Who's your Secret Santa in the 12th Annual QT3 Secret Santa Gift Exchange?

Plays the same, but only two people on my gift list ever get digital. There is something just fun about the unwrapping part, for everyone involved.

The middle of that kind of reminds me of the texture of Tecula Mecula.

When I made it it wasn’t as shiny so I probably did something slightly off.

You make a compelling argument there. Sending a package to Patagonia would eat up the entire budget in shipping so in such cases digital might be the way to go.

When I purchased things for my friend in the UK, except for nerds and some other i guess things she considered hard or impossible things to get easily from the US, she gets digital games. I often by one of my sister’s digital games too, but not the other who is less techie although… her Fortnite addiction might make her lean more tech these days.

But as a general rule, if I can get it physical. And don’t get too excited about the wrapping, I’m terrible at it. I just hope the bright colors and the fact no one can see what it is is sufficient.

A workaround several of us has used is to buy digital stuff or order via the local amazon or similar to reduce shipping costs, and send a letter or something small in addition to personalize it.

This is a really good idea.

-xtien

Indeed I did.

Which he did. I loved it.

If I draw @scharmers I will kill my piggie bank in a most horrifying fashion, and buy his grumpy ass an oculus so he can get into 21st century flight simming and stop faffing about with them kiddie games. Oh wait, he aint playin, is he?

I wonder if he’d like this?

You know he would. I would burn it and piss on the embers, gopro the whole happening and post it in this thread :D

I’d play minecraft with the vr setup

You didn’t know and my wife still ate them and the wizard sits by my computer still to this day!

When do we get our Santees, @fire? I am all agog.

Yes. We need our pairing. The deals are rolling in. Hot times for the internet!

This reads like the greatest fortune cookie message ever.

-xtien

Just to confirm I understand how this works :

1- I’ll get sent a name
2- I’ll be given a hint as to what that person wants
3 - I’ll be given an address to send things to
4- I’ll buy something and spend ages wrapping it only to inevitably realise I suck at wrapping, at which point I’ll delegate the wrapping to the s.o. and make a cup of tea.
5. I’ll send said thing.
6. Profit???

Did I miss anything?

Only thing I’d note is that this may not be the case; some folks elect not to provide much personal detail about what they’re into. You can spend time stalking them on the forums, checking out their Steam wishlist surreptitiously, etc., or maybe just send them something slightly generic but awesome that you’re passionate about, etc.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD MAN

There’s the whole “secret” part. Some people announce who they are as part of the gift, some keep it completely secret. I don’t know the actual rule on that.

How do you keep it completely secret if you are mailing something?

1.5 is

I fixed that for @ArmandoPenblade. That’s the fun part. It’s also stressful, I will allow, for many of us. But it opens up other worlds. I had a blast figuring out the world of heavy metal for one of my Santees. I don’t think I succeeded, but it was fun to try.

Remove the words “slightly generic” and this nails it too. Some folks put up wish lists. It’s pretty easy to search wish lists on amazon for certain folks. But something you really love is preferable as far as I’m concerned. Because, again, it opens worlds. I like the idea of giving somebody something you like.

Yeah. Pretty much. But include a handwritten note to explain why you sent this particular thing, and that masks a ton of wrapping sin. Seriously.

I waited too long for my last Santee and sent the gifts through amazon without wrapping, because amazon has gotten so lazy about wrapping. They just dump the gifts in their faux velvet bags. But still, who am I to complain? I waited too long! So my last Santee’s wife wrapped the gifts. Which was pretty great. So I sent her a thank-you later by post.

Personal notes make a huge difference, and they don’t take a lot of time. Don’t worry about the beauty of wrapping.

-xtien

It’s absolutely fun, but by God when you get someone as prolific as @RichVR sussing out what he’s into that he hasn’t actually gone off and bought and played with in the interim since the post you unearthed about Thing X six months ago is hard ;-)

I included that as a barrier against anyone snarkily suggesting something like, “I really enjoy extreme high speed snowboarding down the backyard slopes in my winter home in the Alps, so I will send someone a case of $300/oz snowboard wax on a whim, since I think it’s super neat!” ;-)

Yes! Notes are the best :-D