Who watched Watchmen? (complete with SPOILERZ)

It looks like the Directors Cut Blu ray is indeed region free. So, anyone know of any dependable & affordable alternatives to Amazon I could order this from and have shipped to Europe?

Aren’t all Blurays region-free, at least currently?

No, Blurays are region locked, although with fewer regions than DVD’s had (and publishers release region-free discs more often than they did with DVD). But all PS3 games are region free, which is probably what you’re thinking of.

I’ll get the Director’s Cut. I liked the Black Freighter in the comic, but the DVD animated version was atrocious.

Yeah without the context of being on the watchmen, the black frieghter was pretty worthless. Also the idea of a comic giving an alegory for a comic is cool. The idea of a cartoon being intercut as an alegory into a movie seems somewhat less interesting.

God dammit :(

I have finally seen it, in director’s cut (did not see theatrical), and it is awesome.Never read the comics, although I wanted to read it ever since I read a review of it in 97 (I was 10 years old then : )).I think I will finally read it now, because I really liked the movie. The only thing that could have been better is the ending, which did not have enough punch.A lot happened, but it was not as powerful as it should have been.

But I can not say that many movies over 3 hours entertained me as much as this one.I really enjoyed every second.

Going to pick up Watchmen DC and Coraline tonight. Hope the extended parts of Watchmen are as good as people have raved about.

Has anyone heard of how the theatrical release of the directors cut has been received? I assume it was a pretty limited release and thus won’t really pull in alot of viewers…

Does anyone know which Blu-ray Netflix has? It doesn’t say Theatrical version or Director’s Cut, just Watchmen. So I’m not sure which one they have.

I think only the director’s cut is in Blu-Ray; it seems like the DVD has separate theatrical and director’s cut releases, while all BRs will be the DC.

Nobody Watches the Watchmen

I’m a nerd failure. I had forgotten about the December ‘Ultimate Watchmen Collector’s Blu-Ray’ and instead bought the Director’s Cut from Amazon yesterday.

From what I’ve heard, the Black Freighter animated segments won’t be missed, and perhaps I’ll prefer not to have them woven into the movie. However, the flyer for the Ultimate edition touts 2+ hours of bonus features, including the complete Watchmen motion comic and Hollis Mason’s Under the Hood. No idea if it’s just the text or some multimedia version.

I bought the Black Freighter standalone and the Under The Hood “mockumentary” was better than the Black Freighter cartoon. You get a lot of Hollis being interviewed at the Gunga Diner and more 1930’s-1960s footage. It really amazed me because of the care and detail that went into the black & white stills and footage.

I don’t think I’ll be getting the super-ultra edition. Frankly, I wasn’t impressed with the Black Freighter cartoon and I’d rather not have it in the middle of the movie.

I watched the Director’s Cut last night and the additional footage was a mix of good and WTF. The additional scenes with Hollis were really well done. His fight scene with the Knot-Tops was very moving. The additional scene with Silk Spectre and the government guys, and the scene with Rorshach in The Comedian’s apartment were both WTF moments. The Rorshach one was especially puzzling because nothing like it happens in the book.

Are those the only additions? I was hoping for more of Roshach’s backstory to make it in.

I think his soliloquy with the psychiatrist is a bit longer, but nothing much really. There’s an additional bit right after he finds The Comedian’s hidden closet, but it adds nothing to the character. In fact, it’s actually a bit distracting and I wish it had been left on the cutting room floor.

Most of the additions surround Hollis and Laurie.

That’s pretty disappointing.

Most of the extra bits are just things like a couple additional lines in most scenes. The mentioned extra little bit of Rorschach in the Comedian’s apartment didn’t add anything valuable, but I didn’t really mind it.

The bit with Hollis and the Knot-tops was good*. Dan’s reaction to the news would have carried more impact if not for the brutality in fights he already displayed previously (the thugs in the alley and whatnot).

*The beatdown, that is. The scene before that, when they decide to go do it? Wow. There’s some wooden clumsy delivery scattered here and there throughout the film, don’t get me wrong, but when they’re all “You know, he lives in an apartment over a garage near here!” you really expect a big gong to be rung and then they’d be shuffled off the stage and given complimentary copies of the home game. Wince-worthy.

That was one of the biggest worst-to-first film moments I have ever had. Watching the Top-Knots, I completely understood how it didn’t end up in the movie. YouTube martial-arts movie bad.

By the time it was over, my jaw was on the floor. So much more impactful and poignant than the comic. The Snydervision really went over, well, like gangbusters.

The Blu-ray’s Maximum Movie Mode was amazing. Best enhacned movie feature I’ve seen yet.

Maximum Movie Mode is basically a super-enhanced Picture-in-Picture commentary. It’s hard to explain, but periodically throughout the film, director Zack Snyder will “walk on” and talk you through the film, discussing production techniques, Easter eggs in the images, and so on. He stands on a stage in front of two screens. One shows the movie, and the other shows behind-the-scenes footage, screenshots, and more. But this isn’t all that happens. Snyder will freeze the movie, rewind, zoom in on the image, circle parts of the picture, cut to various production skills, show green-screen footage, and so on. The mode can even branch off into art galleries and “focus point” videos. Simply put, this feature is astounding. And the best part is that it runs flawlessly, without load times, skipping, or freezing. This is something that could never be done on DVD, and one of the best utilizations of Blu-Ray technology to date. The feature can take a good four hours to go through, so the disc will save your progress where you quit; you can turn the player off, swap out discs, and it will still remember where you are.

http://denver.yourhub.com/Golden/Blogs/Pop-Culture/Blog~638935.aspx