Why Didn't Someone Tell Me I Was Doing It Wrong?

I’m 66, and only in the last year have I learned the proper way to cook a steak or open a bag of microwave popcorn.

So what have y’all just learned to do properly that you’ve been doing wrong all your lives?

Wait explain the popcorn opening please!

Tie my shoes, apparently. Or perhaps, i have offended the knot gods. Who is the Patron Saint of knots, anyway?

Because seriously i can’t keep my right shoe tied to save my life. It will become untied sitting at a desk. People will even remark after i point it out to them that, yea, actually, you tie your shoes over and over and nothing works. I have to retie my shoes probably 2-3 times while running.

Double knot?

I refuse!

Also, it loosens up behind the double knot, which is kind of the worst of both worlds, especially when running.

This is a good topic, because recently my wife told me that we’ve been using can openers all wrong for, apparently, forever. The blade of the can opener is supposed to cut along the outside of the rim of the can, not along the inside top of the can. I never knew this!

There is debate on this, as it does make the can edge where it was opened VERY sharp.

My dogs love cans of tuna, and I highly prefer the lid to be sharp (and discarded) rather than have my dog slice their tongue apart on a sharp can.

(OK, my dogs love almost everything from chicken to brussel sprouts to kimchee, but canned tuna is a big favorite.)

Yeah, this isn’t true.

It’s some thing that someone recently realized, but it doesn’t actually work on all cans, and when it doesn’t work, it gets all fucked up.

What gets all fucked up? I’ve noticed that it does seem a little messier, in that you’re cutting the lip of the can off along with the rim, but otherwise seems to work ok.

I tried it after seeing it, and it worked fine on some cans, and then I ran into some where it just stopped cutting after a bit, then had to be restarted, and basically just fucked up the top. It eventually cut it open, but it wasn’t worth it. Did the same thing on another can of the same stuff.

I didn’t bother really examining what was different about the cans compared to others.

The reality is though, can openers are in fact designed to be used in the way that everyone has always been using them.

Also WTF WHY NO ZOIDBERG

Note - if you’re left handed you probably already do this.

I don’t get it. How is that different from what he did the first time?

One goes over (the default, right handed weaker knot), and the stronger knot goes under.

Ah cool, yes, I see it now. I’ll have to try that tonight.

Edit: I just tried it, going under is not intuitive but it does seem stronger. Cool.

I used to open the bag like any other, rather than tugging on opposite corners.

Quick question, to forestall my doing it wrong: how does one say the word “latinx”? Is it said like Latin-X, as two separate words? Or one word, like la-teenks? I realize it’s a dumb question but I have no idea.

It’s a fairly recent made-up word, so whatever sounds better to you. Either latin X or lateen X. I’ve never been clear why they don’t just use “latin”, it’s not like anyone’s going to mistake someone alive today for a two thousand year old civitas of the Imperium Romanum but whatevs.

Back on the topic of the thread, opening a banana from the bottom is much easier. That’s how monkeys do it.

IIRC the x is also meant to replace the traditional gendered -o or -a suffix to make the term more inclusive (e.g., by default in Spanish, mixed sex groups are always referred to with the male version, Latinos), more than keeping people from thinking you went out to the big Roman rights march the other day.

It’s used in place of Hispanic to decolonize the collective term, as apparently some people find having their cultural group referred to as a sub-branch of the Europeans who raped and murdered their way across the continent a few centuries ago to be…sub-optimal.

To your question, 3D, as far as I know, it’s La-teen-Ecks, using the Spanish long “i”

It’s the Latin Ten, then the Latin Ten-Ess, Latin Ten-Ess-Max, and the Latin Ten-Arr.