Why haven't you joined the Age of Rivals alliance?

Under the Empire button, you’ll find the option to join an alliance. Join “Qt3” and we’ll all win valuable prizes!

Oh, “what is Age of Rivals?”, you ask. It’s like that self-contained but collectible card game Z: Year One, except that it doesn’t have any zombies and it works.

-Tom

EDIT: Oh, wait, it looks like alliances are only useful if you’re going to be playing against randos online. Which I won’t be. But you should still join!

I’ll give it a shot.

This must mean Tom is so good he has already beaten Dead Rising 4.

One of the Steam reviews pointed to the free to play version, which works as a nice demo.

Normally I don’t do things like that, but in this case I will. I take it you’ll be streaming this some time soon.

[edit] It doesn’t show up on my list of available alliances.

I’m gonna quit the alliance and then see if it shows up for me again. Okay, it’s vanished for me too.

I guess Tom has to invite us in.

This game looks good, it reminds me a bit stylistically of another game… Omens of War? Something like that. I’m pretty sure it had Omen in the title.

Edit: I’ve played this a bit now, and while I quite like the gameplay, I am more than a little bit frustrated by the fact that I paid money for what I thought was a full game but what feels like a freemium card unlock system.

War of Omens! Sorry, that was driving me nuts.

Send an invite to JoshL!

Hmm, looks like invites have to be sent. I’ll keep an eye for folks on my friends list playing this. Otherwise, post your name and I’ll send you an invite. It apparently uses the name you use to login to its servers, and not your Steam name?

-Tom

This game looks interesting, can anyone with some time invested comment on whether they think it’s worthwhile?

After about a dozen games, I totally think it’s worthwhile!

-Tom

I liked the game well enough, but my patience instantly evaporated when I saw that the way to get all of the other playable characters advertised in the game description was through a freemium style play for gold unlocking scheme. A random unlocking scheme, at that. Indeed, the first characters you start with are not even fully unlocked, and barely have any unique cards to differentiate themselves. I asked for a refund, but if you have more patience than I do, have at it. There’s a good game under there.

Hi there. I’m one of the developers of this game, and I hope you don’t mind me responding to this feedback here. Age of Rivals was originally a free-to-play game on Kongregate (still is actually) and we did our best to take the core game and bring it to Steam in a way we hoped would work for that audience. But it sounds like we haven’t yet fully succeeded. The main reason we kept in the “unlock stuff over time” part was so that players wouldn’t be overwhelmed with all the cards and choices in the beginning (that was a big point of feedback in an earlier version of the game). And we thought it would be fun for the game (and your strategies) to evolve over time as you unlocked more cards/characters. But if the consensus is that stuff isn’t unlocking fast enough, then we can dramatically decrease how much you have to play to unlock it all (or unlock more upfront). I’ll talk it over with the team tomorrow and we’ll probably update the game the same day. Hopefully that addresses the concerns and allows more people to enjoy the core game. Thanks! Please feel free to contribute more feedback on the Steam forums; we are constantly monitoring it.

I’m enjoying this game, thanks @tomchick and @Mark_L for replying. Can someone invite me to the Qt3 alliance? My username in-game is tjrneal.

@vijay I personally don’t mind the unlocking mechanisms, but from my brief time it does seem a little slow especially since rival cards were 2/3rds of all of the card packs I had earnt. Maybe one good way to speed up progress for losers like me is to give some gold rewards when a player loses?

I’m enjoying it immensely and don’t mind the unlocking system at all. I’m starting to grok it a bit, and finally got to the point where I could beat the AI on Hard (yay). My only two complaints have to do with multiplayer

• Random games need better matchmakng. The two people I played were obviously way more experienced in the game than I was, and I got my butt kicked both times. I wouldn’t mind so much if the forfeit button wasn’t disabled.

• The time is very unforgiving to people just learning the game. It also appears to be invisible. I didn’t even realize there was a timer until I learned the hard way. I understand why it’s there, but it’s not fun.

I’d also like an invite to the alliance. tgb there, as everywhere.

Another request for an invite to the alliance!

Invites sent! I hope you guys can earn us some gold, because I sure can’t. The more I understand this game – and I’ve pretty well wrapped my head around it at this point – the more I realize how terrible I am at it.

Gladly, but under what name? Leftempty doesn’t work, and there’s no provision for spaces or underscores.

Oops, sorry, “Danjuro” will do it!

I have a terrible time being effective at picking what resource to invest into with your workers. I am pretty sure there must be quite a deep strategy there, but the blind art of forecasting possible draws seem to be beyond my grasp.

Well, I will keep watching this thread and maybe I’ll rebuy if you guys offer a different unlocking mechanism. Like I said, I think there’s an interesting game here. I wish you the best of luck.