Who's excited about THE THING?

This game looks pretty sweet. I was reading up about it and it looks a lot like a Resident evil, but with more action and more suspense. the fact you have to keep your people from flipping out also sounds like a cool twist that hasn’t been done before. My buddy sent me this HTTP://ULTIMATETHINGFAN.TRIPOD.COM its got some good info. I saw the movie a long time ago and loved it, so hopefully the game’s pretty close to that. I heard it starts right after the movie ends? Anyone heard anythin else bout this one? Let me know!

One clip I saw at E3 (I assume it was a trailer of sorts) was fairly disturbing… looked good, too. Started off with a guy blowing his brains out with what looked like a Glock 9. Interesting.

They’ve been showing a commercial for it on G4. It looks decent and seems to be faithful to the film in a lot of ways. The developer is Computer Artworks who made the graphically brilliant but gameplay underwhelming game Evolva. So we’ll see how well it plays. Looks won’t be a problem for it though…

–Dave

Played it some at E3. The looks and sound were sharp. It was amusing to turn a flamethrower on a teammate and watch the party reactions. As long as the party sanity element is more than a surface-level gimmick, there should be something to look forward to here. And, P.S., it’s bloody.

In terms of the story, it picks up after the movie left off. You’re part of the team sent to investigate the ruins of the American base.

One clip I saw at E3 (I assume it was a trailer of sorts) was fairly disturbing… looked good, too. Started off with a guy blowing his brains out with what looked like a Glock 9. Interesting.

Someone’s been hitting the Murder Simulators a little too hard.

Well, I like The Thing, and I like The Thing from Another World, and I most especially like Who Goes There. But I’m a bit underwhelmed by the thought of a FPS/survival horror game that rehashes that same story again. Maybe I’m just burnt out on things jumping out at you from the snow.

Westwood (?) did a Blade Runner title several years ago that was a conventional adventure game, but the twist was that each time you played it, different characters were replicants. I can’t help but think this would be the way to go if you wanted to make a really good Thing game.

Of course, I suppose you could also just do a shooter kind of thing with freaky monsters, which is what I’m guessing this will be.

-Tom

I think I remember reading that The Thing is doing something similar. I only felt the need to play through Blade Runner once (then read about the other possibilities on GameFAQs), so I don’t think it really adds to the replayability of a game, but at least people will have different experiences with the game…