Why You Should Never Trust HR

But this is the guy who made Uber what it is today. I think it’s fair to say there would be no Uber without him, or at least not as we know it. And this is how we end up with Trump in office - people see assholes who get results and they think to get results you need to be an asshole.

Ah crap, I P&R’d the thread.

Indeed.

Though, if he really starts costing the company money, no amount of “spin” he can put on will keep him in a job. Unlike our current political situation.

That’s true, if he starts affecting the owners’ wallets, he’ll be out on the street. Actually, I expect the same would hold true for the president too. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Lol. More like beta-cuck dominated, amirite?

I do think the culture in an IT department is going to be significantly different from the alpha male culture of, say, a sales organization. Apparently our (email marketing industry) sales team has a long-running game of ice-ing (I.e. Smirnoff ice) each other that’s still ongoing. Who does that? Then there’s stuff like medical sales where apparently your numbers are pretty directly proportional to “do the (male) doctors want me?”

I’m in NY as well, and while I’ve seen some stuff on the streets, the scale of what my wife has described was otherwise totally invisible to me. Now, I may just be particularly lacking in situational awareness, but generally, I think that most women would have an easier time believing that story than many men who aren’t within that demographic.

The Fowler story seems to be giving Uber a whack upside the head.

Coincidence? I think not.

I haven’t read the article, but just the quote. What is this black he keeps referring to?

Uber Black, the luxury (and original) version of Uber.

https://www.uber.com/ride/uberblack/

ah, thank you ddtibbs! I had never heard of it.

Yeah, the update has a letter he sent to employees apologizing about his behavior.

By now I’m sure you’ve seen the video where I treated an
Uber driver disrespectfully. To say that I am ashamed is an extreme
understatement. My job as your leader is to lead…and that starts with
behaving in a way that makes us all proud. That is not what I did, and
it cannot be explained away.It’s clear this video is a reflection
of me—and the criticism we’ve received is a stark reminder that I must
fundamentally change as a leader and grow up. This is the first time
I’ve been willing to admit that I need leadership help and I intend to
get it. I want to profoundly apologize to Fawzi, as well as the driver and rider
community, and to the Uber team.—Travis

Someone is going to CEO summer camp.

What can change the nature of a man?

Regret!

I haven’t clicked that psychopathy/leadership link from above, but everything I’ve ever read about business psychopaths says they can write an email like that very easily, as it’s nothing but a massive lie they feel no duty to uphold.

“The first time I’ve been willing to accept I need help.”

Yeah, fuck that. Nothing’s changing.

Yeah I like the phrasing of that. “And maybe next time, I’ll actually heed that help! If not, pretty sure I will the time after that.”

Its his first time guys, go easy!

LOL, yes. I worked for a mid-size jewelry retail chain for four-ish years in the late 90s/early outghts. Cocaine sex parties were not at all unheard of. Trading free jewelry for blowjobs was one of the milder commonplaces. Just one of the perks…I’m surprised it wasn’t listed on the compensation schedule.

I mean, I was in the military, so I saw some sleazy shit, but nothing compared to what salesmen get up to.

I remember years ago my sister and her boyfriend both entered the professional workplace sooner than I did and each had the same message… HR is on management’s side. Don’t trust them. Don’t expect much from them, and you’re just better off if they don’t know who you are.

I know this isn’t directly workplace related, but this story bears repeating. My girlfriend works in the service industry, she’s a bar manager to be exact. Everything you just typed there … that happens NIGHTLY. I am not joking. Alcohol and a bar setting seem to mean to most men, “do whatever you fucking want to any woman that works here.” We aren’t talking about a seedy dive either, in particular, the location in question for my girlfriend is a wine bar frequented by seemingly normal people.

I’ve sat at the bar while she is working and watched any number of things happen to her or said about her. I have yet to see someone grab or touch her though and I’m pretty sure I would do so in that situation, regardless of how it affected things at her workplace. It is very, very hard to sit and watch assholes be assholes.

The kicker is that the women all seem somewhat resigned to the fact that NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT IT means they will often get a better tip from a sloppy drunk horndog sitting at the bar.

Sorry for venting, Your comment just reminded me of how fucking insane people can be when they think/know that they can get away with it.

Oh I believe that too-- they are customers, they don’t work there. That’s what I find so crazy.