Why CGI looks like crap so often nowadays

If you’re ever wondering, “Why don’t they use practical effects like they did in the Good Old Days?” - one reason is that practical effects can not only put actors in danger, but also give them PTSD even when things go “well”:

TLDR - Eric Idle on the filming of Baron Munchausen: “[At-the-time-8-year-old actor Sarah Polley] was right. She was in danger. Many times. It was amazing we never lost anyone.”

This was a tough read, as especially as Baron Munchhausen was one of my all time faves back in the day.

(I also never knew Uma Thurman was only 17 when it was filmed, yikes given her role in it.)

I was gonna post that exact same article here. Really astonishing. I haven’t seen that film since I was little and barely remember it; not sure I’d want to rewatch it but if I did it’d be difficult to go through it without being mindful of the insanity she mentions. That bit where she watches it holding hands with the special effects guy is heart breaking.

If the price for avoiding that sort of stuff is some occasionally naff looking CGI, it’s one I’m happy to pay.

I saw that tweet getting dunked on on twitter and I get it, but when I actually watched the clip it wasn’t as bad as I’d been led to believe.

I don’t think it’s bad at all. They seem to be making more fun of the “realism” of the rock-dude and the other characters in general, rather than specifically bagging on the CG work.

That said, I think the sentiment that Marvel demands a lot of CG work in very short turnaround is something I’ve been seeing more of.

CG FX studios were being taken advantage of by creative movie accounting and being shuttered before Marvel movies got into their swing unfortunately.

Devil’s advocate, most CG in the movie is on normal characters as there is a lot of work to get them to blend into set pieces and virtual backgrounds properly.

That being said, the clip wasn’t high enough res for me to really tell what they were criticizing. It needed to be higher res for it to really work.