Why is iTunes so aggressively bad?

Bonus iTunes shittery: there’s a preference under the Store tab that is on by default, at least in recent versions, called “Sync podcast subscriptions and settings”. I’m not sure what it’s -meant- to do, but what it actually does is completely prevent your subscribed podcasts from being updated either automatically or manually. There’s no indication of what’s going on, either. You just don’t get updated podcasts, and trying to manually refresh them doesn’t produce any response at all. The only reason I found the culprit was googling the problem.

That’s amazing. It’s almost like Apple’s 1984 commercial swinging back around on itself in some sort of ouroborean excess.

Drag and drop, baby! :)

Funny really, I have an iPad 2, iPhone 4s, wife has a 5c and my son a iPod Touch, use Itunes with them all, all on 1 pc, have zero issues ever. Do everything manually, choose what to add and remove from apps to music and so on it’s always seemed a piece of piss to me, while I appreciate peoplelike having opinions until you have tried it and been screwed over by it shouldn’t you just reserve judgement. I am sure there are plenty of people out there in the same boat as me.

To add my Son also has an Android tablet and it seems fine to do stuff with it as well, personally Apple or Android won’t be a choice made based on itunes or not itunes for me.

Get Downcast, Overcast, Instacast or Pocket Casts.

Any suggestions on how my wife, who got an iPad as a gift and thereby infected our house with Apple products I had worked so diligently to avoid, can make use of the 100 GB of media I have on my network? Primarily the .mp4 and .avi files, which iTunes simply will not allow me to copy to the tablet.

It is things like this that make me shake my fist at the Microsoft marketing department. Their engineers have developed an ecosystem that works so well across multiple devices (I have a Win8 desktop, a Surface RT and a Windows Phone), and yet the world splooges all over every iteration of the iPhone.

I’d say grab VLC player. You can import the files onto the device via itunes and VLC player will play it fine. But I won’t, because fuck Apple forcing it to be removed from the App store, again.

There are apparently dozens of other video players built from the VLC code available. Don’t pay for one. Also wait for a recommendation here as plenty are probably chock full of adware crap or missing features to make you buy their paid version.

Someone here will know what a decent alternative is, but I am a bit removed from the current Apple ecosystem.

The Apple products work equally well—with each other. I’m not really sure why you’re surprised that the MS products work well with each other and not so well (out of the box) with an Apple product.

In your case, I’d get an app like FileBrowser or the like to access network content.

Any suggestions on how my wife, who got an iPad as a gift and thereby infected our house with Apple products I had worked so diligently to avoid, can make use of the 100 GB of media I have on my network? Primarily the .mp4 and .avi files, which iTunes simply will not allow me to copy to the tablet.

Air Video or Plex, if you’re fine with streaming. I think Plex requires the Premium Pass for the tablet apps though.

The app called It’s Playing. It will play anything network or copied over.

Don’t know if you actually want to store things locally onto the pad.

Plex works, and it can also allow you to playback non-native formats. There are also players that work over DLNA. Also network share (samba/cifs/etc) browsers that have built-in decoders for streaming.

Or just use the browser version of Plex instead if you only need local streaming.

I took home videos using iPhone 6 Plus. I copied to the PC and add them to iTunes. Then I sync to iPad 2. It says iPad 2 cannot run the movies. I thought iTunes would convert the high def to standard def or lower resolution? Crap! #failed

I have 7.1 Gigs of photos on my iPad. They’re listed under my Photo Library in Settings/Usage. I can’t delete them. In fact, I can’t even view them. Why in the world would I be able to put photos on my device that can’t even be viewed there?? Googling tells me that these are photos synced from a computer. If they are, I didn’t sync them; it’s possible my daughter hooked the iPad to her… well, she has a Chromebook, so is that even possible to sync from a Chromebook? The solution according to everything I read is to resync and specify no photos, or an empty photo folder. Did that, and the photos don’t go away. For my trouble I got a bunch of crap backed up to my PC that I don’t need.

Syncing is an atrocious, archaic artifact of the past, and Apple should feel really really bad for not having jettisoned it years ago.

If by any chance anyone has a clue how to solve my problem, I’d love to hear it.

What version of iOS? Do you have Photo Stream turned on per chance?

I’ve been on iOS8 and this morning I updated to the latest version to see if by any chance it fixes it. In my Photos settings I have everything turned off–iCloud, Photo Stream, Photo Sharing. Now, it STILL says I have 1.6MB of photos in My Photo Stream (which I can’t see on this device either), but I’m more concerned right now about the 7GB in Photo Library.

Okay, doing some more Google searches, I found a thread that where someone posted what the problem is and how to delete these. It’s really dumb, and kinda freaky.

The photos/videos that were taking up so much space were deleted, but not permanently deleted. If this was Windows, they’d be in my Recycle Bin. It seems that iOS recently added a feature where photos you delete go into a “Recently Deleted” folder for some number of days. Well, I had emptied that folder, but it was only one photo, so that hadn’t helped. However, if manually I roll back my iPad’s clock to last month… suddenly there are more items in the Recently Deleted folder! I had to go back three months to get to all the remaining photos.

So apparently the OS had held on to everything I deleted from the iPad for the last three months?

Maybe this will help someone else, too.

Yea, it’s proving quite helpful in talking a housemate into getting an android tablet instead.

(As he doesn’t have his own PC and will be borrowing my laptop for backups, etc.)

Ok, thanks for the recommendations on Plex!! Works fantastically!

Back when I first started playing high quality Avi’s of Futurama or Family guy just dragged and dropped onto my Galaxy S1, the iPhone seemed like a silly idea. Convert to what now? Why?

Is it just me, or does this sound like some Orwellian dystopia has invaded the Apple happy land? Roll back your clock to access otherwise invisible files so you can actually delete them? Sheesh.

Tell the truth, Nightgaunt: you really wanted to keep all those photos. Jobs knew it, even if you didn’t.