Who watched Watchmen? (complete with SPOILERZ)

Are you referring to the recurring visual motifs or something else? The subject is of some interest to me.

Not to mention that, if he had all of this technology, couldn’t he figure out some way to stop war peacefully? Or why didn’t he have the giant squid drop on the Afghanistan fighting lines so that the people would take the hint that the “Aliens” don’t like war, or something.

It seemed really out of the blue, whereas the movie’s ending had more of a build-up.

This is mixing up motives. The “aliens” don’t care one way or another about what humans do, they may or may not even know that humans exist. The squid died upon arrival, so it’s probably assumed it was a squid industrial accident or something. But the mere presence of something so alien makes humanity band together, either in a “fight the aliens” sense, or in a “the earth is a small fragile ball” sense.

The point was to scare the bejeesus out of the superpowers so they would band together to fight off the aliens. Some Afghanis getting killed doesn’t really inspire terror in Washington.

But, with that angle, having those giant alien creature show up in rural areas would instill the same type of fear. It is still an alien being. You wouldn’t need to kill that many people to get the “OMG Aliens” vibe out of people.

In the movie, it makes more sense, that Dr. Manhattan is angry at the world, and attacks it. Especially since the last time he is seen on earth includes him screaming and saying “Leave me alone!”

I clearly didn’t like the comic

Nah, a giant space squid capable of (possibly accidentally) wiping out a major city is much more terrifying than one capable of doing the same to a farm town. Even if scientists confirm that it would be capable of wiping out a major city, people (and thus politicians) aren’t really going to prepare for that contingency unless they witness it first hand. And the government could potentially hush up or claim as a hoax an attack on a small town.

Edit: I think premise is okay, but imo he really needed to add in a paragraph or so about how Veidt’s scientists have managed to adapt Manhattan’s teleportation technology but it warps everything that gets teleported and is only accurate to 100m or so, so they’re still working on coming up with practical applications for it. And somehing similar about the psychic powers.

I honestly don’t think there would be much of a difference. Maybe if we had already known about extra terrestrial life before hand… but it would be a huge shocker. They could claim a hoax, but if it happened on a large world-wide scale… it would be seriously hard to do that.

For those that are still interested in this movie… The DVD / Blu Ray will be release towards the end of July.

Bad news is, that it looks like Paramount is only releasing the theatrical version of the film in Europe, while the US gets to bask in the glory that will be the directors cut.

Not sure why the hell we have to miss out on the longer cut over here, but like the article mentions, its probably because of some evil deal between Paramount & Warner…

I read that most of Warner Blu Ray releases are region free and thus should be viewable on a European Player, can anyone confirm this? Then at least I could import the US version.

The Director’s Cut has an extra 24 minutes. It also has a documentary entitled “Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes” (27 min.). That could be amusing.

FYI, There’s allegedly another cut of this coming out late in the year that has the Black Freighter integrated into the movie.

I heard about that version… Not sure how well that would gel with the film, also wasn’t the directors cut supposed to be released theatrically as well?

For now, I’d just be happy with to know that the US version of the directors cut will be playable on my European system.

Some more info:

Zack:…The Black Freighter version of the movie, which we call the final cut or the ultimate cut – it has a marketed name that I don’t know exactly what it is. That version of the movie, because when we were up there we physically shot the in’s and out’s, scenes at the newsstand that go into the movie. There’s like scenes where our characters pass the newsstand and then we pick up action at the newsstand and it gets us into the Black Freighter….with shots that go into it and it comes to life and you follow the Black Freighter story and then come back into the movie. That version of the movie is the director’s cut with the Black Freighter intercut. That version sort of traces the structure of the Black Freighter that’s integrated into the comic book… So that version is the 3 hour and 25 minute version. So you have all those in’s and out’s…but the director’s cut includes the Hollis death stuff, that’s just a lot more connective tissue…it’s hard for me to even remember exactly what’s in it. But it’s just a lot more.

I could take or leave the black freighter stuff honestly. I found that whole black freighter story to be cliched, as soon as he set foot on land and saw the two people I figured out what was going to happen instantly.

Cool metaphor and all… but I don’t think it jazzed that well with the comic… or the movie.

It was intended to be cliche’. But it’s an alternate reality cliche’.

yeah, I understood that but it didn’t stop it from being a cliche to me.

I’m going to wait for the Black Freighter version. When that’s expected - around X-mas? I can wait until then.

Thats assuming that it will actually see the light of day…

A shortage of variety of supplemental, alternate, ultimate, directors, etc. versions/editions of the same movie hasn’t exactly been a problem over the past decade, particularly for movies that had rabid fantasy/sci-fi/comic fans, like this one.

True… But if the first 2 editions don’t sell THAT well, then it might take a while for the ultimate version to show up. However the assumption is, that there should be enough nutty fans out there that it’ll sell alright.

So the anticipated difference between this version and the proposed Christmas version is only the Black Freighter stuff - or did they mention more?

Because I can live without the Black Freighter … Wasn’t exactly my favorite part of the comic.