Why isn't anybody talking about Rockstar: INXS?

With Tivo, it’s a really great show – fast forward past all the Brooke Burke annoying blather, past all the ‘drama’ and enjoy some really nice performances.

p.s. JD better win

Because it’s an emasculation of my youth for cheap thrills and easy money.

Here’s the problem with the show: If you’re a really great rock singer, then why would you want to spend the rest of your career singing shitty INXS songs?

Excellent example: the black dude with the faux-hawk whom I referred to as “Angelo” because I automatically assumed he was the illegitimate love child of the lead singer from Fishbone. That guy had more charisma than everybody else on the show put together, including Dave “Hey, Didn’t I Write ‘Jane Says’? Man, What Happened To Me?” Navarro. Instead of pimping himself out to the remnants of INXS who didn’t have the good grace to choke themselves to death while masturbating, he should be digging up the members of Bad Brains / Living Colour and taking over the world.

Yeah, what the hell happened to Dave Navarro? Remember when he was going to be the alt rock Jimmy Page? Now he’s hosting a reality show? Embarrassing. I hope he’s taking a lot of $$$ home.

Because it can be really hard to get a record deal? Because most bands have to have 2-3 successful albums before they make any money?

I love this show, because I do the tivo thing and skip all the drama. It’s like American idol with people who can actually sing and songs that are actually good.

From inxs stand point it was a great move to get them back in the public eye again.

Because it can be really hard to get a record deal? Because most bands have to have 2-3 successful albums before they make any money?[/quote]

Dude, please. We’re talking “Suicide Blonde” here. Personally, I’m holding out for Rock Star: Wang Chung.

Oh come on. Just because some of their songs had a bit too much hook and a bit too little substance doesn’t mean all their stuff was swill.

Besides – these performers have real talent and mostly do really great jobs on the covers… I bet Pink Floyd album sales will spike a bit from how well their songs have played on this show.

When I first saw there would be an INXS-based reality show, I rolled my eyes at the whole thing, but watching the musical parts of the show really drew me in – these are truly talented people.

But the black faux-hawk dude was just wrong – he belonged playing a singer in a soap opera more than he did in an actual band.

And Navarro? He was off the deep-end into loserville far before this show hit… . ever seen Celebrity Poker?

Because it can be really hard to get a record deal? Because most bands have to have 2-3 successful albums before they make any money?[/quote]

Dude, please. We’re talking “Suicide Blonde” here. Personally, I’m holding out for Rock Star: Wang Chung.[/quote]

How many wang chung songs can you name? I personally can name two. Watching the show made me realize I knew 10-12 Inxs songs. At one point in their career they were huge. Watched a concert on them from 92 where they filled up Wembley stadium. The point being when they decide to tour again I have no doubt they will have an audience and make money. If your a singer and you haven’t made it yet, they have an opportunity to step into a working band that they will get paid for. You have no idea how rare that is.

The house band rocks hard. The final 6-7 contestants were/are some of the best rockers I’ve seen in a long time. I watch the great performances and ignore the washups and stare at the pretty mindless thing when she wears skirts an inch long. Awesome music, kinda stupid show…everyone knew from the beginning that the winner was really the loser.

[quote=“gnmarsh”]

How many wang chung songs can you name? I personally can name two. Watching the show made me realize I knew 10-12 Inxs songs. At one point in their career they were huge. Watched a concert on them from 92 where they filled up Wembley stadium. The point being when they decide to tour again I have no doubt they will have an audience and make money. If your a singer and you haven’t made it yet, they have an opportunity to step into a working band that they will get paid for. You have no idea how rare that is.[/quote]

Yeah, hi - the Wang Chung thing? Sarcasm.

As for INXS, perhaps you’re not quite as sick of the whole “popularity does not begat goodness” argument as I am. I mean, I can still hum the Meow Mix commerical some twenty-five years after I saw it - does that make it the Best Commercial Evar? No, but perhaps Rock Star: Meow Mix isn’t too far behind.

The last bit there? Also sarcasm.

To be fair, I don’t begrudge these people with the good voices from going on the Rock Star show in the same way that I don’t begrudge Robert De Niro from cashing in those fat Hide & Seek paychecks. Surprisingly, I do in fact know how rare it is to be paid to step into a functioning working band (well, one that isn’t Judas Priest, I suppose). You gotta do what you gotta do. What I was commenting on is that there are quite a few people on that show who are much, much better than INXS deserves, which makes watching the show an exercise in cognitive dissonance. They should be so lucky as to have black-dude-with-mohawk sing for them.

How many wang chung songs can you name? I personally can name two. Watching the show made me realize I knew 10-12 Inxs songs. At one point in their career they were huge. Watched a concert on them from 92 where they filled up Wembley stadium. The point being when they decide to tour again I have no doubt they will have an audience and make money. If your a singer and you haven’t made it yet, they have an opportunity to step into a working band that they will get paid for. You have no idea how rare that is.[/quote]

Yeah, hi - the Wang Chung thing? Sarcasm.

As for INXS, perhaps you’re not quite as sick of the whole “popularity does not begat goodness” argument as I am. I mean, I can still hum the Meow Mix commerical some twenty-five years after I saw it - does that make it the Best Commercial Evar? No, but perhaps Rock Star: Meow Mix isn’t too far behind.

The last bit there? Also sarcasm.

To be fair, I don’t begrudge these people with the good voices from going on the Rock Star show in the same way that I don’t begrudge Robert De Niro from cashing in those fat Hide & Seek paychecks. Surprisingly, I do in fact know how rare it is to be paid to step into a functioning working band (well, one that isn’t Judas Priest, I suppose). You gotta do what you gotta do. What I was commenting on is that there are quite a few people on that show who are much, much better than INXS deserves, which makes watching the show an exercise in cognitive dissonance. They should be so lucky as to have black-dude-with-mohawk sing for them.[/quote]

I actually knew you were being sarcastic. My point was I thought the same about inxs, that they had one or two recognizable songs. It wasn’t till watching the show that I realized how many songs they had that were hits. For the record, I never said they were good either, just that I recognized them. The only one that has a voice that matches their music is J.D., who also is the most deserving of joining the band. The rest deserve their own carrers, and hopefully will have one after gaining some name rep from being on the show.

I was rooting for Marty. In the end he’s too good for the band.

I guess J.D and INXS are a good mix: a wannabee fronting a bunch of has-bens.

And there I was hoping this was some GTA type thing where you get to control Michael Hutchence running around a virtual city, injecting drugs, banging a virtual Kylie Minogue before shacking up with paula yates and hanging yourself.

I think they chose J.D because of how much he sounds like Michael Hutchence. I’m more interested to see how long they last.