Who owns a Telecaster?

As I mentioned in another thread, I’ve been playing drums in a Sunday night blues jam. The other night I noodled around on a couple of Telecasters that some of the guys there had (Teles pretty much dominated the scene, in fact). Those things play like BUTTER. I’m not a lead player at all - most of my guitar playing is acoustic strumming or rhythm on those rare occasions that I play an electric - but those Teles made me want to become a lightning-fast blues picker.

Was that my imagination? I hope so, 'cause if not I want a Tele now.

But I’m not getting that stupid model with the fake wear marks.

I get a kick out of some of the axes at the jam - one guy has a 1951 Fender bass, and another has a Gibson SG that he said is a '62.

I’d say it’s more likely that THOSE teles were awesome, and not that ALL teles are awesome.

The Telecaster is a great guitar, and I still regret parting with mine (and will own one again!), but there are so many variables in how a guitar is made. Even two from the same series, factory, and production period will probably each have a slightly different mojo, with differences ranging from the subtle to the profound.

If you’re considering any guitar, then the best way to judge if it is right for you is to play that specific guitar and see if you dig it, because it’s all about that specific piece of tree.