Why are so many online gamers sociopathic assholes?

League already has a smurf detector. You get placed in a matchmaking pool with other smurfs.

Yeah, but is that based on in-game behavior, or things like IP address?

In any case, I guess the point is that like many things, the answer is partially “complex software solution”, because the problem is generated by a piece of complex software already, so we shouldn’t assume that the answer for League is going to be the same as the answer for WoW, is going to be the same as the answer for QT3. They all have different interactions with different reward mechanisms. Every game is already heavily moderated by context of how you interact in that game / online space, so every game is going to have a different solution.

It’s a question of designing “non-toxic player behavior” into the system from the ground up.

It’s based on in game behavior. I learned this by playing games on a different regions server with a friend who was just starting. It’s pretty easy to see a new account absolutely smash 10 games in a row against new players.

In reality, there’s probably some additional extra linear change in your MMR for win streaks at early levels when you’re expected to win about 1/2 of your games.

You could tie it to the ISP. Most places only have a couple of choices of ISP, so if you change it, sure fine but that cuts down 90% of people. If you’re a kid you’re not getting your parent to change the ISP anyway.

Except you can’t prosecute someone in Ukraine that’s harassing a player in Mexico, or whatever. Even with the best of intentions, there’s a huge jurisdiction problem.

They’re prosecuting the kid that Swatted the dude who was killed by the cops. Guy is still dead though.

Well of course they are.

The trick is you need to prosecute swatters even when nobody gets hurt. Just like DUI, the vast majority of drunk drivers never hurt anybody.

The kid was also in the same country where the crime took place.

I’ve played 1 game of league today (an ARAM no less) and only been told to hang myself once. Pretty good start to the day!

Do you flag the person who says this stuff? It would be on your team as cross team chat is straight up disallowed.

Yup, I told him i don’t appreciate how he negative to my team mates (after which he told me to hang myself), then reported him with the post-game chat clipped where he said that nice thing about me.

Does it upset me? Not at all. I’m laughing about it. I think you either develop a thicker skin playing these games, or you just don’t play. We had an unlucky team comp (it’s ARAM, it happens), and I knew from loading screen how it would go. No big deal! It’s people who can’t figure that out who get all cranky…

Btw, what do you mean by cross team chat disallowed? Is this new for season 8? 'Cause I’ve been playing since early S1, and it’s just a toggle…

It’s been a while since I played but never had issues chatting to the other team either. Might be new? Though I often simply /mute all preventively.

I think it’s off by default, but it works fine - most people toggle it on, but I can understand why you might not.

95% of this sort of chat comes from inside your own team, so it doesn’t make much difference.

Yeah I guess cross-team chat was ON by default in the early days and one of Riot’s first “toxicity reduction” strategies was to turn cross-team chat OFF by default.

As long as people are reporting the bad behavior, and the reporting interface makes it easy to do so, I’d hope that would work! The only reasons I can think it wouldn’t work:

• people trivially create new accounts all the time
  • no history / accountability for users with multiple infractions
  • staff does not follow up on flags

That said flagging isn’t the only angle of attack here, you need carrot and stick.

No doubt. Can’t blame this on the Boomers. :)

I don’t think 15 year old girls should have to deal with threats of rape online, no matter the thickness of their skin. Maybe it’s just me, but that crosses a line. I also don’t think swatting should be addressed only when people die either.

I’m with you. ‘Grow a thicker skin’ is a bullshit (collective) response. For an individual? Sure, makes sense as a survival technique. Get tough, or go away. But collectively we should work to do better and actually, you know, deal with the underlying issues.

I think we can find a way.

Let’s see, I’ll do my best;)

Well the boomers failed to contemplate and design ways of effective moderation of behavior and creating systems for enforcing social behavior when they designed the networking systems that became the internet. Ergo The anything goes world where there is no consequences for bad behavior is really their fault for designing systems in such a way that this became the norm.

How’d I do?

Neither should girls or women of any age. Too many people are pieces of crap.