Who plays their Xbox/Ps2 games on an HDTV? please share

I have a 34" widescreen hdtv. For consoles, the XBox has some decent titles that are 720p. XMen Legends is probably the best looking though. GT4 looks nice in HD, but the interface is pretty odd with a lot of screen flips and the such.

I have two sets I game on … a 53" Rear Projection TV, I think it’s DLP … Samsung. This is the living room version for the rare occassions my newly married friends come over to relive the glory years.

My brand new toy though is made by a company called Syntax Olevia. I am not usually one to recommend hardware, but this thing is awesome. It’s a 37" LCD and I’m now using it in my new “man pad” (the basement). Oh, and it’s the cheapest LCD company on teh market right now. As in, less than half the cost of Sony’s sets.

The LCD is nice over the projection because with the projection TV, I’m always worried about burn in. With the LCD I don’t have to worry about it and additionally I can hook up the computer to it for gaming goodness.

Really, this thing changes gaming. It’s about 3 feet from my face so it totally fills my vision. I’m sure I’ll go blind but it will be a nice road down. Plus now I have the teeth rattling surround sound hooked up (the reason for the basement location… cinder blocks don’t rattle).

Back to the original question, I just got component for it. To be honest, when you are gaming on it with non 420p games, the jagginess is crazy. At least when using S-video or regular RCA jacks there was a “softness” to the picture. Now with component all the flaws of the PS2 graphics engine are readily apparent. I have no games that support 420p (edit, 480p, just for the readers of High Times) , but I’m looking forward to Hulk: UD and the XBox 360 as well.

But who games for the graphics, anyway? I game for the experience. It’s only when BAD graphics ruin the illusion that it becomes a problem.

/Man, I spend a LOT of coin on electronic crap… maybe I should go outside now.

Dude, “high” definition. Totally.

You should see my crap. My cackles of joy are only occasionally drowned out by the weeping of my wife.

DLPs don’t burn in, so if your projection TV is indeed a DLP, then you have no need to worry.

That, in and of itself, makes them a great choice for gaming, BTW.

Yep, your right. Mine turns out to be a Panasonic CRT Rear Projection.

When I first got the TV, Grand Theft Auto burned the “radar” into my screen. It’s all but faded out now, so no worries.

A lot of the burn in problems come from people who leave the TV Settings on factory default.

The brightness and contrast always need to be turned down.

I play my PS2 and Xbox on my panny HD and It looks great.

Every Bluray disk will support 1080p. In summer of last year I had a demonstration on Sony’s hollywood lot of a Qualia 006 showing Laurence of Arabia (ie a 50 year old movie) that had a line that split the screen in half and moved across the screen. One half was 480p, the other was 1080p. You could see individual motes of dust in the 1080p side, it was breathtaking on a 20’ screen in a packed auditorium.

1080p and Bluray are the real deal. I can wait.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225543

Sam

“Every Bluray disk” != “Every PS3 game”, does it?

How many 1080p-capable sets are expected to be in homes when the PS3 is released? This will be awesome in five years when I buy a 1080p television, but until then my PS3 will run at 720p just like my Xbox360.