Why don't I like Resident Evil 4? UPDATE: Oooh, maybe I'll like this 2023 remastered version!

Because it’s Resident Evil. You’re either hot, or a total disaster. Or both.

12 minutes of gameplay from the Remake.

The only RE4 I played was the utterly shit-tastic PC port, published by Ubisoft I think. The one with all the lighting removed, and QTE prompts that didn’t have the correct keyboard labels (so like, ‘1’ would flash on the screen, but you had to press ‘Q’ or something. Fucking abysmal.). It was probably one of the all-time laziest, soulless, cash-grab ports of all time, a standout even in an era where shit ports were the rule rather than the exception.

I still loved that game. I am looking forward to the remake. I hope it does it justice; RE2 was great.

I sure hope this is a remake in the vein of the RE2 remake (one of the best remakes ever made), and not like RE3 remake which was very disappointing (too short, cut content, not very challenging, felt like they half-assed it).

I bounced hard off the PC version years ago, never pushed past the village, but I just now finished the Quest 2 port, which I thought was tons of fun. Mostly since it plays more like an FPS on the Quest than a weird stop and click thing I struggled with… it looks more fluid in that video remake than I remember it being.

The story was… ok, for the context of what you’re doing. Goofy characters popped in and out to relay terrible dialogue, and the boss baddies were pretty tedious in their run up to actually fighting them,I started to dread my walks talkie calls.

But hey, for a twenty year old game, it was a good time, level design was pretty decent. Maybe it’s also because most Quest single player games are pretty short, I was constantly amazed I got chapter after chapter, for about 15 hours worth, about three times more than I was expecting.

Not sure I’d pay full price for nicer graphics, though.

I have no idea if I like Resident Evil 4 or not, which is quite the statement about a game I’ve finished 6 or 7 times, across at least 4 different systems, over the course of the 18 years since it came out.

The roundhouse kicks and suplex shit are the ground zero for some of the stuff that ultimately drove me away from the series by the time we got to RE6. The dialogue varies from clunky and goofy to downright awful in parts. There are lengthy sections of the game that I find grating and outstay their welcome. I find the pacing and tone inconsistent and it’s a game that I think gets gradually worse as it goes on.

But every time I play it, I finish it, so there’s undeniably something to it. I’m curious to see what the remake changes up. I consider REmake to be the industry gold standard for remakes (although I haven’t played Dead Space yet), and I even enjoyed REmake 3 more than many seemed to, so this series has a high bar to aim for with this stuff.

That’s exactly what I’d rather play on my Quest 2. I hope there’s eventually VR support for this remake. This level of production is intensive, so I’m happy to support the creators. It’s the lazy ports that don’t deserve a hefty price tag.

“Honestly speaking, I didn’t want to do it.”

The solution to reworking these sequences arose from reexamining the knife fight with Jack Krauser. In the original game, the confrontation unfolds entirely through QTEs. The team asked themselves, “if we wanted to fight with a knife in the remake, how could we do it?” That question eventually spawned the remake’s new knife parry mechanic, which preserved the spirit of that battle in a more engaging form. This was a game-changer as the team soon realized this system could be applied beyond this boss fight to the rest of the game in standard encounters. This proved to be a fun addition, instilling plenty of confidence that the team was on the right track.

“Once the parry mechanic had been implemented, from that point when I played the original, I found myself wanting to parry in the original as well,” says Kadoi. “That was when I felt things became really interesting.”

I am so looking forward to meet the most important guy in the game The merchant
Already preordered for PS5. Can’t wait.

ikr but what if he has a crappy VA now :(

legit my biggest concern for this remake.

The Merchant was so immersion breaking… such a weird way to have an item store given the context of the game world. Really, it should have just been an interface on your wrist and voila, stuff purchased. Or else, a little kid who moves around the game world in little tunnels or something, so he could be scrounging the game on his terms and catching up to you. Not this odd Orko-looking merchant who teleports his gun shop to the lobby of the evil pyscho’s castle unmolested to sell you rocket launchers.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

You may just be the wrongest person on the internet and that’s saying something; I’ve visited 4chan. (not often tho…)

jk but the merchant is amazing and I will brook no argument to the contrary

now that you mention it, it is weird, isn’t it?

Like the effing rest of the game is totally weird

WHAT’RE YA BUYIN’?

A bunch of Capcom stuff incoming next week, including a new look at RE4.

Gah, 16 years ago.

eh, eh… I will not lose my calm

I tried the chainsaw demo earlier this week.

I really enjoyed it until I got the village, and then got overwhelmed. By that point I only have 10 bullets and if someone spots you, you get overwhelmed quickly. So I’m not sure what to think. Is that a forced stealth section, meaning don’t get spotted or else death is inevitable? Or am I supposed to use my 10 bullets and then kill everyone with the knife?

Anyway, very positive on the game overall. I knew that being able to move and shoot wouldn’t diminish the game in any way, it only adds to it. It’s still easy to get overwhelmed and the increased player control doesn’t take away the fear or the danger.

That was fucking funny. I’m so sorry i missed out on it 16 years ago.