Why the sequel to Hotline Miami should include a rape scene

Regarding your point on representation, while I can agree with the sentiment, I find it odd that in this list "It was a time before Ellie, Elizabeth, Sam Greenbriar, Triss Merigold, Tiny Tina, Jenny Romano in The Darkness III (fingers crossed!), Chell and GlaDOS, this latest Lara Croft, and even Kinzie", only three characters are playable, the rest are NPCs.

I'm pointing this out but I don't even know if this says something about women in video games or just video games in general having better NPCs than PCs, if only because half the time PCs are more or less blank slates to allow for player customization, to the detriment of any kind of narrative characterization.

Hi Tom,

I think you're padding things out a bit when you list the female characters that have changed the way women can play games. Out of the 10, half of them aren't playable (Ellie, Elizabeth, Triss, Tiny Tina and GlaDOS), and, while I haven't played the games they appear in, I understand that Ellie, Elizabeth and Triss all give pretty good perfomances as Damsels in Distress at times.

I'd also like to point out that in that interview I don't believe Dennaton said they were definitely removing it; they actually seemed fairly bullish about the scene. If they think that they can keep the narrative purpose while removing the exploitative angle, what's the harm?

I'd also like to suggest that their claim that it requires a full playthrough to appreciate, while possibly true, rings hollow in their use of it in a short demo section. By cutting out a scene like this and displaying it standalone, they must surely recognise that all they then have is a piece of sexual violence with no background. And the reaction that Miss Ellison has isn't surprising in that context.

You express surprise that Miss Ellison 'frets' about the game's manipulation of her feelings. Her exploration of that surprise is a large part of her article.

I'm also a little uncomfortable with the way you lay responsibility for this change on Miss Ellison. To me her article is an excellent example of providing an emotional response to a game, nowhere in it does she call on Dennaton to change it.

[Edit: The following is a sarcastic criticism of the illogical absurdity of this.]

Men been raped at prison, POW camps, army service and in prehistoric societies since the dawn of humankind.
But woe is us should we make a women experience another woman's rape in a video game, without any man getting raped as well. Obviously, we're all Caucasian pig-males who support rape culture, cheer for rapists and condone their legitimacy...right onto legislation that turns it legal.

What, no?

Tom, I know it doesn't carry a narrative, but you forgot Awesomenaut's Raelynn, the most badass woman in outer space since Sigourney Weaver.
"Who wants to cuddle!"

Censoring games? We might as well all move to Germany or Australia. Anyway censorship doesn't seem to be working for those two countries - they remain two of the most depraved, unlawful places on earth.

I hate it when people are willing to make a judgement without knowing anything first hand. You read an article about this scene in a game that isn't even out yet but already you are saying that it is likely "sudden, incongruous, and unwelcome"
Why don't you at least wait to get some context before passing judgement. Americans continue to be the most prudish western nation.

Nick, I didn't list "characters that have changed the way women can play games". I think you should take another look at what I wrote.

But otherwise, your points are well taken. I don't know what sort of other reactions to the press build were published in the few weeks between the PC Gamer preview and the RPS interview. Were there other similar reactions? I could be guilty of attributing too much responsibility to PC Gamer's writer.

Excellent point, DZ, but I'm not sure being playable is a necessary part of creating a compelling character. In fact, it can be quite the opposite. How many playable characters are mute cyphers?

Mainly because there's a long history of game makers getting cold feet for bad reasons. But my guess in this instance is that they're a small enough developer that they have the luxury of sticking relatively close to their original intention. We'll see.

Soren, I have to take issue with your basic premise that a story has to "side" with a particular party. Whether we're talking about Macbeth or Fritz Lang's M, there are plenty of stories that challenge the audience by presenting something morally repugnant as the protagonist. Do you know the Austrian movie Michael? It's an incredibly uncomfortable movie for how it refuses to take a stand on what you're watching. I wouldn't recommend it to many people, but I think it's a valuable piece of filmmaking, and arguably capital-I important for what it forces the viewer to consider.

OK, sorry about that, I see how those characters fit into the point you were making. While I agree with you that the representation of women is improving, I'm not certain some of those characters are the best examples you could use. Elizabeth and Triss in particular.

I haven't actually heard much regarding Hotline Miami 2 from any other sources, so I couldn't say. Between these two articles I haven't heard much, so I took it to be that this is a genuine reaction from the developers after reading her article.

Yes. The reason they made Elizabeth an NPC rather than the player character was so we could have _more_ of her personality and character development, not less.

On the contrary. As a small developer without large pockets to withstand the fallout of fiscal failure they must compromise in order to not push away potential customers or risk generating negativity around their brand-name that might push away potential customers since every dollar counts for their bottom line and very continued survival as a developer.

Tom, articles like these are why I come to this site everyday. Great work.

You know, much though I don't care for censorship (and agree with this article 100%), I really have to wonder how Germany and Australia are more depraved and unlawful than any number of non-1st-world countries. Or even than Britain.

And people wonder why I've always said Tom honestly hates women.
Oh, no, wait. Nobody wonders at all.

Was going to post something like this. It seems like they're taking it out of the demo. It doesn't seem like they're sure about taking it out of the game. I got the impression they were going to get some more opinions from longer playtests and see how other people reacted before deciding.

I think the hubbub over this article and the game at least demonstrates one thing: We aren't as desensitized to sexual violence as we are to physical violence. It seems to me, the original Hotline Miami was partly underwritten by that fact: we are by and large desensitized to extreme physical violence. Because we're not so desensitized to sexual violence, there's no way Dennaton could employ it the same way or to similar effect as they do physical violence. And from what it sounds like, they weren't planning to.

I take it as a good thing that Dennaton is revisiting the scene. It means they have a purpose in mind and they want to work at it until they fulfill that purpose, or remove it if it can't fulfill that purpose.

Sigh. How can I approach this?

First of all, Tom, I don't disagree with you at all. I think that this is a topic that we should be handling, but with respect and maturity in the same way that the film industry does. What doesn't help is that many gamers, including notable ones such as Mike and Jerry of Penny Arcade, have an openly 'lol rape' opinion on the matter.

Their opinion isn't as mature as yours, nor is that of many gamers. Ultimately, the result of this is what's become known popular as "rape culture," in which rape is aggrandised as a wholesome, worthwhile activity that provides entertainment for all. The difference with films is that they don't do that, they approach rape with the rightful gravitas it's earned by being what it is.

You have to wonder how the situation would be if the game had instead depicted an average Jewish man stuffed into a gas chamber with the tagline 'lol genocide.'

Aside from the matter being handled with joviality rather than gravitas, I also feel that it's a problem that we never see a man being raped. I'm not just blaming games for this, as I'm more than well aware that other mediums are just as responsible. The problem is is that the man is represented as the invulnerable, perfect, masculine standard which nothing can shake. The issue, then, is that the woman is shown to be forever the victim, the frail, she who is to be taken advantage of. Where's the role reversal? Role reversal is fun, and educational!

These might actually be big thoughts for some people, which is depressing, but I think this should be a standard that if we're going to deal with rape scenes, that they be handled with greater equality. How could Dennaton have "fixed" this whilst leaving it in? Simple! Have the person being raped of the opposite gender to the character who's being played. So if you choose to be a woman, then there's a bloke waiting to be raped.

"You did great, Pig Girl! But don't be afraid to be more vindictive. And you there, geekface, you need to work on your frailty! Act more helpless and scared! You know, like a nerd would!"

That would provide an equality to lessen the enmity felt towards it by reviewers like Cara. I'm definitely of the opinion that the rape scene shouldn't be left out, but that this is one way that it could be handled in a way that would work for her. If you take the time to read what she's had to say about the rape scene -- her core issue isn't that the rape scene exists, but it's that she identifies with the rape victim as a woman. So we fix that. It'd be interesting to see just how much Cara's opinion would change if this were the case.

So, I've spoken about equality, but I would like to come back to the ethics of the situation. And no, I'm not going to let you down. I don't think I've ever let someone properly intellectual down, anyway. Well, not that I can recall.

There's a reason why films can handle rapes in a way that games can't -- detachment. You're not the person being raped, and you're not the person committing the rape. You're one of a detached audience, it's voyeuristic, but you're in no way in control of the situation, nor are you immersed as the victim. Thus, it's the inherent nature of a film that it can never be either Tomb Raider or Hotline Miami 2. As we are not the heroes of the film; we're more akin to, say, Uatu the Watcher. We stare on in horror and we understand the travesty and the tragedy, but we can't do anything. Being helpless is part of the audience, and empowers the hero of the piece.

So perhaps one way to deal with rape is to have it not involve and immerse the player, thus we can approach it from a different angle. If, for example, in Tomb Raider the rape scene was happening between another survivor and her attacker, then you could step into the middle of this happening and stab the attacker in the head. This would create a more film-like situation of detachment, and it would put the player in the position of having to end it. Or not. And I personally think that would be more powerful than having Lara herself almost raped by an attacker.

I'm not condemning Tomb Raider, you'll note. I'm just saying that it could have been done better and more interestingly. It could have been a more powerful scene if it was up to Lara to risk her life to save another from rape, or to walk on, keeping her bullets, medical resources, and self in tact, but knowing what she's abandoned an innocent woman to. The pause that this might give a player would be more illuminating than the tame almost rape that happened in Tomb Raider.

I don't know, there's a lot to this. Still, to come back to where I began, I think the bottom line is that we need to move away from rape culture, and the 'rape lol' response. We have to draw a line in the sand separating us from that before we can move on. On one hand, I'm hoping that Dennaton keeps the rape scene; on the other hand I'm hoping that they've maybe read what I've had to say and taken it into account.

There are many ways which you could "fix" the rape scene and even make it more powerful without taking it out.

Yeah, it's hard to take seriously the opinion of anyone who uses the term "whiteknighting." That word is the rhetorical equivalent of Z-Bone trying to shout down a review with, "You're just saying that to get hits!"