Why you want to play Knights of the Old Republic on your PC

From the official FAQ, just updated:

"‘What will be the main differences between the Xbox and PC version of the game?’

“The biggest difference will be in the interface design. We are fully reworking the interface for the PC version of the game to take complete advantage of the keyboard and mouse. Also, we will of course take advantage of the different video cards on the PC, as well as supporting different resolutions.”

There you have it. The PC version will have a better interface and better graphics.

And yet the Xbox version will most likely outsell the PC version.

I think the xbox version is supposed to be out a lot sooner too.

Am I missing something?

All I see is a statement saying that a control mechanism specific to the format will be optimised. Nothing at all about it being “better”.

I woudl assume that the interface will also take full advantage of the Xbox’s controller.

The fact that it’s coming to Xbox long before it comes to the PC is reason enough for the PC version to be a slow seller. Doesn’t matter if you get an interface that’s suited to your platform if the underlying game is the same. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that there will be any extra content in the PC version and that’s really the only way it would truly be different.

Resolution just isn’t the draw a lot of hardcore gamers want it to be. That’s especially true of many of these folks that have money to burn (hence they have lots of consoles and a PC fast enough to run Star Wars:KoTOR) because they probably have progressive scan TVs to see the game in high res in the living room.

If it weren’t so easy to get from Xbox -> PC with a game, you wouldn’t see stuff like this get ported. If it hadn’t been announced for the PC first, they probably could’ve gotten away without doing a PC version at all. As it stands, they pulled a Halo. Let’s just see if the PC version doesn’t get delayed further once the Xbox version hits.

–Dave

Yeah, that certainly seems to be the case. I can’t believe how every console site raved about the graphics in the Xbox version of Morrowind, while I found them blurry and ugly. That experience probably did more to discourage me from buying a console than anything, even though there’s a few games like Halo and GTA-Vice City that I’d like to play. But most people don’t seem to care about resolution, or don’t realize the difference it makes.

Ultimately, though, the resolution is dependent upon the graphics card in the PC. I know my Xbox will run everything “right” as long as the devco’s have done their job properly. On my PC, with its older GF2, I can pretty much assume that anything I run this year will have low resolutions, low detail settings and probably still judder.

I’m not arguing that devteams should cater for my old card (far from it), but that extra security the console offers is nice.

Not better, just different.

It wasn’t announced for the PC first.

The PC versions release date was recently changed to the fall on the official website.

It wasn’t announced for the PC first.

You’re kidding, right? I swear this game was in CGW and CGM before it was announced it would be Xbox exclusive for awhile before it came to PC. Desslock? Chick? Bub? Asher? Green?

–Dave

If I remember correctly, it was announced for PC and a next-gen console at the exact same time. And when the first release date was announced, it was Xbox first, then PC.

Yup, that’s what I recall as well.

Not better, just different.[/quote]

What resolutions will the PC version support? Will it go higher rez than the Xbox version?

I’ll also be surprised if I don’t prefer the mouse and keyboard for controlling the game. As good as Halo’s control scheme was, it was still inferior to using a mouse for aiming. The only thing the gamepad was better for was tossing grenades.

Let me take that back. if the game features a lot of melee combat, I might prefer the gamepad.

Jesus christ guys not another PC is better then console rant!

:x

It was always announced as being a console game, in addition to for the PC – the console wasn’t initially identified, but since its public unveiling (at least) it was always intended to be released on the console.

Not better, just different.[/quote]

What resolutions will the PC version support? Will it go higher rez than the Xbox version?

I’ll also be surprised if I don’t prefer the mouse and keyboard for controlling the game. As good as Halo’s control scheme was, it was still inferior to using a mouse for aiming. The only thing the gamepad was better for was tossing grenades.

Let me take that back. if the game features a lot of melee combat, I might prefer the gamepad.[/quote]

The PC will support standard resolutions, it’s a normal 3D game. It’s not an FPS so, the control system actually works quite well on a gamepad. The view is 3rd person, so a keyboard and mouse wont’ be a huge advantage. Lastly, it’s an RPG not a twitch game so the gamepad/mouse comparison doesn’t apply all that much.

That’s interesting. Is the combat phased-based, like NWN? Do you go into combat and then your swings are automated, like in NWN?

Standard PC resolution means it will support higher rez on the PC, right? That’s what I was getting at when I said it will look nicer on the PC.

I’m not sure what I can say about the combat, so I’ll leave that to Tom. As for looking nicer, that entirely depends. Right now there are effects that depend on pixel shaders and the like and if your PC doesn’t have them then it won’t look the same.

It’s a somewhat turn-based, somewhat real-time combat system. You issue your commands, and your characters carry them out.