Why aren't more games like Myth made?

Dark Omen is bloody hard though. Hard in the sense that I’ve never managed to finish the game. If I had to play it without a mouse I’d probably have given up after the second mission.

:shock: It was hard with the basic PS1 controller (I didn’t even have analog sticks!!!), but I did persevere and beat it. Maybe they tuned down the difficulty for the PS1- either that or I was just being my naturally 1334 self. :lol:

I enjoy building, and I enjoy the combat. I just don’t enjoy doing both simultaneously. That’s a bit of an exaggeration, I guess–there are certainly some “build and fight” RTSs that I enjoy. But even in those I often feel like I am playing two games at once, and not devoting as much attention as I’d like to either one of them. I found Myth refreshing much in the same way that SimCity is refreshing–it has an elegant sense of focus.

Take a look at Nordic warriors game - it is Myth inspired - but lacks of multiplayer - created by 2 men team here is a trailer:

Looks interesting. Thanks for the 17 year necro. Myth is one of my favorites.

I’d better not catch anyone drinking in this thread until it turns 21!

One of the best things about the Myth games was that they were inspired by Glen Cook’s Black Company series. The BC vibe was great and no other game since has really brought that. I mean sure, there was this but that was not a computer game.

Anybody tried Nordic Warriors? It has few Steam reviews but they are generally positive. I watched a short YouTube by Nookrium and it looks very Myth-ic. Curious about any impressions.

Nuts. thread necromancy got my hopes up.

I bought Nordic Warriors over the weekend and am through the tutorial and beginning the first chapter. If you are looking for a heavily inspired version of Myth I think that you will like this.

The developers are a husband and wife team. The game released in 2020 and they are updating the game. They did post that the delay in offering multiplayer was due to their having a baby. I am impressed by what they have created given that they also have full time jobs.

What I like so far: I can’t play Myth and this scratches the itch. It has very similar units (warriors, archers, alchemists (bomber dwarves) that chuck bombs and can lay mines that can be triggered by said bombs to set off chain reactions. Friendly fire is a thing to be avoided. The foes are very similar to the undead in Myth. You can have your units set in formations and when you move them they will take up position in their formation, but it is less fiddly than I remember it being in Myth. And like Myth, when one of your units dies a dispassionate voice intones, ‘casualty.’ As units die they leave a bloody chuncky mess on the battle field. You can change the settings for less gore, but why would you?

What is different from Myth: You have a figure central to the story, a shaman named Freya. If she dies game over. She has an AOE attack that recharges, she can heal her troops, and she can convert werewolves to join your cause. The graphics are modern in comparison but also have better contrast, I found Myth to be rather dark and murky. The lore is not as deep or rich as it was in Myth but it is sufficient to tell a compelling enough story. Terrain appears to be destructible, I don’t remember if that was the case in Myth or Soulblighter.

What I wish were different: The minimap orientation is different than the orientation of the main map. As in main map when oriented at 12 o’clock the minimap is oriented at 9 o’clock. I think it was that way in Myth but I can’t remember. You can set control groups, but rather than selecting 1 - 9 you select F1 - F9. Shrug. I’ve heard that units can have difficulty pathfinding, and they can get stuck on one another. As in, if you set up your archers in front warriors in the rear and then have the warriors rush through the ranks of the archers to melee the warriors can get stuck on the archers. I haven’t gotten far enough along to tell whether this has been fixed.

I suspect that it is as difficult as I remember Myth being. Like Myth chapters are not procedurally generated and I remember getting stuck at some point at a particularly difficult one, which I bet will be the case for me with Nordic Warriors.

One thing I noticed is that the tutorial music is the same music played in Deity Empires.

So, if you are looking for an updated version of Myth this could be your game.

As for me, “Found mine!”

Well bummer but I decided to refund this game. There were too many game breaking bugs in the second chapter. I had units that passed under a tree and got stuck under the tree and they would not obey move orders. My central character, the one that you can’t lose, got stuck at the slope of a hill and I could not move her.

This game has potential but I can’t recommend it at this time.

In case anyone else is interested.

I loved Myth 1+2 so much. Like others in the thread, I played more multi in there than any other game(s) since, combined.

That said, this looks very samey in single player with the same frustrations, I remember constantly reloading my game when a dwarf would fumble his bottle into my melee. The same attrition mechanic that made multiplayer so great, wasn’t so great in single player.

I can see a new Myth-type game that is more roguelike, so the challenge is to last as long as you can … that way you aren’t so fussed when things go awry and you can’t finish the story level as intended. That, and lots of dynamic cameras to really capture the chaos of the physics. In fact, I haven’t played it, but TotallyAccurateBattleSimulator looks kinda like an evolution of Myth… maybe a mix of TABS, Roguelite gameplay with some story sprinkled in serendipitously, would be the way to go. I disagree that TotalWar games are that similar to Myth gameplay, the onus on specialized units here and the intense micromanagement are almost more like directing [an American] football game in realtime.

But this looks stuck in the past, or until they get multiplayer going in a significant way. Gods, those capture the ball game were a riot when dorfs began punting that thing around the map. Wish I could watch some of my replays again.

Every time I want to replay Myth I just go back and read through the first Black Company trilogy instead.

Nordic Warriors is on sale for $10. Has anyone played it recently? Last comments were from November of '21 so I’d assume the small team of devs may have addressed many of the bugs. It looks interesting and has good Steam reviews.