Why does PC Gamer get most of the PC exclusives?

Doom 3. Half Life 2. Star Wars Galaxies, GTA: Vice City etc…

It seems that PC Gamer get’s most of the exclusives while CG and CGW are left out to dry. Why is this?

Does PC Gamer hold more clout then these other 2 magazines? What is their secret?

:D

Probably because it’s still (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) the largest of the computer gaming magazines.

Peter

All three magazines have Half Life 2 this month, and both PCG and CGW feature it on the cover. Half Life 2 is not really “exclusive”. If anything is exclusive this month its CGM’s Thief 3 article.

They cheat.

Last I saw numbers PCGamer had the highest circulation rate, followed closely by CGW. They have the biggest Brit mag as well, I think. It probably just comes down to that.

I’m just curious Bub, but what is PC Gamers circulation rate? I figure it has to be around 350,000. Is that correct?

Yeah, I hear they got the Gameshark Journalism Enhancer. Half-Life 2 exclusive is A5AA7BD68ABFBE2F ECF23D403C053C2A.

I’m just curious Bub, but what is PC Gamers circulation rate? I figure it has to be around 350,000. Is that correct?[/quote]

Doesn’t PCG also have the most shelf space in drugstores and convenience stores? They are everywhere and must have the largest impulse market.

Troy

That was true a couple years ago. Not sure about now.

I’m just curious Bub, but what is PC Gamers circulation rate? I figure it has to be around 350,000. Is that correct?[/quote]

Doesn’t PCG also have the most shelf space in drugstores and convenience stores? They are everywhere and must have the largest impulse market.

Troy[/quote]

Yeah, they ship more copies to retail than the others and have the highest newstand sales.

Just because a mag says they have the “exclusive” dosn’t mean they do. For ‘exclusive’ reviews well we know how they can do that. For previews I don;t really see it. As was said CGW has HL2 this month too. CGM has Thief III this month(surprisingly I got that in the mail today already). I think PC Gamer it just uses the word exclusive the most.

Read Bauman’s editorial in the May 2003 issue of Computer Games for more on PCGamer’s ability to, urmm, stretch the truth a bit. Some mags say they have exclusives because they visited the studio…hence, they saw things that no one else saw, EVEN if those other people went to the studio as well. Because technically, they could not have seen the exact same things. using fuzzy logic like that helps you get exclusives.

people here are doing the same thing and i tell ya they dont even use logic or try to muster up an excuse to justify the word. they just put ‘exclusive’ on the page when they feel like it. its just a way to get people to buy their mag. i dont ever trust that adjective on a mag cover anymore. besides, i get plenty of exclusives on the web daily…

Well now that they’ve got Baghad Bob in charge, I think you’ll see a lot more exclusives.

“Duke Nukem Forever, we have it, we’re running it now!”

“Prey, the inside scoop!”

“Starcraft II, source code samples on our machines.”

In the long run, giving the former information manager a position will pay off big time I predict.

Actually, each article is exclusive. You can only read PC Gamer’s Half-Life 2 preview in PC Gamer, etc.

This is only the second time I’ve seen a game get all three covers in the same month, if that’s what is happening. Lucasarts did the same thing when they unveiled a bunch of Episode 1 games.

A little over 321,000 as of last month, and it looks to be climbing steadily back up. I suspect this month’s big topic will provide a bit of a boost as well.

http://www.futurenetworkusa.com/news/2003/pr-2003-03-03.html

UK is around 75k, last I checked, maybe more. It’s roughly equal to our numbers, per capita, IIRC.

CGW hasn’t updated their circ numbers in a while, from what I Googled.

Thief 3 is our June cover, not Half-Life 2. But Half-Life 2 has a prominent cover mention (duh).

CGW’s coverage is “Exclusive” according to its cover, I believe. I don’t recall PC Gamer’s saying that, and our coverline doesn’t claim it’s exclusive either. Exclusives do help sell issues, though I’m not entirely sure that using the word is as important as actually having the exclusive in the first place.

I don’t have any copies at home, but I think you’ll find CGW uses that term more than anyone. PC Gamer seems to use it more when it’s legitimately an exclusive story. I try pretty hard to only use it when it’s actually true (if it’s on there when it turns out it wasn’t exclusive, that’s generally an error or we were provided incorrect information), as in the case of our Thief 3 cover this month. I’ve removed the word from our July cover, because it isn’t truly “exclusive” in the sense that the product has been announced and there are a couple of screens floating around. Yeah, we’ll have the first big story and dozens of screens, but technically it’s no longer “exclusive.”

Stretching the definition to mean, “That exact article can’t be found elsewhere” is something game magazines seem comfortable doing, but I don’t see it with a lot of other publications (maybe some people see it elsewhere; I’d be curious if anyone does). When Newsweek has an “Exclusive,” it means it’s not in any other publication that week. Okay, so maybe game writing isn’t that important, but I don’t find Entertainment Weekly claiming it when it isn’t true either. Magazines typically whine about game companies hyping their products but have no issue with hyping their own issues. I’m trying to figure out ways to write interesting coverlines without resorting to “Exclusive! Best Reviews Ever! Most Popular!” all that stuff that game magazines seem alone in using. Seriously, look at other competing magazines–few seem to resort to the kinds of tactics the game magazines do when writing their coverlines. Though the magazines are different, look at how Newsweek and Time compete, or Car & Driver and Road & Track… the game magazines seem to use tabloids as their role models. It’s very weird.

Saying it’s an “exclusive” when it’s not doesn’t really bug me as a newsstand buyer – whether or not it’s also in another magazine, at least it’s in the one I’m buying. If it’s also in another mag, it doesn’t dilute the value of what I bought.

What does bug me as a buyer is when someone touts an “exclusive first look” at a new product, and then you discover the coverage is three paragraphs in the News section or as part of another feature.

And that’s something that PCGamer does do, from time to time. I agree–it’s annoying.