Why doesn't America believe in evolution?

Sigh. I was a horny young idiot, she was a hot receptionist at my work. In my defense, I can only offer that “it seemed like a good idea at the time”.

We’re not all Catholics man. For plenty of christians (myself included) suicide is a sin, but it’s not a one-way ticket to hell. It’s just a one-way ticket to wherever you were already headed right before you kicked away the stool.

I think it’s a little different.

I don’t hate people who preach against evolution. Despite my thoughts that, at it’s core, the preaching is based on racism. They don’t want to be black, they don’t want to have anything to do with being black, and that’s fine. I don’t hate them for that, not at all. Actually I don’t hate them for any reason.

The problem I have is that it’s shrouded in bible verses as something legit.

“Oh hey no offense, it’s not you … we love you, but it’s in the bible.”

The evolution argument reminds me of the LDS Church and the “Mark of Cain” or the various religious based white nationalist / aryan movements that interpret scripture to further and support their idealogies and reasons to exist.

Like Jason, I believe that Christianity is about peace and good will, but it sure looks like it’s only supposed to apply to certain people.

Dude I’ve been saying the same thing about you ding dongs for years now and you listen about as good as me.

But we don’t have any shit!

Like Jason, I believe that Christianity is about peace and good will, but it sure looks like it’s only supposed to apply to certain people.

See, there’s a form of Predestination says that everyone was saved by Jesus’ sacrifice. Everyone. Want salvation? You got it. Don’t want it? You get it anyway! Hindu? Saved! Atheist? Save! Satanic hardcore bunny-raping child-sacrificing wife-beater? Saved!

presbyterians ftw

Isn’t Christianity really about there being no way into heaven except through Jesus? At its core it’s all about accepting Jesus as your lord and savior. Jesus is very love and peace, but love and peace doesn’t get you into heaven.

It kills me that it’s cool to hate people if they don’t want to believe we were once monkeys, but it’s not cool to hate them if they think it’s cool to blow innocent people up. Nice.

Yep, that’s how it is. Everybody who can follow the science that shows men and apes share a common ancestor HATES creationists and LOVES terrorism. The Daily Show’s “Evolution, Scmevolution” week? Hate speech. Jon Stewart might as well have had an armband and jackboots. That sort of hate is why crimes against creationists are so prevalent in this country. It’s why creationists are so afraid to speak out and make themselves be heard. It’s a shame they have to live in fear.

O_o

The liberals here have such an overabundance of it that I’m almost ready to start digging through it looking for the pony.

I view people who are uninformed about evolution pretty much the same way I’d view someone who thought the sun revolved around the earth. I shake my head and shrug and wonder what century they are living in.

Now, when they start taking over school boards to shovel their ignorance onwards, then I start to hate them.

Yes, Matt, that’s what I believe. As usual, you are spot on with your observations.

I think that’s a very black and white view of alternative opinions.

Do you think it is not possible to both oppose Hamas for dropping bombs on civilians, but also oppose Israel doing the same?

I’d love you to point to someone who hates creationists but doesn’t hate those who deliberately kill civilians.

Isn’t Christianity really about there being no way into heaven except through Jesus? At its core it’s all about accepting Jesus as your lord and savior. Jesus is very love and peace, but love and peace doesn’t get you into heaven.

The former, yes, but the point of predestination is, Jesus has already made the sacrifice, so you’re already through the door.

How you react to that gift is your business.

American’s ability to make sound judgements on science and interpret and critically assess data is indeed poor. But not just on one side of any of the current discussions. There’s bad science being bandied around on a lot of topics. Basically Americans listen to or read something and if the word “expert” is on the topic, they believe it. I heard an ex_CIA guy on CNN right after the London terror threat talking about the explosive in the drink bottles, and he said “Oh, that’s something we’ve long known about, diacetone peroxide, its a common form of TNT.” Which is absolutely nonsensical, but I heard his quotes then quoted in papers and other media outlets. OK, not a good example of judgement but an example of how anyone can be deemed an “expert” and automatically believed.

If you took those quotes out of context, separated them, and removed the sarcasm, I think you’d find the intersection of the set of people who agreed with one and the set of those who agree with the other is greater than two-thirds of the union, and that this intersection constitutes the majority of Californians, if nothing else.

Do creationists hate people who deliberately kill Iraqi civilians?

Ok. Perhaps you are right, but given the amount of vitriol that seemingly inconsequential disagreements in the game forum can unleash I don’t think most of the sniping and animosity here is disproportional or suprising, considering the relative importance of the disagreements.

I keep seeing this

but with the arrows replaced by little 's

Are you Winifred? Just curious.

Thank goodness for Theo Dobzhansky who, in his consummate Creationist religious work Genetics and the Origin of Species, introduced the terms to common use and specifically claimed his reluctance to equate macro- and micro- evolution because of his midwestern Bible-belt ignorance.

Have you ever been to California?