Who the heck is Tom Chick?

Tom’s writing for Variety? That’s a win, right? I wonder if that will raise his profile for acting gigs.

It may be, but considering Halo’s mind share, that’s probably the first comparison a casual gamer will make.

What I got from that is “Be aware, this isn’t a straight up action shooter like Halo” not so much “It sucks because it’s not like Halo”.

Chick’s nix of waggle tricks inflicts tics

That, and that he found the exploration to be “tedious” rather than interesting in any way. It’s not the first time Chick has disagreed with the unwashed masses, but he has certainly spiked the fanboy ire.

Oh, and Matthew Gallant wins the thread.

Jeebus, he’s not that much older than me. And I dunno, that section on writing career should have taken care of most of it.

P.S. if peterb happens to be reading the thread: you have been supplanted at the top of the game writer rankings in the “haughty-to-noobishness ratio” category.

It’s all a scam. Kirk really does know Chick and this is just another attempt to stir up controversy and put Tom in the glorious spot light. Next he’ll have his buddy Roger Ebert write a scathing diatribe against Chick’s claim that it’s silly to argue whether games are art.

For some strange reason, this review reminded me of “Big Mouse”.
If anyone has a copy of that classic rant, can they post it for all to enjoy?

Billy basically throws away any shred of gamer-credibility he might have when he fails to to recognize Tom Chick. Of course, the VGMwatch guys aren’t exactly in the know. Well, okay, Kyle Orland is marginally connected to the industry via his mainstream press friends, but he’s certainly no Kieron Gillen.

• Alan

who the fuck is kieron gillen

The quality of the VGMWatch postings seems to have gone down over the last year. Kyle always used to write pretty well thought out arguments for what he was going after but this guy doesn’t seem to have as much restraint or… Not sure what the word is I’m looking for.

Just for you, Freddy:

From [email protected] Fri Sep 24 16:00:54 1999
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
Subject: YOU’RE ALL FUCKIN BIG MOUSE
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:00:54 -0500
Organization: University of Illinois at Chicago
Lines: 13
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: icarus.cc.uic.edu
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: [email protected]
Xref: mindspring comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic:544594

I have subscribed this newsgroup for a month. I thought you people are
discussing all kind of strategy games. Since i am also crazy about
turn-based all real-time strategy games, I had great expectation on this
group. But you all f_cking people have only big mouse. Many people
follow the someone’s notes (totally not related to strategy games), and
those f_cking messages gave me f_cking headache. I know you all have
freedom
to speak or write, but you people are doing too much.
Since old man says "NOBody scares shit to avoid, but they avoid because
its f_cking dirty. I will stop subscribing this fucking newsgroup.
If you have any other words, fuck you.

SamF7 (Sokwoo Disciple)

use google, noob

I know who Kieron Gillen is. It was a joke…

That’s hardly informative, it makes no mention of his writing one of the five worst gaming articles of 2005.

he is also an occasional QT3 denizen

i might as well have posted “who the fuck is jason mccullough”

Is this Wiki link accurate? Tom is also an actor? I guess I’ve never looked into Tom’s past or present beyond games. I never watched The West Wing either, I guess I live a sheltered life.

Oh for fuck’s sake.