Why would hospital firewall filter out half of all YouTube vids?

My uncle uploaded a video to his account of kingdom come deliverance. Can’t watch it. Nearly every video posted to QT3 I can’t watch. On my Uncles account he has like 30 videos of games and none of them are viewable but one of a bird in his backyard is.

Why is that?

It’s probably locked down to allow restricted mode only

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084

That’s the first thing I tried to change. Says I have to talk to my administrator to change it and is greyed out. Oh well, I just thought it odd that system would filter out so much innocent stuff.

I have my personal youtube red account set up on restricted mode because it’s shared with my almost 9 year old son. So I feel your pain.

This is more on YouTube than anyone else. It’s the equivalent of turning on google SafeSearch and you can see why a hospital offering “free” WiFi would do that. The problem is YouTube has done a terrible job with video categorization and it cuts out something like 80% of the videos.

Hospitals, like any local business, have to protect themselves so while they offer free guest wi-fi, they may well have some restrictions in place on the content you can watch, and as others have mentioned said content could be erroneously marked by YouTube. Hard to say. Does the hospital not have a local IT staff you can ping a nurse to ask?

Can you not VPN through it?

This is the solution. They can’t filter content they can’t see.

The gotcha is, sometimes they block VPN. I’ve had some weird issues trying to get my VPN out of some places. Especially on iOS where I can’t quite modify the port settings the way I’d like.