Why doesn't America believe in evolution?

Except that I just described an ideology by a mainstream religion that does exactly the opposite of that.

You make a good point about the three parts of the Mosaic Law. There was the Ten Commandments (which were like an overall moral code), the laws having to do with national life (criminals, lending money, taxes, etc), and the laws having to do with actual spiritual matters (sacrifices for sin, etc).

Which is what I disagree with. Creationsts didn’t differentiate the two terms at all, a respected evolutionary biologist did. All Creationists did was agree that this was a useful distinction and latch on to it.

Previous threads on QT3 have had people (not Tim) claim that the entire thing was made up by religious people to begin with and that simply isn’t the case. When someone asks me, a Creationist, what is the dividing line between the evolution we know exists because we can see it, vs the one I don’t believe to exist, I use the conveniently-defined-by-evolutionists terms as a good, if blurry, starting point. I invite you to look up previous threads here where the micro vs macro distinction comes up.

So what?

Well…finding Earth Shoes isn’t as easy as it used to be. ;) But seriously, please note that I didn’t say “all Christians”…I said a specific sect of Christians. Not quite the broad brush stroke you imply.

Also note that I didn’t even get into the whole apes=man argument.

Technically, evolution science doesn’t believe that we evolved from apes, either.

I think the biggest reason behind those poll results is the mistaken belief that evolution = atheism. As long as it’s preached that evolution removes the need for a God and that evolution proves Christianity is a myth (and I hear that from both Christians and evolutionists), evolution won’t be widely accepted. If it comes down to a battle between the concepts of God and evolution, God will win.

If greater support were given to the idea that evolution and Christianity could co-exist, I think that idea would slowly gain widespread acceptance. I’ve known fundamentalist Christians who have come to accept evolution due to its seeming compatibility with Genesis. But few of the Christians I’ve known have ever heard an argument for that idea, and I’ve certainly never heard an evolutionist argue for it. When I read an article by a proponent of evolution, there are almost always smug potshots at religion in there. I think people like that are as much a part of this problem’s origin as those “religious nuts” they so love to sneer at.

Sure it does. We still are apes.

We didn’t decend from any living apes, for the same reason you’re not a descendant of your cousin.

Yeah, case in point, all of my fellow evolutionists who came out of the woodwork a few weeks ago to crap all over that gene sequencer guy who believed that evolution and genesis were compatible.

I never quite understood that - this guy is clearly a scientist, and while you may disagree with him, finding ways to make religion and science compatible without sacrificing science seems like it’s only a good thing.

It means I win!!! bwahahahaha

They’re certainly compatible. You just have to remember that almost nothing in the Bible is, or was ever meant to be, an accurate historical accounting of events. Even with the endless “begats,” one part that you could argue is intended to be somewhat accurate, the word translated as “begat” can refer to multiple generations… “Hootie begat Zoe” doesn’t indicate whether Zoe is Hootie’s daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter, or what have you. And again, although you could argue that it’s meant to be somewhat accurate, that doesn’t mean that was the intent.

The whole idea that an historical account should be accurate and unbiased is way, way ahead of the times in which the Bible was written and compiled. Up until a few centuries ago, it was all about “interpretation” and “demonstrating a greater truth.”

Crop rotation.

Crop rotation was already mentioned in the Roman literature, and referred to by great civilizations in Africa and Asia.
:)

Are there really instructions in the Talmud to clean your surgical instruments by boiling?

I know there’s stuff in Leviticus/Numbers about priests in a doctor’s role, and they’re told to wash completely and thoroughly before and after.

To whom was that addressed? And for the record, I am me…and to the best of my knowledge, nobody else is…unless those sneaky bastards are hiding in my closet again. I hate when that happens. They always stretch out my pumps.

In the spirit of my poll on homophobia, which was born of the suggestion by Damien Falgoust that I will support any stupid idea just to be contradictory, YOU’RE ON.

Wow. Once Jason decides to join P&R he really jumps in!

BTW, put me down for hating McMaster more than I hate terrorists ;)

There’s actually quite a bit in there about how to handle social stuff. If someone has bodily sores, the priests were given specific directions on how to handle them, wait to see if temporary or permanent, and so forth. They had directoins on what to do if a house was contaminated by molds and mildews. They were told how to handle dead bodies (human and animal). There is a ton of basic how-to info for day to day living in the “non-religious” parts of the Torah, and this is only what written parts made it to today as there was clearly far more in the oral traditions.

That’s it, I’m stopping by Huntsville on my next trip.