Why do people say MOO was better than its sequel MOO2?

You are literally the only person on the planet who has played Moo, since it re-appeared on GOG (and later Steam), at 320x200.

[quote=“robc04, post:115, topic:128875”]
Boy, if you lose the council vote and decide to fight on it can take a while to win on a large map - but I finally got a win on game number 3. I went on a slash and burn rampage so I wouldn’t have so many worlds to try and protect. I made a huge bomber that was fast, high defense and as many bombs as it could carry. I would have given it a cloak once it became available but by then I knew the victory would come so I didn’t bother.[/quote]

You don’t need bombs to destroy planets, FWIW. Some beam weapons will do it very well. The enemy planetary shield tech is a huge factor, though. If you happen to score the Death Ray it’s pretty moot. But the Maulter Device will do a pretty good job typically. Torpedos are actually also really good for this task (an incongruity IMO, one of the game’s few true examples of that). the benefit of Beams and Torps is that you don’t need to get as close, especially if you gt the High Energy Focus or the Stellar Converter (it’s the only range 3 beam weapon). Or, you know, torps.

Of course subspace teleporters can make bombing much easier. You get the idea.

The thing is, it’s not really about “sliders” versus “a production queue”. These are just UI represenations of how to manage certain mechanics. Setting aside the problems with Moo2’s queue/queues in general (no savable templates, no “smart” templates, too short), it’s about complexity of mechanics, or rather false complexity. This isn’t to say that everything about Moo2 suffers from this, it’s that some things do.

Take the movement of pop/troops in both games. In Moo, you just click on a planet, click “transfer”, select the destination, and voila. If it’s friendly, you drop people off. If it’s hostile, you engage in MORTAL KOMBAT (queue industrial beat). It’s an abstract mechanic that fits perfectly into the game. Not so with Moo2. Here you’ve got two separate items for transporting pop and soldiers. In both cases you have to build these things deliberately, and one of them (transports) is finite/used up once people land. The presence of both types of ships in the game is semi-abstract. You can’t literally fight them, but they’re still represented in the game world. There’s a lot of stuff in Moo2 like this. For it’s mechanical strengths and variety, mechanics like this just sort of jut out from the game. This is adding detail and micromanagement for no benefit.

The production queue stuff is fixable. For reasons surpassing human understanding practically the entire genre has ignored an evolution of the mechanic, one that I think started in SMAC (you could save templates). At least some games made them infinite, which is ok but not great. If you didin’t pay attention to the MooNew thread, it managed to make them worse than they were in Moo2 (the queues are shorter and there are many more buildings to build even on specialized planets, also game forces you away from planet specialization somewhat so it’s a triple whammy). A feat that should have been impossible. But the issues are there in Moo2 and it makes for a shitload of work.

Moo2’s mechanical differences are welcome from a “the spice of life!” standpoint if nothing else. It does do a lot of things well. For people who prefer the first, though, the increased amount of “chore” type work it adds represents a major fault. I play both games (once I exhaust my current run of Moo games I’l sidle back into 2, although I recommend the ICE Mod to anyone playing 2 these days). And I’ll enjoy my time with 2. But not as much as 1.

My copy of that MOO1 strategy guide arrived yesterday. Haven’t dug into it in any depth yet, but I’ve read the intro section and casually flipped through most of the rest of it. You’re right. It’s basically an encyclopedia for the game. Seems to have just about anything you’d ever want to know about how the game works/plays. They definitely don’t make these things like they used to. That’s for sure.

No regrets on my purchase. My “very good” quality copy is obviously used, but the binding is still solid and none of the pages are torn or stained or discolored. There are a few notes written in the margins here and there and a few places with bits of information circled or underlined in pen, but nothing obnoxious. It looks like the previous owner(s) got some good mileage out of it, but valued it enough to take pretty decent care of it. I’ve seen much younger paperback books beat up much worse (I was even responsible for some of those cases myself). Now I’m tempted to see what other games have old guides that approach this quality. If nothing else is a great nostalgia trip for the glorious gaming days of yore!

This and Master of Magic are among the best of the best, but other great guides include:

Skyrim
X-Wing and TIE Fighter
Imperialism 2
EF2000
Acendancy

I’ve heard the guide for the original Civilization is amazing, but I’ve yet to get a copy of that one.

Well sure, it scaled up 320x200 to fill my 40" 4K display (in 4:3).

It was still 320x200.

Yeah I still have my MoM guide around. Should dig it up.

You realize you’ll be getting no sympathy about this, right?

I’m typically not very forgiving when a game looks really bad, but I’ve just played my 5th game of MOO in like a week.

I finally won a council vote. I had more votes than the next highest for several votes, but not enough to get the 2/3rds needed. They were also higher tech level than I was and at the time had a stronger fleet. I decided it was time to destroy a lot of colonies.

The AI doesn’t handle this tactic very well. They tend to have a main force and a lot of weaker forces, so it’s pretty easy to just have a stack or two dedicated to destroying enemy colonies once you get a fleet built that can withstand the missile bases long enough to take out the defenses.

I tend to like to build powerful ships, but it’s very effective to build smaller ships equipped only with missiles so planet defenses can be taken out quickly from a distance - like @peacedog mentions above.

I played MoO for the first time when it came up in the classic game club, about 2 years ago. I also played MoO2 for the first as well.

I found the original better, for reasons covered above. I think the less cuddly nature works to its benefit, as it places less strain on a UI that is dated. And the shorter into the action and campaigns mean that what is still great is not hidden by features that have been done better in intervening years.

And I also think @Balasarius is nuts when it comes to resolution. Let it go man, the resolution is fine ;)

I’m this way with the original XCOM. I don’t care what it looks like. The whole thing, sounds, music, looks just bring me back to when I first started playing it.

That is another classic I really need to give a go.

To show off, some of my prized possessions.

It’s interesting that you placed the rest with the MOO guide.

I had the MOM and the X-Wing guides as well, they were quite good but nowhere near MOO. I got the MOO guide as one of my first guides and spent the rest of my life looking for another like it, basically buying guides left and right for the games I had. Never found one…

And Prima’s quality just got worse and worse. It became a publisher for picture books with screenshots instead of a proper “strategy” guide.

Edit: I should hunt the MOM guide and re-read that. Maybe my obsession with MOO colored my perspective.

Edit: The other awesome guide/manual was the Falcon 3.0 manual. Just an amazing guide. I remember it had dogfight tactics from combat flight school covered.

I was able to get that wonderful book delivered from the US to France for 2 bucks a few years ago. I just checked on Amazon, and like the MoO guide mentionned in this thread, it seems speculation has gone crazy over it. Upon checking, your Master of Magic guide, that seems oh so very sexy as well, is also going for crazy prices.

I have a great souvenir of the EF2000 guide.

Super jealous dude. That guide has been impossible to find. More difficult even than the Starflight clue books.

So as not to derail any further, I’m thinking of starting a thread on guides/manuals. Would y’all be down?

The biggest weakness of the MoO AI is that it just does not have a concept of strategic bombing; either to use or defend against.

The AI moves to capture planets, not just destroy them. There are breakpoints in the tech tree where offense will have an advantage against planetary defenses, if you get there, wipe out their industrial base. Even if they just rebuild, you are slowing them down. Sadly, this is a technique the AI will not use against you.

Additionally, by wiping the colony off of a really nice planet, you can start up a nice game of “let’s you and him fight” as all the AI players aim to capture it. You can set off some impressive wars that way.

Most definitely. I grabbed a copy of the guides for the original Civilization (Edit: Looks like I might have gotten lucky since I grabbed a copy for about $10. Amazon now shows this one for about $65. Yikes… It also had a picture on that page before, but it’s gone now that I am trying to link it for some reason) and MoM as well that should arrive next week. i’m debating grabbing the Imperialism II guide too, but I’m already approaching critical mass on frivolous spending on this stuff for a while. Anyway, I’ve got a lot of reading to catch up on!

I hope that the moo1 remakes coming out now fix the problem the AI has with this. I’d like to see some mechanism to make it so smaller ships can compete with huge ships because right now huge ships have a bunch of advantages that add up to complete superiority when you have enough industry to build them.

Also, i’d like to see a way to see the pop/fac balance on a planet without having to get into a screen- the big advantage of moo1’s planet management is that you can do it from the main screen and you don’t have to go into a subscreen to set everything up, but having to go into a screen to see your factories and population is a notable problem.

MOO1 is structured more like a board game than anything else. The separate screens are there because of the game’s low resolution; I’m pretty sure an actual remake would solve that problem easily. Just look at the amount of information available in the side panels of the various GalCiv games. Unfortunately, “remakes” tend to focus more on MOO2 and try to simulate star systems with multiple planets, etc.

But MOO1 in its current form is probably the best 4X we’re likely ever to have.

Dude, you need to play more Imperialism II and Age of Wonders 3 ;)