Who watched Watchmen? (complete with SPOILERZ)

I picked up the Ultimate Cut recently (with integrated Black Freighter). I’ve only watched half of it so far, but I really like it. Getting back the newsstand stuff, like Rorschach demanding his latest copy of the New Frontiersman is great stuff. I hadn’t seen the Director’s Cut either, so all of those changes are also new to me.

I got the Ultimate Cut for Christmas myself and watched it a few weeks ago. My verdict was that while the Black Freighter sequences were cool, they didn’t really add anything to the movie. In fact I think some actually detracted from it. The last sequence in particular cut away right before or during the climactic confrontation with Ozymandias. (I can’t remember specifically where it happened, but I remember it being jarring. I have to watch it again, obviously.)

However, the lead-ins and -outs for those sequences with the newsstand characters, as well as other new scenes like Hollis’ death, absolutely did add to the story. One of the problems I had with the movie is that it didn’t show Rorschach without his “face” before the big reveal when the police rip it off. Setting aside the fact that if you know Jackie Earle Haley plays Rorschach it ruins the surprise anyway, I like that they show him as the doomsday crier in the Ultimate Cut. I think my dad would like the movie, for instance, so if I can get him to watch the extended cut, he won’t spot the reveal as he’s not as aware of who plays who in something like this and probably wouldn’t realize that it’s Haley.

I’ll accept watching the Black Freighter sections as part and parcel of the whole, but if I watch the Ultimate Cut with anyone, I suspect we may end up fast-forwarding through the animated bits.

What’s the consensus on the “best” version to buy on Blu-Ray?

Think the ultimate cut is the same as the directors cut that was released earlier, except it has the Black Freighter extras incorporated into the movie - that’s probably the version closest to the book, but as a movie I think it kind of interrupts the flow and doesn’t contribute much.

If you have any interest whatsoever in the tie-in brawler games that were released last year, you can get both of them bundled with the director’s cut Blu-Ray for about the same price, provided that you’re willing to play them on the PS3. That’s the version that I have, because, you know, two free games. Why not? You won’t get the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff cut in with that title, though - I’m just fine without it (didn’t even like it in the comic), but if you want the 100% complete four-disc Lord of the Rings release edition that no human can actually watch in one sitting without falling asleep, you’d have to go to Ultimate Cut.

I agree. The Black Freighter bits are really jarring and out of place in the movie. From a technical point of view, the animation is really poor, which also detracts from the experience.

Anyone know if the blu ray of the Ultimate Cut includes an option to watch one of the shorter versions? (ie Theatrical or Directors Cut?) That’d a good feature to have - Some movies offer this option, but I suspect its too much to hope for, and they expect you to shell out for the other versions if you want them.

I ordered the UC via amazon.com but apparently it’ll take another month to reach me here in Europe - guess they’re sending it via the Pony Express…

I just watched this over the weekend without having read the book, too. I liked it, and will go back and read the thread to see what I missed.

I didn’t see any option like that on the Ultimate Cut BluRay.

I got the director’s cut for Christmas and it came with the option to get the digital version download. I was excited about this and when I went to get it I was prompted on whether I wanted the theatrical version or the DC. Being that I was using the code from a DC edition I thought it was a stupid question but when I chose the DC version I was told it would be ‘delivered’ in 6-8 weeks. WTF?! Anyone else experience this?

Yes, it’s ridiculous. Especially since the movie doesn’t even seem to actually be on the disc. It just downloads from iTunes when you put the disc in and type in the code.

FWIW, they do eventually send it, but it takes a long time. I requested mine a couple of days after buying the DVD on release, and just received my disc about a week ago.

The more people talk about the Ultimate Cut, the more I think I may just get the Director’s Cut with included games.

Figured as much…

What form / resolution / size do this digital versions come in?

The Black Freighter short is recently available on Netflix instant watch for those curious. It’s not horrible, but definitely isn’t a tragedy that it’s not there in the regular director’s cut.

Black Freighter itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t that great. Under the Hood, however, was spectacular and I hope it’s in the ultimate edition or ends up on Netflix instant. I think that’s what really should have gotten cut in, personally, though it works brilliantly as a post-movie supplemental of course.

Ask and ye shall…

Ha. I just checked a few hours ago and only saw it listed on disc. I do believe I’ll watch that again.

The Ultimate Cut come with pretty much everything. Black Freighter is integrated into the Director’s Cut (with additional Newsstand scenes), bunch of bonus features (not sure if any of these are unique), and also includes the Action Comic and Under the Hood.

I managed to avoid watching Watchmen until Christmas. The ultimate cut is WAY too long for a modern movie. It is Ten Commandments long. And it still managed to chop off interesting bits from the book. Yes the Black Freighter is in, but it was a right decision not to add it in its 1st run. As a movie it doesn’t need Black Freighter.

One thing that really bugs me is the ending. Yes I know they changed it, but after watching it, it made me realise it wouldn’t have made sense in that crazy 80s world: Dr. Manhattan was US’ biggest weapon/deterrent. Then suddenly the US’ said Dr. Manhattan had gone nuts and blown up dozens of cities. Would the Soviets believe that crap? Even if they believe it was real (considering the animosity it would take some pretty hard evidence), I don’t think they would suddenly join forces with US. In the back of their mind the Soviets would still think it was some kind of US ploy to manipulate them. There would not suddenly be global peace.

Not if that common enemy was something completely mysterious, like a giant psychic squid coming from nowhere.

I’m reading the graphic novel and I can’t wait to see what happens in the novel which isn’t in the film which makes “giant psychic squid” a preferred ending.