Why is my milk expiring?

Who’s complaining?

That pasteurization kills the bacteria that kills other bacteria? What’s the problem exactly?

The problem is that pasteurization actually doesn’t kill all the bad bacteria necessarily.

Doesn’t it ALSO kill those other bacteria?

Not always.

That’s like saying you shouldn’t use bug spray to get rid of flies because it might kill spiders too, which get rid of flies.

If the bug spray kills all the flies and the spiders, and now the spiders are gone forever and new flies can show up – then yes, that’s a problem.

Ah, gotcha. I suggest closing the milk bottle so more flies don’t get in.

Has history taught us nothing?!?

Most of the bacteria you want to suspend through refrigeration - and this goes for more than just milk - goes into hibernation at about 42 degrees. You should have a little fridge thermometer and make sure that it’s about 40 degrees or less in there. And account for the “warm spot” in your fridge (maybe it’s colder in the back, or warmer on the top rack, or whatever).

Quite a lot of people have their fridge running at 45-50 degrees, and dropping it below 42 will make a lot of your food last a lot longer.

Thanks Jason! Of course, it’s all toxic and manufactured anyway, but I would prefer that it last, obviously.

In Alton Brown’s book on baking, he has a long thing about processed milk, and how the differences are, and how that the way that most milk is pasteurized (using a faster, but higher temperature method) kills a lot of the flavor. But that’s a speed/economy thing.

I don’t really care if it kills the flavor because I like the taste of milk. I drink it pretty much every day that I have breakfast at home (probably 4 times a week).

Milk doesn’t expire, it just gets chewier.

I think drinking milk is about as appealing as drinking a nice cold glass of phlegm.

The difference is not subtle. What most people notice is actually the homogenization. Unhomogenized milk separates, and when you drink it’s smoother and far less snotty than regular whole milk.

The denotation of “rancid” is different from the connotations, it refers specifically to the decomposition of fats. Technically speaking, only fatty products can turn rancid. But yes, pedantry. :-P

That doesn’t make sense. How could it be smoother if it is separated. Consistency is the key to smoothness.

Ok, you’re making me pull out the book and quote it now. :p This is from “I’m Just Here for More Food”

There’s another section on the high heat pasteurization vs regular pasteurization, but I don’t feel like typing it out . :P

Yeah, but Marcus is just saying the technical term for rotting fats is rancid. The book is being a bit sloppy (but only a bit, IMO…I still think it’s rotting, just in a specific way).

It’s still rotting, as opposed to going sour, that was the point I was trying to make in the first place.

Rot: To undergo decomposition
Rancid: the decomposition of a fatty or oily substance.

So all things that have gone rancid are rotted, but not all rotted things are rancid.

Does that satisfy the peder^H^H^H^H pedantry in the thread?

There’s another difference between the two words:
Rot is a verb.
Rancid is an adjective.

While there are other forms (adverb: rancidly, noun: rancidness, rancidity), I don’t see any verb form (rancidify? rancidiate?).

Anything that smells bad can be called rancid. And, oh look:

[Origin: 1640–50; < L rancidus rank, stinking, equiv. to ranc(ēre) to be rotten + -idus -id4]

Rot wins, IMO.

Anyone have an OED or an etymologist handy?

I wish I could find milk that is pasteurized but not homogenized. The milk I was used to drinking in the UK isnt homogenized. Everything here seems to be homogenized (at least, I think that’s why it tastes different). Its about the only flavour difference I have never been able to get used to. Its fine on cereal or something where the flavours are mixed, but I can’t drink a straight glass of milk anymore :( Does anyone know whether homogenization is 100% standard for supermarket milk?

Hard to explain, come by some time and I’ll show you =) I shake up the milk first, but it’s definitely creamier. It’s very hard to explain.

You can. Naturally by Nature makes some that’s available through hippy grocers, but it comes in a clear glass bottle (which is quaint – but bad for milk) and when I bought some it was horrible. Half of the milk had spoiled and the other bottles had this very metallic taste to them. May have been a bad batch though.

Milk tastes different from country to country mainly because the cows have different diets.