Why is my milk expiring?

Ok, this is going to sound odd, but my milk keeps expiring within a day of the expire date. I’m staying in an apartment during the week, and I’m getting milk from a differen store (different brand…they don’t have Purity here, which is my normal brand). Anyway, back at home, milk lasts about a week after the date…at least 3 or 4 days, anyway. But here I better check it ON the date. By the day after, it’s always bad. What I’m wondering is if there might be a problem with my fridge here. If there is, I’m worried about other foods.

So I wanted to check to see if it was your normal xp for milk to expire right at the date. Have I just been buying better milk before or is there something wrong with my fridge?

Turn down the fridge temperature. Experiment until you find the lowest temp setting possible without freezing your food.

I thought this was a breastfeeding thread.

Check fridge temps.

Fridge temperature could be the culprit here. It could also be that the levels of pasteurization varies by brand. Or that there is more bacteria floating around in your kitchen than in the kitchen back home.

Lots of possible reasons.

Go with the fridge temperature first.

I’m having this very same problem, except my milk always seems to start going bad a few days before the expiration date.

I’ll try lowering the temperature.

Definitely tweak your fridge settings. Milk should normally last at least a week after the date on it.

Little random fact about modern milk btw. Did you know that modern processed milk doesn’t actually sour like old milk does? It actually rots.

GOOD LORD! YOU PEOPLE ARE DRINKING YOUR MILK AFTER IT EXPIRES? THIS IS INSANE! WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR PARENTS OR PETS WHEN THEY EXPIRE? IS THIS SOME SORT OF SICK TWISTED HALLOWEEN JOKE?

I have the same problem: milk goes bad way too soon. Probably fridge temp. Also would explain why the vodka is too warm.

Okay, sorry.

I suggest you pull out every gallon of milk at the store where you purchase milk, until you come upon the fresh stuff.

AND REMEMBER: NEVER ASS TO MOUTH!

Vodka goes in the freezer!

It’s expiring because you have a Newcomer in your house who loves to get CRUNK! (/Alien Nation reference)

Yes, as I drink raw milk (mmmm…). The bacteria that are responsible for souring milk (and also for keeping other, shittier, bacteria at bay) are killed during pasteurization.

Do you have a male roommate?

To be completely pedantic, it actually goes rancid. ;-) Also, you guys should buy a little thermometer and shoot for between 33 and 39 degrees F.

BTG, as an aside, do you know where I can find cream that is either unpasteurized or has not been ultrapasteurized? A brother’s trying to make some clotted cream up in this piece.

In NC you’re probably going to need to find a place that either does “cow shares” or sells “pet milk”. Look around, it shouldn’t be too tough.

http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#nc

We were making our own cultured butter for a while, but to be honest it never appealed to me so we stopped.

Whole Foods sells raw cream, I think. I use it sometimes when I make mousse.

Let’s hope not. That usually ends in tears.

Huh? So you are saying it decomposes and leaves a smell…ummm, like something rotten? You really are being pedantic.

BTW, what are you complaining about now BTG? That pasteurization kills the bacteria that kills other bacteria? What’s the problem exactly? Doesn’t it ALSO kill those other bacteria? That’s like saying you shouldn’t use bug spray to get rid of flies because it might kill spiders too, which get rid of flies.