Why we won't live happily ever after with Planetary Annihilation

Shouldn't have to do that to play an rts.

Y...yes?

But why can't you see that taking up MORE SCREEN REAL ESTATE with this pip thing is SILLY. There is already so much going on in an rts and now THIS? You are in denial, buddy.

And all reviews are ultimately opinions.

But, TA WAS NOT on a 3-d globe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is officially released, right? Meaning that it is in release state. Which means that anything not in the game currently isn't in the release version, which is always the version that reviewers review. Also meaning that anything wrong with the game right now was wrong with the game when it released, right?

I don't buy or play released games for their promised future features. I buy them and play them for what's in them. I didn't get in on early access for precisely this reason. This release really just looks like the newest beta version with the funny little b removed from the version number.

You really should have an auto-bot that scans for certain words and responds with the bit about the rating system. Seems like no one ever bothers to read it.

i normally hate quarter to three, i find their reviews petty, childish and sometimes even misinformative, i mean the Company of Heroes 2 review was beyond ridiculous:

"The previous game had numbers to represent how effective units were, and to help you compare them to each other" - Tom Chick

you do know those numbers were all wrong right Tom?

however i must say Tom did bring a good point here, you can have a game without map borders that doesnt take place in a sphere

I own the game just as you do. I don't like it as much as you do.

And so, you're picking at straws with the fanboy argument since we're one of the same. I'll just call you a clown instead. Happy?

Hey, at least that's an honestly held view :)

(I know a fair number of games who despise that sort of MMO...of course, most of them are willing to play i.e. Warframe where the complexity is more back-weighted)

But why is he replying to me to make that point? Instead of responding to my point (why didn't you talk about how map edges changes gameplay, or indeed anything I said) is responding to something no one has said (it has to be a globe!)

He's deflecting. I don't know why he replied to me at all since he had nothing to say.

I think they call it "being able to adapt to future developments of the Computer hardware". Just because you can make a 16 player times 1k units game did not mean you should have made one back when it was released.
On the current high end tower/box one of my friends has SupCom can actually do a 4x1k game pretty decently.

And with this game the programiticall unit cap is propably as 2^64.
And afaik currently each server runs on 1 Server CPU core only. So there seems to be quite an efficiency improovement if it still runs that fast.

I wish they were.

The ratio of user reviews on Metacritic is a good portion rated it in the red "poor" zone. Given a generally quality game does not get this ratio of poor ratings I'd say the review here can be regarded as solid.

People can rant about Tom not knowing stuff, but you can't whinge when others feel the same way.

Its good to have critics like Tom otherwise all information on big expectation titles goes through the score bland-an-ator for 70-85% scores. Rome 2: Total Fuck You I'm looking at you!

Well, I found this review to be refreshingly accurate! I've been playing PA since the day it hit steam, and that meant picking it up at the same price the backers paid, 80$. The other thing that amuses the crap out of me is how you women prattle on about Uber's budget. They got 2.2m from Kickstarter alone, not to mention the amount they got from Early Access on steam. You girls don't take that into consideration at all. I won't guess at the number because that would be foolish, but I know that I paid the same 80$ the rest of you fan-tywaste little girls did. I'm terribly disappointed in the game.

The galaxy map is crude and unintuitive with major zoom issues.
The procedurally generated planets are lacking in different traits; they all look very similar.
The 15$ commanders they sell don't do diddly squat. And the fabled Theta commander looks like a giant beetle. Woooooo.
The games 'Art Direction' is pretty lame, unrefined and crude.
Overlooking the game's lack of documentation, it's completely nonintuitive. First planet you hit has enemies and you have no upgrades? Tough luck, kid.
F-keys?

Great review Tom. Developers really need to learn how to finish a game before they release it. Releasing a game, taking my money and then telling me you'll finish it later is garbage.

As a fan of the RTS genre since the original C&C, Planetary Annihilation is my most regrettable purchase on Steam, and probably the worst RTS game I have played in many years. It gets nearly nothing right. If it were free I would not recommend it.

I love TA, I love SC, hell I even really found a way into loving SC2 as a wonderful sort of super smash bros multiplayer RTS brawler; fast paced, arcadey, simple to learn with just enough depth to keep you hooked

i got this game on "early access" sale, and it is the first early access game i regret getting. more than that i just feel foolish for not having done enough research on it. i guess i let the hype of its fans overwhelm my better judgment

nonetheless this single game has turned me against ever supporting an early access endeavor like this again

i'll just stick with my gnomorias. at least i know what i'm getting into there.

Yeah, why is he replying to you? I think that's a mystery to everyone. Try calling him a troll again. Or try that thing about confusing art direction and graphics. It might work if you try it again! I mean, goodness!

Did I call him a troll prior to his response? If not then that doesn't really answer the question, nor does it play into the "mystery" since his response occurred prior to any of that (and in fact led directly to it). But good try.

Are you that much of a misogynist that you feel calling someone a woman is an effective insult?
Jesus, some gamers are assholes.