Why is inequality bad?

I know it wasn’t. But Microsoft’s history is that of co-opting technology and negotiating great deals and then using its subsequent size to negotiate other better deals and co-opt more technology. This is all shrewed business, but not really a visionary ethos.

DOS wasn’t some kind of magical new thing. I think you get this on some level, in that Microsoft didn’t achieve what they achieved through creation of awesomely new technology. But they did in fact play a driving role in getting to where we are now… and really, how could anyone argue otherwise, when over 90% of all PC’s are running MS’s software.

Really? Microsoft was actually late to embrace the internet and the social aspects of being online. Microsoft was still in selling desktop software mode. The only thing that’s come out of Microsoft to me, that’s set a forward thinking example for its competition is Xbox live. Everything else, Microsoft in one form or another bought or adopted from someone else who innovated and then used its muscle to take over the market or outright failed.

It’s possible that someone else would have done what MS did. Without MS, things would almost certainly be different than they are today. Perhaps better, or perhaps worse. I guess it’s impossible to tell.

That wasn’t the argument you made though. You said Microsoft made the face of computing infinitely better than it was. You were making a justification for Gates’ billions that relied on some standard other than he’s a good businessman. I assumed that was a standard of actually create utility that otherwise wouldn’t have existed.

I’m not arguing that Microsoft doesn’t have and hasn’t had a significant role in the computing industry. That would be idiotic to argue. However, that by itself doesn’t tell you what the role was, what was significant about that role in relation to how you are deeming whatever good that’s come about in total from computing in general.

In other words, the fact that most computers run Microsoft software doesn’t tell you anything other than most computers run Microsoft software.

I hate this mischaracterization of history, so I’ll correct it so we can move on: Jobs did not steal anything from PARC; Apple paid PARC (something on the order of a million dollars’ worth of Apple stock) for the rights to tour the Xerox facility and use any ideas they saw. Conversely, Microsoft had early builds of the Mac OS code, and stole their interface ideas directly from Apple.

So you’re saying that Bill Gates really didn’t have that much of an influence on the market; it just appears that way, because Gates is a multi-billionaire and his company has been enormously successful?

You make it seem like his success was a foregone conclusion, when it clearly wasn’t. Furthermore, it’s not as simple as “telling him” that he’s going to make less money. You don’t just drop a company’s profits by 99.5% and expect that to not have an overall effect. It’s not a matter of “Gates makes less money”; drop Microsoft’s profits, and suddenly they can’t afford to hire the best engineers, they don’t release Windows 95 on time, and so on. It’s not as simple as “He should make less money.”

Exactly! There is a huge difference between developing something in isolation, and marketing it to the rest of the world. You are proving the point about benefitting society at large: Sure, you can spend a lot of time and effort creating something, but if you aren’t able to market it successfully, then it doesn’t benefit anyone, and is consequently worth less. The value is derived from “spreading the wealth” as it were.

Saying Bill Gates influenced the market says nothing about how that influence manifested itself. Just because I disagree with or find implausible assertions like Bill Gates changed the face of computing which made it infinitely better than before or that he’s responsible for the idea of affordable desktop computers, doesn’t mean I think Bill Gates through Microsoft didn’t have a large impact on the computing industry.

You might actually want to follow the conversation.

Edit: But you know, I’m not going to get into a quote fest with you over it. I gave Timex a chance to support his position and he basically retreated to Bill Gates had a large impact on the industry. No shit, but that’s not his initial claims, nor is it something I disagree with. A large impact, influence, etc is not synonymous with making it infinitely better.

This is a ridiculous side alley from the main topic by the way; but surely in the case of MS DOS Gates didn’t ‘market it to the world’. Instead he just sold it to IBM at just the right time when their home computer (which had previously been a niche market) took off for a whole variety of reasons, very few of which had anything personally to do with Gates, and went on to become the most popular personal computer in the market. Gates wasn’t out there selling his DOS to the masses, IBM was selling it for him.

What perhaps noone properly appreciated at the beginning was that when the IBM PC took off the competitors would find it easier to make cheaper clones of it’s hardware and buy MS DOS so that their computers could easily run the same software as the more expensive IBM. MS DOS became the platform rather than what had almost always previously been a software/hardware pairing. So IBM, already a massive company, did all the legwork for the tiny Microsoft but Microsoft came out on top in the long run. It seems doubtful that this was an outcome entirely envisaged by Gates from the start. I think Gates certainly rose to the leg-up his business got from MS-DOS and IBM with later products but that initial lock in seems to me mostly a matter of luck/being in the right place at the right time rather than any spectacular personal effort. He certainly didn’t work around 53,000 times harder than the average worker.

These impressions of the early history of Microsoft are based mainly on a history of computing book I read sometime ago so feel free to correct me if I’ve made any startling errors.

Hey, I seem to remember having argued with you about environmental questions before. :) Probably we don’t need to go over the whole ground again, so let me just put it in these terms:

Suppose a relative passes away and leaves me with a collection of jewellery, silver cutlery, some fine art and the like. If every so often, I take some of that stuff down to a pawn shop and sell it, that’s not inherently a bad decision. It may well be that what I get with that money is more valuable to me than a bunch of silver cake forks. And I might be setting myself up to do something else when the inheritance runs out. But you’d probably look at me funny if I told you that selling my pile of stuff was my “job”, and that the money I got from it was my “income”. Because what I’m doing isn’t generating an income, it’s running down a stock of capital.

I’m not saying that all the oil and coal should be locked in the ground forever. I’m just saying, there’s a difference between drawing an income from a sustainable activity and using up a finite resource. How large that difference is, or what the difference should mean in terms of how we should behave, or how it should be factored into the price of these things, are all in my opinion still open questions. I don’t have a simple, ready answer to what exactly we should be doing. But I have a big problem with a conceptual approach which just assumes away the very possibility of there being a meaningful difference. If you say that price is the only measure of value, then all of these questions simply cease to exist as questions because “oh, if there were any consequences they’d already be priced in - someone owns it, right?”.

It is a side alley but I think it’s a good illustration of a genuine point. Inequality, it is being argued, is bad because we can see that societies which manage themselves in ways that keep inequality relatively low do better on many important measures than societies which manage themselves in ways the result in inequality which is relatively high. The counter argument is that there’s only one important measure, which is total income, so we can ignore all those other factors if inequality correlates with greater GDP growth.

Which then leads to the question, how can we know that income is the only important measure? One way to answer this is to rely on the tautology that things are worth what we pay for them (price = value) and that therefore, whoever is able to pay more (by having a higher income) gets more of the things that are worth having, so measures other than money are irrelevant. If people really wanted more social cohesion or lower crime rates or lower infant mortality rates or better healthcare or whatever that stuff is that people in Sweden have and Americans don’t, we’d just buy it. Our “revealed preferences” are for iPhones and Hummers instead, so we’re better off with what we have than we would be with what they have.

The Bill Gates thing is a kind of “sniff test”, among a list of others, for this kind of logic. If you put things on a scale and it says that, say, a pea is heavier than a brick, a natural response is to pick ‘em up and “feel” how heavy they are in your hands, to “eyeball” the difference. Similarly… if you do a rough “eyeballing” of Tim Paterson’s remuneration against Bill Gates’, it gives you a way of verifying against your own rough, approximate sense of values, whether there might be something awry with the “scale” they’re being weighed on.

I think part of what makes the problem so difficult is that it’s a matter not of evaluating claims within a specific framework but rather of evaluating the legitimacy of competing frameworks. And of course, seen from within itself, any particular framework will appear to be legitimate. It’s a hard ask to step outside of your normal framework into either a “meta-framework”, or… an alternative framework, in this case the “common sense & ordinary experience” framework. But… well, this might be leading down another side track.

“Your” revealed preferences are going more in the direction of having been indoctinated to have fun being some sort of world police and “you” are paying accordingly. I mean the US could easily afford a lot of beneficial things for its society but instead it is wasting billions and trillions for a very minor but rich and mighty super-upper-class by setting the world in flames.

So in fact “you” can’t just buy it because “you” have no means of doing so and won’t until a greater percentage of your fellow countrymen arise of that hole of utter asininity. That won’t ever happen obviously.

The Rumaila oil field is a giant oil field located in southern Iraq, approximately 20 mi (32 km) from the Kuwaiti border.[2] The dispute between Iraq and Kuwait over allegedly slant-drilling in the field was one of reasons for Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait in 1990.[3] This field was discovered by British Petroleum (BP) in 1953.[4] Under Saddam Hussein, it was nationalized by Iraq. Since then, this massive oil field remains under Iraqi control. Rumaila is considered the fourth largest field in the world.[5]
The field is estimated to contain some 15% of Iraq’s oil reserves.[citation needed]

The field is owned by Iraq and subcontracted to BP and CNPC under Iraq Producing Field Technical Service Contract (PFTSC).[1][2] BP is an operator of the project with 38% while CNPC and SOMO hold 37% and 25%, respectively.[6] BP and CNPC will recover a renumerated fee of $2 per barrel in profits which will account to 15 to 20% rate of return on investment. Iraqi government and BP agreed to cut the initial bidding price per barrel from $3.99 to $2.00 in June 2009. ExxonMobil which also bid on servicing this field at a price $4.80 walked away due to price cutting terms by the Iraqi Government leaving BP and CNPC as winners of the contract.[7][8][9] BP expects the costs will begin to be recovered after the production will be raised by 10% from the current output. The rehabilitation and expansion project will be managed by Rumaila Field Operating Organization (ROO) which will be staffed mainly from South Oil Company and smaller number of experts from BP and CNPC.[6][10]

Offshore/onshore: onshore
Coordinates: 30°09′22″N 47°24′28″E
Operator: BP
Partners: BP (38%),
CNPC (37%),
State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) (25%)

Hmm…

In London, Maliki said his country needed investment from Britain and cooperation across many fronts, including science, the economy and business.

Maliki and the oil minister, Hussain al-Shahristani, will use the visit to try to cash in on the country’s improved security situation when they meet representatives of about 250 companies – including Shell and Rolls-Royce – to discuss opportunities for trade and investment.

Brown said: “We hope to sign an agreement with the Iraqi government about the future role that we can play in training and in protecting the oil supplies of Iraq.”

The bulk of the 4,000 or so UK troops will have returned home by 31 May, leaving a residual number to clear up and pack whatever equipment the army wants to bring home or send to Afghanistan.

Gosh, the thousands of dead Iraqis, hundreds of dead British soldiers, and billions spent in taxpayer money seems to have worked out well for BP and the gang. Tony Hayward even gets to play with his 53 foot yacht. It is good to be inequal.

Advice for the annoying rich guy. Tim, he stole your brief!

It’s too easy to pelt Mr. Henderson with rotten eggs, as so many have now done. (He yanked the post, but way too late–and on the Internet, one’s blunders never die.) But can we, instead, give him some useful advice? Sure.

More interesting.

A reader with experience in China says that most people there don’t seem to feel sorry for themselves:

It’s probably because nearly everyone you meet there has had it hard (or still have it hard). The old landlord/business-owning families were "douzheng"ed (“reeducated”, though the connotation is more akin to “tortured” in my mind; not surprisingly, since a bunch of folks were tortured to death or driven to suicide). The peasants always had it hard. Nobody had anything except the top cadres, and even life for them was uncertain (one day, the head of the family is a top Communist official, the next, Mao feels threatened, so he’s left to die starving to death in his own excrement in a cell while the rest of the family is sent to do hard labor in the countryside).

In such an environment, you need to keep on your toes and strive to survive, so you really don’t have time for self-pity/thoughts of entitlement (plus you’re well aware of how much worse and capricious life could be; there are folks in China today who witnessed people starving to death and engaged in cannibalism due to Mao’s disastrous policies during the Great Leap Forward). I imagine most of the “Greatest Generation” in the US was about the same way, if to a lesser extent.

So unsurpsrising that it’s almost a non-story, but a study done in 2005 (but only surfaced now, I guess?) finds that Americans think the nation is far more equal than it really is, and would prefer it to be even MORE equal. In fact, their professed ideal is close to Sweden’s distribution of wealth.

Wow, that’s totally unequal. The nearly nonexisting wealth of the bottom 40% is so tiny it doesn’t even show on the graph. Numbers of the citizens of each group would have been even more interesting in the discussed context.

Bring on the revolution.

But it’s more important that people have enough wealth to live comfortably. (which is a problem with the growing number of people below the poverty line)

If I’m comfortable, why should it bother me that someone else has more, unless they are driving up prices via inflation?

I slacked a bit on some of those back posts, so I’ll address a few points:

That wasn’t the argument you made though. You said Microsoft made the face of computing infinitely better than it was. You were making a justification for Gates’ billions that relied on some standard other than he’s a good businessman. I assumed that was a standard of actually create utility that otherwise wouldn’t have existed.

They did… or rather, in the aftermath of Microsoft, the face of computing was infinitely better than it had been.

It’s somewhat impossible to really see what the alternate reality would hold, where Bill Gates didn’t exist, but the fact that Microsoft essentially unified the entire PC market under a single OS definitely had some beneficial effects to go along with the negatives that come along with monopolistic control of any market. As a developer, you could write windows software and have access to a gigantic singular market.

Certainly, if Bill Gates wasn’t around, someone else likely would have done the same thing… but then they’d be the billionaire, and we’d be arguing about whether they “deserved” their money.

Even beyond the whole MS-DOS thing, Gates built MS into a freaking powerhouse. MS-DOS was just the beginning, it wasn’t the pinnacle of MS’s business. Gates built up what eventually became a household name in computing.

Certain things can be attributed to luck. Becoming the single richest human being on the face of the earth? That’s not luck. There’s no way you just fall into that.

I hate this mischaracterization of history, so I’ll correct it so we can move on: Jobs did not steal anything from PARC; Apple paid PARC (something on the order of a million dollars’ worth of Apple stock) for the rights to tour the Xerox facility and use any ideas they saw. Conversely, Microsoft had early builds of the Mac OS code, and stole their interface ideas directly from Apple.

That’s what Apple claimed in their lawsuit against Microsoft, but they lost that case.

Or rather, Apple wasn’t able to patent the idea of a GUI (since Xerox clearly had developed it first), and Apple wasn’t able to copyright the idea of a GUI. I think they were able to get Microsoft to get rid of certain GUI elements, such as the trashcan (which became the recycling bin).

While Xerox did allow Jobs to tour their facility, the PARC researchers had told their management not to allow it, because they knew what they had… but they let Jobs do it anyway. He then hired away a bunch of their engineers to go on and make the Lisa and the Mac.

Inequality, it is being argued, is bad because we can see that societies which manage themselves in ways that keep inequality relatively low do better on many important measures than societies which manage themselves in ways the result in inequality which is relatively high. The counter argument is that there’s only one important measure, which is total income, so we can ignore all those other factors if inequality correlates with greater GDP growth.

Well, I see a few problems here… first, there are examples like China and the USSR which were based on notions of equality (corrupted by the people in power, of course, since such a system requires immensely powerful government, which leads to an immensely corrupt government) and resulted in horrific conditions for the general population. Certainly these are extreme examples, but I don’t think it’s fair to just pretend like they didn’t happen.

The second issue I see here is that the counter argument isn’t simply that if the GDP goes up, then inequality doesn’t matter… I think the argument is that if everyone’s wealth goes up, then inequality doesn’t matter. If everyone improves their situation, it doesn’t really matter if one guy improves it MORE than another… because everyone is better off than they were.

Now, if it were simply a choice between GDP increasing X% and that increase being distributed or not, then it’s easier to make the call (although even then, it’s not a given, since there are likely issues with increasing the economic influence of the economy’s poorest performers… but we’ll ignore that). What if the choice is between increasing the GDP X% with a slanted distribution, or increasing it X-1% with a more equitable distribution?

If your attempts to promote equality disincentivize the economy’s top performers, such that it slows economic growth, is that a good price to pay for economic equality?

For instance, what if you just took some massive chunk of the top 1%'s wealth, and burned it… just, totally destroyed it. Didn’t give it to anyone… you just shot it into the sun or something. The wealth distribution would suddenly be way, way more equal. Would things be better?

If the form in which you took that “wealth” was just money rather than any of the material stuff it represents, then, yes, things would be better. If you were actually destroying capital equipment and houses and farmland and the like then no, things would not be better. But it’s not as if that’s what I’m arguing for.

And the Bill Gates thing is not about who ended up owning what was inevitably going to be a monopoly. He managed to capture the wealth that was inevitably going to come from a single OS emerging dominant. But there’s no reason why the emergence of a dominant standard has to make one person rich; Tim Berners-Lee also created a dominant standard and created a huge amount of increased efficiency in the process, but instead of capturing it himself, he gave it away. The doctrine that “only if there’s wealth in the billions on offer will these high-flyers bother to get out of bed” is flatly wrong. “Efforts to promote equality disincentivise the economy’s top performers” - but do they? And if they do, by how much? And how much does it matter? Does it matter more than the increased “efficiency of consumption” caused by the fact that the marginal utility of money is so much higher for the poor than for the rich? Well, these aren’t just theoretical questions. Look at the real world examples and… lo and behold, as I said, countries that manage their affairs in ways that make things more equal are better off on most important measures than countries that manage them in ways that make them less equal.

The second issue I see here is that the counter argument isn’t simply that if the GDP goes up, then inequality doesn’t matter… I think the argument is that if everyone’s wealth goes up, then inequality doesn’t matter. If everyone improves their situation, it doesn’t really matter if one guy improves it MORE than another… because everyone is better off than they were.

The counter argument here, if you scroll back a few pages of this thread is that GDP increasing, after a certain point that has already been reached in America, actually provides no benefits to the measures that people really value like how happy they are.

GDP per capita always growing is such a sacred cow of capitalism that I think this is often a harder pill to swallow that the idea of increasing equality. What if GDP per capita increasing actually didn’t really matter all that much to the things people care about? Never mind that the growth is being unequally distributed, the growth itself is just not making people happier any more.

Well, I see a few problems here… first, there are examples like China and the USSR which were based on notions of equality (corrupted by the people in power, of course, since such a system requires immensely powerful government, which leads to an immensely corrupt government) and resulted in horrific conditions for the general population. Certainly these are extreme examples, but I don’t think it’s fair to just pretend like they didn’t happen.

You seem to be assuming here that China and the former USSR are the only models for how we might press for greater equality and yet existing right now in the real world are democratic countries with various different political and cultural causes having greater equality than the US and performing better on most of the societal measures. Noone needs to pretend that the USSR and China didn’t happen, they just aren’t good examples partly because they didn’t actually achieve increased equality and the required base level of wealth simultaneously, and partly because they had a whole host of other problems.

Just as you wouldn’t condemn everything about Christianity for all time based on the crusades and the inquisition, you can’t condemn equality based on some oppressive regimes that professed to support it. There are many oppressive regimes that professed to support American capitalism while murdering their civilians. Should we also say that means capitalism and Christianity must lead to oppression, genocide and torture just because some regimes professed those ideals while performing those misdeeds?

Yeah, here’s the basic proposition as I understand it: on a scale of wealth concentration ranging from communism to feudalism, there’s an area of greatest societal benefit, and people consider the US to be closer to the feudalism side than it should be.

Huh. You think that it’d actually be better to just burn a bunch of wealth. That seems illogical to me.

I don’t think his work is really comparable to building up Microsoft. From a technological point of view, his accomplishments are immense. But he wasn’t a businessman. He left it to others to actually take his stuff to market and make it work for the consumer. Without folks doing that, his developments would have just been novelties that existed within academia and the research community.

I think we just have some kind of fundamental disagreement here, in that you are perceiving rich people as inherently bad. That, somehow, if someone has more than you do, regardless of how well off you are, then that is bad… and their wealth should be taken away from them (even if it doesn’t go to you, and is just destroyed).

Now, you’ve got Bill Gates and his giant mountain of money… and what’s he doing with it? He’s apparently giving it all away. He’s running what Bill Clinton described last week as the single best charitable organization in the world. So now he’s using his wealth to drive purely altruistic humanitarian programs.

Of course they do. As a progressive tax system moves along the curve, it becomes less and less useful to continue working to earn more money. Especially once you get to a high enough level where you’re already comfortable, since basically at that point you’re just working to give money to the government. Why bother? There will be some who aren’t affected by such a change, but SOME people certainly will be, so there will be some negative effect.

And I still haven’t seen anything that really demonstrates a benefit to it.

This is a really general statement. I think you’d need to provide some more concrete data regarding this kind of thing. I presented two examples of the extreme case where pursuit of equality drove entire societies’ populations to their knees. I believe the only place that Marxism ever worked was in some little commune in Spain.

And that’s part of the issue when you’re doing these comparisons, that I think you need to keep in mind. Small economies/governements don’t function identically to large ones. Something that might work in Sweden won’t necessarilly work when you scale it up to the largest economy in the world.

Well, money is just a way of signalling what proportion of a society’s real wealth you have a call on. It doesn’t have any inherent value beyond that. If we were to magically duplicate every dollar in the world somehow, so that every person with $100 now has $200 and so on, absolutely nothing changes. Each person would have twice as much money but each dollar would be worth half as much. Ditto ditto if we halved the total amount of money each person had. Now, if we just take some money from a particular group of people and set fire to it, this is equivalent to taking some smaller amount of money from that same group and then redistributing it to everyone else in proportion to how much they already have. It’s not a great form of redistribution since it ends up being regressive rather than progressive, but nonetheless, if the group we’re taking it from is the vastly overcompensated super-rich, it would increase equality, which I have said I’m in favour of already, so my answer shouldn’t surprise you so much.

I think we just have some kind of fundamental disagreement here, in that you are perceiving rich people as inherently bad. That, somehow, if someone has more than you do, regardless of how well off you are, then that is bad… and their wealth should be taken away from them (even if it doesn’t go to you, and is just destroyed).

No. This is not what I’m arguing at all, nor is it the reason that I’m arguing for it. I’m saying that extremely unequal societies are less successful on most important measures of human well-being that less unequal societies are. I don’t hate rich people. I’m not especially envious of other people’s material wealth. I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with enjoying material luxuries. But I do think there’s something wrong with a society which lets people die of preventable illness, or suffer from cold and hunger, or that leaves its children uneducated or in situations of abuse and violence, and at the same time devotes vast economic resources to, for example, positional goods that provide no net-positive outcome for the society whatever. I look at that and think, gee, it’s kind of obvious that this is screwed up. And therefore any ideology that tells me that actually it’s fantastic, that it’s the best of all possible worlds, that all we need is more and still more of the system that produces these results immediately seems rather suspect to me. That doesn’t mean I’m not willing to listen to arguments in favour of it. I want to give a fair hearing to all philosophies, whether they appeal to my first inclination or not. But so far I haven’t encountered any defence of these kinds of unjust outcomes of laissez-faire capitalism that does anything more convincing to answer my criticisms than to simply assume them away. For example, if we say that “price is value, all other values are meaningless” then pain and exhaustion and madness and death all the horrors that can be and are visited on human beings by this system are simply unimportant if the people they are visited on are poor because what matters are “revealed preferences”, eg, the stuff that people who already have money are willing to pay for. That’s it. Now, to me this isn’t just horrifically cold-blooded but it’s also philosophically incredibly weak. I ask the question, “by what method can you prove that price really is the ultimate value?” and the answer comes back, “oh, we just have to assume that it is in order to make the rest of the ideas work.” Well, as they put it in the Monty Python skit, that’s not an argument, that’s just contradiction. What non-question-begging defence can be made of this extraordinary assertion?

Now, you are right to point out that the attempts by communist regimes to solve all human problems at a stroke by running command economies have met with failure. But you’re wrong to conclude from this that therefore there’s no alternative but to wholeheartedly embrace free-market fundamentalism. You seem to want to turn every criticism of this extreme ideology into Marxism, presumably because this is a much easier target to go after than the various government AND market mixtures that are practiced, not just in Sweden or Liechtenstein or whatever, but all over the world.

Now, you’ve got Bill Gates and his giant mountain of money… and what’s he doing with it? He’s apparently giving it all away. He’s running what Bill Clinton described last week as the single best charitable organization in the world. So now he’s using his wealth to drive purely altruistic humanitarian programs.

And good for him. I don’t mean that sarcastically. I’m glad to see somebody using a position of privelege to give something back. But the way the free-market orthodoxy would describe this is that Gates has discovered that he gets more pleasure from giving medicine to African orphans than he would from snorting coke or parasailing with movie stars. What happens to the orphans is of consequence only to the extent that it’s of consequence to Gates, because his “preference curve” matters because he’s rich. In other words, the charity matters because it brings happiness to the people who are giving; the effect on the happiness of those who receive this charity is inconsequential. Again, to me, such an ideology is clearly and obviously wrongheaded. If you want to say that such a charity is important because of what it does to the recipients of the charity, then you have to step outside of the orthodox economic paradigm.

There will be some who aren’t affected by such a change, but SOME people certainly will be, so there will be some negative effect.

Yes, but there will also be the positive effect of putting the taxed monies to more efficient uses. Marginal utility of money falls as you have more of it. So, would the negative effect outweigh the positive effect? How large is that negative effect? Because it seems to me that there’s very little evidence that this negative effect is at all substantial. If we’re going to suffer all the bad consequences of an unequal society in order to counteract this slight reduction in productivity among the super-wealthy, there had better be some really solid evidence of enormous reductions in total economic productivity. Vague assertions based on ideological convictions certainly shouldn’t be enough.

This is a really general statement. I think you’d need to provide some more concrete data regarding this kind of thing. I presented two examples of the extreme case where pursuit of equality drove entire societies’ populations to their knees. I believe the only place that Marxism ever worked was in some little commune in Spain.

And that’s part of the issue when you’re doing these comparisons, that I think you need to keep in mind. Small economies/governements don’t function identically to large ones. Something that might work in Sweden won’t necessarilly work when you scale it up to the largest economy in the world.

Well, firstly, I’m not talking about Marxism. I’m talking about capitalism moderated and regulated by governments acting on principles of common sense and basic human decency. Is this some crazy, unrealistic notion of something that’s only possible in tiny European microstates? I really don’t see why. Here’s an interesting graph showing homocide rates in varies countries, graphed against income equality levels:

http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/why/evidence/violence

Among numerous others, Japan, Germany, Canada, France, Australia, Spain, and the UK have less inequality and less violence than the US. None of these are communist countries. All of them have managed to find a compromise between market and government control of economic life that delivers a better quality of life than the United States does. All of them, in other words, have done a better job of recognising the price is not the only arbiter of value than the United States does, and have thereby created societies that provide a better life for their citizens.

I ask the question, “by what method can you prove that price really is the ultimate value?” and the answer comes back, “oh, we just have to assume that it is in order to make the rest of the ideas work.” Well, as they put it in the Monty Python skit, that’s not an argument, that’s just contradiction. What non-question-begging defence can be made of this extraordinary assertion?

Well, it’s more that it’s the only option that works. There isn’t any other method of determining value other than just arbitrarily assigning it, which tends to create supply problems.

It’s easy to say that things have some “other” value, but it’s much harder to then actually figure out some mechanism by which you can determine what that value actually is. And if you can’t do that, then it’s ultimately futile, isn’t it?

You seem to want to turn every criticism of this extreme ideology into Marxism, presumably because this is a much easier target to go after than the various government AND market mixtures that are practiced, not just in Sweden or Liechtenstein or whatever, but all over the world.

Well, Marxism is just the extreme end of the spectrum, but I accept your point that failure at the extreme does not imply failure at any point along the spectrum, just like the failure of an anarchistic society does not imply failure of any free society.

Yes, but there will also be the positive effect of putting the taxed monies to more efficient uses. Marginal utility of money falls as you have more of it.

But utility of money also falls when you give it to people who waste it. One thing that you get from the really rich people, is that they fund investment in promising ideas… and one of the reasons that they’re rich, is that they’re good at figuring out which of those ideas are good.

http://www.equalitytrust.org.uk/why/evidence/violence

Among numerous others, Japan, Germany, Canada, France, Australia, Spain, and the UK have less inequality and less violence than the US. None of these are communist countries. All of them have managed to find a compromise between market and government control of economic life that delivers a better quality of life than the United States does. All of them, in other words, have done a better job of recognising the price is not the only arbiter of value than the United States does, and have thereby created societies that provide a better life for their citizens.

There are numerous criticisms of Wilkinson’s work. For instance, his choice of a data set for countries is somewhat arbitrary, leaving out pretty key nations even when they fit his stated criteria. For instance, South Korea and Hong Kong, which have extremely high levels of inequality, also have very low homicide rates.

Additionally, Wilkinson suggested that the decreasing homicide rate in the US was going to stop at 2005, and start going up again. But he was incorrect, and it’s continued to drop such that it’s now at its lowest point since 1965. During that same period of time, the inequality in the US has actually gone up, which runs counter to the assertions made by Wilkinson.

Most of the time they’re just good at being born with rich parents.