Why don't I like Resident Evil 4? UPDATE: Oooh, maybe I'll like this 2023 remastered version!

That’s what I did. Just finished it a couple hours ago actually, and had a blast. It definitely holds up very well in my opinion, even with the old-style movement controls. I’m sure I’ll eventually pick up the remake, but I have no urge to do so for the foreseeable future.

I had tried this (PC) port back in the day and it quite frankly sucked, but with the HD mod (which includes the excellent RE Tweaks mod), it’s spruced up quite nicely. You can even increase the FOV if you choose to (I definitely chose to). And if you want to use KB+M (I didn’t), the mod actually tries to make that usable, which it really wasn’t in the original port.

I had originally played RE4 on GameCube (and I still have that), but I had just as much fun with this version as I did with that one.

Now I’m off to replay Resident Evil 1.

There is a boss fight that can be rendered easier with foreknowledge, but I’m not sure if the back tracking it takes to secure part of that equation will be a time saver for speed runners. I’ll be curious to see.

I wish I could sequence break the play as Ashley sequence.

You can! The clock time only changes depending on difficulty setting so you can input it right away and head straight down to the crypt.

You still need to get the keys though don’t you? That doesn’t preclude heading straight down into the crypt, sure. But I don’t think knowing the time saves a ton there (granted, speed runners and people doing 5:30 S+ runs will care a great deal, and bully for them).

Finished my first run.

Had an absolute blast. This was a start to finish positive experience for me that was a triumph in its own right while increasing my appreciation of the original. It’s been a while since a big single player non-Souls game has drawn me in like this.

Almost all of the nip and tuck changes worked for me. Thought the addition of a more horror skewed atmosphere was really great. Ashley both as a character and as a gameplay system are both a wholesale improvement. Thought the pacing was right on the money, even when you get to the Island (which is always where I feel the OG loses some steam).

The gunplay is just great too and props to Capcom for the balance. I’ve already started a new run and am 26 hours deep at this point, and still can’t settle on which of these awesome handguns is the best.

Fantastic. Capcom are on a roll. I’ve previously doubted whether they’d bother with RE5 (or more to the point, doubted whether they SHOULD bother) but I don’t want them to stop. I also think Capcom are building a really nice, self contained revision of the series up to this point, and I think there’s a ton of scope to fill in the blanks with non-bollocks versions of 5 & 6 to tie 2-4 and 7-8 together. Heck, although I thought they nailed REmake the first time round, I’m even coming around to the idea of an RE Engine look at the first game again.

Not sure since I didn’t try it myself, but probably not? You need the lantern to get the keys but of course you lose that in the crypt so wouldn’t be able to get them afterwards. This seems a known/popular skip, don’t think people would use it if it broke the game state or didn’t really knock off much time.

So I love Resident Evil 4. I replayed it just last year, and it’s still my favorite in the series. Really didn’t think it needed an update. So I’m on the fence on getting this one: I have a real hard time understanding the point. If I have an “It ain’t broke” mindset about the original, will I still be happy with this remake?

I’ll have to give it a try then next time through.

I replay the OG (remaster) RE4 regularly, and this remake pushes me out of my comfort zone. They changed and mixed it up, so it is really a fresh experience again.

This is more of an alternative telling than an attempt to replace or erase the original game. They’re both completely valid ways to experience RE4, and of course the OG isn’t going anywhere.

The remake is a superb game in its own right, and although this isn’t a 1-1 step for step re-tread, having such a reverence for the original will stand you in good stead here. RE2 has always been my favourite RE and I have mixed feelings on RE2 Remake, but I think RE4 Remake is a better, more faithful and more rewarding take on its original than RE2 was.

This one is nice. I had a bit of trouble with this fight on my hardcore run.

Also, the “boss skip” is pretty good:

Hit Ramon with two golden eggs and fight over. Still curious to see if speed runners wind up incorporating this, as the 2nd egg requires a bit of a back track. It’s not too bad, but for speed run who knows.

I found Ashley, now the fun is over and the real work begins. Also the first giant was not too bad, I reloaded even though I killed him already and did it with less ammo the second time.

After the lake I wasted a lot of ammo getting the church key and exploring… with controller I only can get at 70% accuracy so far. I waste a lot fo bullets… so sometimes I reload a save and try again.

Also, I spend a lot of time with suitcase tetris.

There’s an autosort button fyi. I only realized this, like, 70% into my first run!

Idk if I am capable of doing a Professional S+. Did it on Hardcore to unlock the chicken hat, so that might help.

Last run was an attempt to get S+ on Standard (which means sub 4h). I was way too slow, aborted partway through the island section -.-
It’s either that the chicago sweeper is not actually the best for this, or I’m just not good at using it / managing time in terms of when to kill, when to run past. grumble grumble

I know, but I like to sort my stuff, old habits.

Professional S+ gives you 5 1/2 hrs to beat it so it’s actually a bit easier from that perspective. I managed it in around 4 hrs. The hardest part is getting thru act 1. There are certainly areas best just ran thru rather than fighting, but probably not that many - the trail on the way to the village right at the start, then from the farm all the way to the basement with Luis, then from the church back to the village once you have Ashley.

I didn’t skip any sidequests or treasures in act 1, though I didn’t dawdle or backtrack unnecessarily (i.e. to an area the story would backtrack me thru anyway). The point of all that was so I had 30 spinels for the upgrade ticket for the infinite ammo typewriter right at the start of act 2. In act 2 onwards I skipped all the optional content. I probably ended up with more spinels than I needed; could’ve maybe skipped the dog quest (very ammo spongey, hits hard too). Made a pretty bad mistake there as I didn’t clear the village prior to that fight and ended up having to deal with that bull guy and a buncha villagers on top. Fortunately I had about 7 grenades saved for the house siege, about the only thing that saved me!

I was also probably overly frugal with saves, I think I maybe only used 8 or 9 throughout the game and should’ve used more. First save I did was when you meet the merchant!

Oh, you probably know this already but just in case; don’t load/continue from the prompt if you die. Stupidly the game keeps your current time if you do that. Quit to the main menu then load.

Nicely done, congrats! And thanks for the pointers.

Yeah the first act is def the hardest, I am dreading the cabin fight so much (although I did see a speedrunner execute some SICK STRATS™ that make it look easy…) -.-

I may have to take a RE4 break, at least for a few days

I have been replaying OG RE4 with that massive HD mod. It was as I remembered: very uneven. The giant fish is a real PITA. The mine cart section is a PITA. The endless wave at the beginning of the Island with no save point is a PITA.

The HD textures are great, but the relatively poor lighting and low polygon models are still there. So there is value in full remake, but perhaps OG RE4 should be enjoyed as it is, warts and all, as a product of its time.

I’d say just get the new one once it’s on sale. It’s WELL worth full price, but if it really irks you to buy it again, again, again… And again I get it. I spent most of my Saturday just glued to the darn PS5 because this game is digital crack. I haven’t played RE4 in a long time so I don’t remember everything which is a good thing.

So good in so many ways. I just love everything about it. The GFX. The gameplay… The one liners. I don’t remember being so entertained by the dialog when I last played it. It’s just so perfectly cheesy.

Slowly making progress. I just finished the Ashley-Alone-At-Castle section… creepy as hell, because you did not know what to expect around the next corner.

Playing and aiming with a controller is really hard. I panic a lot and only manage 65% acc at average. And there was a section after the dog maze, where I ran out of ammo and the boxes only gave me money. I think it was intentional to drain your ammo. I had to fall back on the bolt thrower …

Really great so far. There is something missing in the castle, maybe it comes later. Ashley is gone now for a while…

They changed it a little bit too much…

The dog maze was pure horror in the original, and here it was almost nothing
A huge cave with flying insect monsters cut very short
I remember a sewer level with invisible enemies, also very short in the remake, just a short walk through the sewer
The alien thing in the first lab, which you can freeze and shoot: excellent sound work, but the original design of the fight was more intense…

The fight with the two giants was dumbed down…

I think the remake is a good game so far, but not as good as the original. It looks fantastic, but it feels like something else sometimes.