Who is more the Devil? EA or Sony

And why?

EA. They’re both notorious companies, but I at least enjoy some games made by Sony. Plus I just don’t know much about Sony’s employment practices, but know more than enough about EAs to think them vile.

Sony has some really evil parts, like BMG, but the whole isn’t evil, just arrogant and really out of touch with consumers at times. With EA, the non-evil parts are very small, and in continuous danger of being swallowed up.

I’m not sure I’d really classify them as “evil”; they’re both corporations, and as such, they’re out to make money. Sony does so at the expense of customer satisfaction. EA does so at the expense of employee satisfaction.

• Alan

Why don’t the EA employees unionize?

Probably the same reason no one else is unionizing anymore.

Battlefield 2142 will teach your children discipline.

Current talk is about forming a professional guild–unions come with all sorts of unpleasant strings attached.

• Alan

Sony is the dumbass, not the devil.

You got that right.

EA because they’ve ruined too many good companies and franchises and have totally ruined sports gaming for the PC.

Wait a minute, I thought companies were supposed to act in the interest of art.

Let me get this straight, if there is a market for something to make money with regards to say removing features from a console that were promised while the consumer will gladly pay the same price or, hypothetically, another company sees that the public will pay additional monies for previously free content, these companies should conduct their business in these ways? Heresy, I say.

Yeah, like health benefits, an 8 hour work day, and a 40 hour work week, with weekends off…

A 40 hour work week? One can only dream…

EA going away. even though sony killed sega as a hardware maker, I can accept that as a business strategy, EA killed nfl 2k, and replaced it with a graphically upgraded version of madden 95.

Sony “killed” Sega by beating them in the market. And even then, one could argue that Sega just flat-out self destructed. But still, all Sony did was win.

EA gave us Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, which is tantamount to rape.

Yeah, I’m trying to work my way through that now. Very painful.

No game development studio could afford that. It might be nice to see the entire industry crash and burn if one based on sustainable business practices might rise from the ashes, though.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, believe 40+ hour weeks and weekend office time is common in many, many, many game development studios around the world, not just at E.A… Aware that it’s still popular to randomly slag E.A. and other big companies simply for being big, but most studios tend to burn the midnight oil, especially near pre-release “crunch-time”, from what little I’ve heard. Doubt there are many, if any, successful game developers out there that do work 40-hour weeks, conversely.

Being clear, E.A. work hours scandal from last year was clearly suggestive of questionable labor practices at that company. But from what’s been said, on this forum and in interviews and such, the actual issue of work-life balance in the game industry is a lot more complicated than just saying “big companies are all evil because they all force people to work late, and no one else is to blame.”

Sometimes developers have to scramble because publishers like E.A. give unreasonable deadlines or move up ship dates. But other times there’s mismanagement, unrealistic expectations, big shifts from external factors (like moving to a new game engine), departures of key staff members, etc… Factors that can throw off major projects at just about any company, game or no, at least, from what’s been said in interviews and reports and such. Just 2 cents here.

Yeah, ask Wardell how much he worked on his GalCiv titles. I think the hours are a function of the industry.

I was talking about unpleasant side-effects for the workers, not for suits like you.

On the whole Quality of Life issue, crunch is a part of many product cycles in many industries. However, game companies tend to abuse it more often, probably due to the scheduling demands of the marketing-driven entertainment industry. Of course there are companies who have normal hours and generally good business practices. They’re easy to spot–they’re the ones making good games.

• Alan