Who here uses Soda Club/Soda Stream?

We have the Penguin and also go through about a 60 liter cannister every month (although we have to work to stretch it that long…) I love it, but am also kinda vexed by the smaller bottles (wouldn’t want to give up the glass, however) and that Williams-Sonoma more often than not is in-between shipments when we need more. We’ve ordered through the website which is also not without its frustrations.

But while we’re not really saving that much money-wise, not producing all those empty plastic bottles is great, and when you’re not hitting the dregs of a container, the water is fantastic.

Fountain Jet arrived today. That was quick. I thought I had read somewhere on Qt3 that SodaStream was slow shipping - maybe that comment was specific to refills.

First experience: Since the wording was a little vague on the subject of how long to press the button (“press briefly and release quickly”), I was too conservative in my pressing. Because I never heard a Bzzzt, I should have experimented further but instead I removed the vessel to test. This was stupid, but then again I didn’t know what the Bzzzt was supposed to sound like. It wasn’t nearly fizzy enough, so I screwed it back on and pressed the button a couple more times. This time the machine seemed downright excited or agitated because, I later realized, there was too much air at the top of the bottle. Nice shower/bath I got when I unscrewed the bottle again.

Next try was smooth as ice, though. The manual should have said to “press briefly and do not release until you hear a Bzzzt”, and I think adding the sound to the online animation demonstration would have been a good way to let customers hear what it sounds like. Normally with appliances like this I jump right in without bothering with the manual, but this time I was actually a little proud that I took the time, and I got drenched anyway. Justice!

Anyway, thank you once again, Qt3! This seltzer addict is very happy.

I’m supposed to get mine sometime this week :D

I hope you love it like I love mine, Athryn.

I nearly forgot to ask the question I came here to ask. If I shop for flavors or syrups in markets and grocery stores (or Costco, I guess) what type of product am I looking for? My assumption is the Italian soda syrup I’ve seen at supermarkets is OK, but I don’t think that’s the same thing.

Jeez, sorry to rain on the parades, but I just read today that even plain ol’ calorie-free seltzer water is carbonated (DUH!), so it has phosphoric acid in it, which leaches calcium out of the body :-P

AHA, but it seems to be BUNK! This is a profound relief to me! Curse you, Dr. Mao, and your sketchy healthful promotions!

I have used the Torani syrups with it, and they work fine.

Thanks, Sparky. I know where to get some of that. How do like Torani flavors compare to Prairie Moon’s offerings (if you’ve done that test)?

While making my third bottle a few minutes ago, I noticed the well-placed warning sticker that actually has the words LOUD BUZZ written in caps, at the top of the device. Here I was so fixated on the product manual with its comparatively mild language (“Press the carbonating button in short presses until you hear the buzz”), and so proud that I was taking the time to do so. Looks like I’m the first and only member of the Qt3 SodaStream Soda Bukake Club.

Despite all the stark warnings not to, I tried fizzing up some apple cider. It was delicious! Or rather, the 30% that stayed in the bottle was. Holy fricking foam.

(I actually released it pretty carefully, so it didn’t go all over the kitchen, but I did get sprayed a little, and cleaning out the machine was a pain in the neck)

Yeah, I tried it with a mix of water and orange juice (trying to recreate Izzy’s Clementine).

Don’t try it. You’ll end up wearing it, and cleaning the machine up afterwards is a royal pain.

I’m surprised that orange juice would cause a violent reaction.

Anyone actually tried buying name brand soda syrup (say at Costco or Sam’s Club) and using it in their machines?

I’m afraid I’d just never be happy with anyone’s generic cola, when I know I could be drinking genuine Coca Cola brand.

I would just ultra-carbonate the water and mix them after the fact. It’d be like an orangina.

Can you really buy genuine Coca Cola soda syrup at Costco? Holy schmokes, I’d be all about that.

This is the thread I have been waiting for. Item number one on my Christmas list.

Exactly what I do now. My mix ends up being about 2/3 water, 1/3 juice, and it works nicely.

I know for a fact you can buy genuine Coca Cola soda syrup at Costco, and you don’t even need a Soda Club to enjoy it because it already has carbonated water right there in the can with the syrup.

Har har!

Horray, I got mine! No more having to lug cases of water upstairs. :D

So, after almost a week of Soda Stream goodness, I am still very happy with it. It came with a bunch of flavor samples, and I couldn’t figure what was up with them – they always seemed to have a funny after taste.

I finally looked it up and it looks like even their non-diet flavors have spenda in them. Yuck! I am going to work on making some of my own flavors using a simple syrup recipe. Or I might get lazy and buy some Torani as mentioned in this thread.

I ended up making my own ginger ale with simple syrup and seltzer, yous should turn out perfect.

I want to franchise this guy’s operation to Dallas

http://sodapopstop.com/