has current.

And Stacey Abrams will have the further advantage (if she needs to step in as President) of having a staff and team of experience insiders. These will be people that were in the White House, some from 2008 onward. I don’t think Obama had as experienced a team when he was in office in 2009.

And again, that is assuming that Biden drops dead day one of his term in office. I find that very unlikely.

I sure hope not :(

Unlikely, but not unprecedented. Just ask William Henry Harrison (he died in thirty days.)

Well, I have trust that Biden will give a pass to speeches in the cold and damp without a jacket.

If the biggest issue in the election is going to be COVID, how about Gina Raimondo (whom I’ve only heard about just minutes ago when I encountered this article)?

That article contains a cool link:

I’m totes team ❤Stacey❤ so loved reading this.

Honestly, right now I’d be totally okay with an adequate, forgettable, occasionally regrettable caretaker President of the U.S.A…

None, and that was a problem for him. At least he had some experience in national government, but really it probably would have been a stronger first few years if he’d had more executive experience. Those first two years could have been much more productive.

Literally anyone who might be chosen for VP has that advantage (which is a good thing). That doesn’t mean that who we choose doesn’t matter, and it doesn’t mean that experience has no value.

Me too, but shit happens.

At the end of the day it’s all academic anyway, if he picks Abrams (for all that I think that’s unlikely) that’s fine, but I think she’s a comparatively weak choice for the position for the reasons I’ve outlined. What makes you think she’s a strong pick?

Your welcome.

Honestly, I’m not sure I’m on board or not. I would love it to be Warren, but I want a VP that is actually healthy enough to run for office in 2024 or 2028.

Right now, it looks like the best candidates are Duckworth and Stacey. I would love to hear about other contenders though.