Why do my dishes stink like wet dog...

Arise, O Thread!

I was still getting the “wet dog smell” occasionally, plus it always looked like the dishes could use a second rinse, so I finally took the trouble to learn how to adjust the rinse agent dispenser setting. The factory default is 5 out of 6 for some kooky reason, which for Portland is nuts, since we have fairly soft water (not quite “you can never get the soap off when you shower” soft but just a bit harder than that). I adjusted it down to 2 and the wine glasses look much clearer when coming out of the dishwasher.

BTW, another thing someone mentioned above --powdered dishwasher detergent-- where do you even get that anymore? My local grocery stores don’t seem to have it. I suppose you can get it on Amazon, etc. I hate those “one size fits all” tablet things. For now I’m using liquid Cascade stuff that I get at Costco when it goes on sale.

Amazon. I’ve mistakenly ordered it once. Cascade Complete Powder.

I bought a box of regular powdered detergent at Target and I’ve seen them at Walmart too. I use pods in the main compartment and powder in the pre-wash compartment.

Thanks, I ended up ordering some. How did you mistakenly order it, just curious. Did you think you were ordering the pods or whatever?

BTW, my Bosch doesn’t have a “pre-wash” compartment, so I have the option of spilling a drop or two of the gel stuff (or a bit of the powder when I get it) into the main area of the dishwasher to achieve the same effect.

I was out of the pods and apparently the last Amazon source I ordered from was no longer there. I quick-clicked on the first Cascade Total I saw not knowing they even still made powder only. It took a LOOOONG time to go through that thing.

Heh, then it’ll probably take me even longer, due to our soft water here.

I watched the video that @Thierry_Nguyen linked to and found that thing out about the liquid versions, so if I want to control how much stuff I use I really have no option but to use powder if I want to have both bleaching (for tea stains etc.) and the other thing the guy in the video mentioned, which now escapes me.

For what it’s worth it cleaned just fine. I have a really old unit though. Unless I buy really cheap detergent for it, it seems to clean just fine. It’s just loud and not very energy efficient.

I have a Bosch and recently had a pot that had a burnt plastic smell. At first I thought it might have been the bonding agents in the cork trivet I sat it on, but I remembered that there was a faint plastic smell when I was cooking. I figured it out a couple of days later when I was pulling the dishes out of the dishwasher and my big pot had a sticky residue on it. It was by the door and rinse aid had leaked on to it. It turns out that the seal on the rinse aid door was no longer doing its job. I was worried that it would require the entire dispensing unit to be replaced but some quick googling turned up that this is a common problem, and you can get a replacement for a rinse aid door which I proceeded to do.

We simply stopped using the dishwasher as an economical alternative to taking the dogs to the groomer for a bath. Worked like a charm!