Why have you betrayed me, Dark Cloud 2?

Okay, not really a betrayal, but I’ve come sooo far without having to look up any solutions up and now, finally, I’m kind of stuck.

Firstly, how on earth was I supposed to know that the Furbits wanted a fence built around their house and that this would restore Jurak’s branch? Did I miss a plot point somewhere? Those requirements where ??? out in my analysis all the way until the end.

Secondly, where do I find a Starlight Temple for Balance Valley? That’s my current bottleneck. I’ve still got a lot of those ??? entries in my analysis, so maybe I missed another plot point. Only minor spoilers, please.

-Tom

I have a question, and maybe I just didn’t look cloesly enough at the rulebook, but what are the coins for? Like the gold coin and the such.

Ack, okay, I sort of see what happened. After being conditioned by the “shielded” star path in Butterfly Woods, I assumed all forks required some sort of key. I didn’t even try to take the moon path in Starlight Canyon. Now that I’ve realized I can go that way, I presume I’ll get to more information about the Starlight Temple somewhere down this path.

Which makes me wonder if maybe I’m not supposed to know about the fence around the Furbit house yet. Perhaps that’s down the star path in Butterfly Woods, which I presume will unlock later.

At any rate, I take back the subject header, Dark Cloud 2. You haven’t betrayed me.

Oh, Jason, the coins? Someone mentioned in the other thread that they’re used later with your weapons. Selling them for 500 gildas is tempting, but I’d recommend hanging on to them for now.

-Tom

After being conditioned by the “shielded” star path in Butterfly Woods, I assumed all forks required some sort of key. I didn’t even try to take the moon path in Starlight Canyon.

I got stuck at the exact same point for exactly the same reason. I think that means it’s a design problem.

Who are you, and what have you done with the real Tom Chick?

The general enthusiasm for this game makes me wish I had a PS2, though many of the specifics of the game sound… odd.

My DC2 problem:

How do you get new monster badges? I know you have to buy an expensive gift box in the future, put items in it, and then throw the whole thing at a monster. But how are you supposed to know what kind of presents a particular monster is interested in? In fact, maybe pelting opponents with xmas gifts isn’t even the best way to steal their souls because
<SPOILER>
completely by accident, I got the Undead Badge by dousing a skeleton with holy water.

Tes bit with the forking paths screwed me up, too. As for badges, when you get the first one, try turning into a monster and talking to other monsters of that type (plants of any type won’t attack the first badge you get.). A nasty side effect of this that I’ve discovered is that you can’t ‘skip’ badges. You can get the ‘beast’ badge from a rat, and be able to turn into a rat, but if you get it from a Ram (another ‘beast’ enemy), you still only get to turn into a rat. And leveling the damn things up is a pain. My first plant badge is level seven or eight, and I still can’t change it into something more powerful, and it does jack shit for damage.
:(

The coins can give your weapon special attributes. The only one I’ve gotten in dungeons is the dark coin. If you synth it to a weapon, it will have the sacrifice ability. Increased damage at the expense of your own life.

As for the paths, supposeably you open them a while later. I cheated and fenced the furbishes house. Love the Jurak gun though. Synthed it with my old gun, and it’s almost powerful enough to take down mechs. Dunno how you open them really. I’ve probably spent 6 or so hours just synthing up my weapons.

Dark Cloud 2 betrayed me because it needs an item sort like Dark Cloud 1 (I bought Dark Cloud a couple days because Dark Cloud 2 is so good!)

Otherwise… its like TC says at GDR,

“Vice City, Metroid Prime, Breath of Fire V, Age of Mythology, Morrowind? You’re all excused now; we’re going to be busy here for a very long time.”

BTW, some of the voices sound like voices from BG2… like Lin, she sounds like the thief/mage from BG 1 and 2… anyway… some of the best voiced console rpgs I’ve seen (Oye vey, Grandia on the PSX!!!). And the game is humorous without being a parody. WOW! this game rocks!

etc

A couple of points here- first RE:Coins/Special Powers. It an Item has any, they stay when you change it into a new one (but I don’t know if they stay when you synthesize it). I have a Thorn Brassard with Steal, Poverty, Dark, +EXP, and Stop on it right now. A few of these have been on it through two or three incarnations.

Also, the inventory will auto-sort itself if you press select.

Hope this helps.