Why doesn't the U.S. eat Mutton like Northern Europeans?

Lamb is pretty popular here in NZ, mutton very much less so.

We produce a lot of it (NZ and Aus account for about two thirds of the worldwide export market) but people still complain that it’s more expensive than it needs to be (compared to other options like chicken or beef).

Lamb loin chops (like @stusser mentioned above at $15/lb on sale) are about $8/lb here (not on sale).

A full leg lamb roast (a popular family gathering/holiday meal) is just under $4/lb.

You’ll understand when you’re older.

Do they call me “JR, the Oil Driller”? No, they don’t….

Bestiality joke, well done, sir. Well done.

More and more ,thanks to things like Youtube and other online resources, I find myself cooking things I’ve never personally had before, just because they are difficult or even just annoying to acquire locally. It’s an. . . interesting experience for sure. This past Spring at the annual cabin party in the mountains, I was cooking Korean dishes I’d never seen or eaten before to serve to other people, some of whom had had them, and having to check my authenticity by third party! :insert crying-laughing emoji here:

I don’t understand. Can someone spell it out for me?

T-H-E-Y F-U-C-K T-H-E S-H-E-E-P

the meat variety tends to be beef, chicken, or pork. Occasionally things like chicken livers.

Also lamb is expensive in comparison. I can regularly get chicken and pork at $2/lb and steak at $5/lb (and good quality on all of those too)

The old TAMU joke is a joke…mostly

Speaking of the devil…

Haunch of terrycloth. Looks yummy.

Golly! You might need some assistance with that thing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Passion-Lubes-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant/dp/B005MR3IVO/

Well to clarify, my experiences and my cooking approaches include a lot more variety than my parents ever made for me or even treated me to when I went out to dinner. I know what beef tastes like though. I mean there are thousands of way to cook it but I have a general idea of what beef, chicken, and fish tastes like. Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Spanish… I am still working with ingredients I generally have a basis for. I cooked an almond and egg tart and every ingredient in it I’ve used before. My only question when I was done is if the almonds needed to be softer despite being pre-blanched in the package.

It’s hard to work with a protein you don’t know anything about. And yes, it might look like pictures online but that doesn’t tell you if the texture is right, if the temperature is quite there. It’s just different. I tell my family I used to think I hated steak… what I hate is sirloin. I played with the other cuts, and NY strip, T-Bone, Ribeye… those I love.

Lamb has but one rule: Don’t over cook it. It goes from sublime to ugh-meh.

Whether or not the lube helps is a personal decision.

Shoulder, shanks and belly, roast it low and slow. Neck, shanks and scrag in a casserole.

Shoulder was my favourite, cook it long enough for you to be able to shake the meat gently off the bone. I made a paste from butter anchovies, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and any other herbs i fancied that day and left it in at 160c for a good few hours
Anything you guys do with a pulled pork shoulder will work fine too. Lamb holds spice sour and sweet really well.

Legs often roasted but I butterfly half legs and grilled over coals.

ps all past tense as im off red meat for health reasons.

I do have a recipe for leg of lamb. It’s been sitting on my refrigerator for me to find someone who sells it. The local butcher is almost literally down the street, but they’re expensive, hugely, except for ground beef and sausage which is better than most the chain stores in terms of price.

FWIW, a friend of mine swears by Sam’s Club for decent New Zealand lamb at a reasonable price. I don’t have a membership, though, and I never remember to ask for any.

I won’t buy meat from wal-mart. They don’t even have a meat department. I assume Sam’s Club might be the same but I am not sure. We don’t have one anywhere close to me.

The Sam’s stuff is good.