Why don't I like Resident Evil 4? UPDATE: Oooh, maybe I'll like this 2023 remastered version!

I can see this, tbh.

The only REmake that supplants its original version is, IMO, the first one. REmake is a game that takes absolutely nothing away - unless you count replacing some iconic level cheesy dialogue with, err, marginally less cheesy dialogue as a loss - while its additions are smart, worthwhile and add some wonderful additional context and moments. Oh, and has there ever been a bigger visual glow up in gaming history? Just 5 years separate RE1 and REmake. It’s insane.

RE2:R is a fantastic game in its own right and the decision to bring Mr X into a more prominent role was probably the right one, but the loss of the A/B scenario’s is just too big a thing to lose from the original RE2. Similarly, I enjoyed RE3:R a bunch, certainly more than many by the sounds of it, but there’s too much missing for it to ever truly replace the original.

I’m going into RE4 with an open mind. There are elements of the original that I’d gladly remove, but at the same time it’s a fine balance and you still ultimately want the game to be Resident Evil 4. It’s a beloved game and I’m always in favor of keeping original versions available (hint hint Capcom, I’d like to buy the original trilogy on Steam please) so I can totally see a world where people enjoy this game, but where it doesn’t replace the OG.