Why is iTunes so aggressively bad?

There isn’t a bundle anymore, if that matters to you. It just installs iTunes. I have it on my computer that I built this summer and the updater/iCloud thing is no longer there by default.

I just accepted Apple Music and don’t mess with it anymore, not that I ever really had problems. Also, the web app is fine so far. Not saying that’s a good idea for everyone. Apple has really been dropping the ball on software lately. Worst software releases in years.

It’s (probably) not a bug - it’s a change that was made in the latest update and applied without my permission and retroactively, neither of which should be happening. But hey, now it won’t, because I’m not using that pile of shit anymore!

I don’t think there’s anything that does exactly what iTunes does (in terms of features rather than Apple’s bizarre idiosyncrasies forced down one’s throat), but the player I’ve switched to that seems to most meet my needs is MusicBee. In a pinch, people also have recommended MediaMonkey (seems a bit more widely robust and officially supports iDevices, which MusicBee doesn’t, although my iPod Classic seems to work well enough and there’s an abandoned-but-still-maybe-working plugin for iOS stuff; also I really don’t like the UI for MediaMonkey), and foobar2000 (your mileage may vary depending on how much you like open source UI design).

I don’t know, I have the latest version on my PC and it’s set to unlimited. I didn’t change it.

It does default to 3 for new subscriptions, it always done that. You used to be able to set it per podcast, and it doesn’t look like you can now.

It’s never defaulted to that before. I’ve been using it for the better part of a decade and routinely add subscriptions. And you can still set it per podcast.

Honestly, iTunes’ terribleness on Windows was a major reason for me choosing to go Android rather than iPhone back in the 3s days. The others were the lack of a user accessible filesystem and lack of expandable storage…

Fair enough, I have barely used it on PC for the last few years so maybe I am getting my players confused. I defer to the guy with 500gb of podcasts. :-)

I’ll just say it’s a bug because on the Mac/iOS side everything is currently buggy as hell, and they actually care about the software on that side of the house.

I mean, I can’t rule it out. Arbitrarily changing default settings to something I don’t want, to extensively disastrous results, just feels extremely in keeping with how Apple has handled iTunes for ages now. At least it’s a setting I could change back (and did, before I decided to quit using it altogether), unlike a lot of the decisions they’ve made for me.

In my case iTunes worked fine for what I wanted to do, which was change my payment information. However, my old (iPad 3) iPad doesn’t care that I have done this; it still (after much more time wasted than I ought to have spent on this) tells me that my payment info needs to be verified, and then when I tap Continue just sits there with the spinning wheel and never loads anything. Guess I’ve spent my last dollar on iOS!