Why you want to play Knights of the Old Republic on your PC

“Also, we will of course take advantage of the different video cards on the PC, as well as supporting different resolutions.” "

That might imply some effects that the xbox’s chip can’t do, so it could look much nicer. I dont know what else they’d mean by taking advantage of different video cards, AS WELL as blahblah resolutions. That means something more than just the resolution being bumped up. Might just be a few special fx here and there but prettier is prettier.

Xbox version = play in the living room, sitting on the couch, with the family.

That alone makes up for a lot of differences in features… :-)

Playing on the couch puts me to sleep.

We’ll… Unless were talking about couch sex, then I’m all game!

:shock:

Yeah, that’d happen in my house. Over my wife’s dead body.

You know, couches are great, sure. However, this comes up so much from so many people that I have to wonder what kind of hellish pc setup you have.

Couches/consoles are a boon to multiplayer obviously, but for a singleplayer game or RPGs where you are playing in long sessions, a great office chair and cheap big monitor are amazingly comfortable. I don’t hate movie theatres due to the lack of couches either.

I didn’t want this game when I first found out it was going to be a console style RPG, a la Final Fantasy. It wasn’t a problem of not liking such games, because I love console RPGs. However, I was hoping Bioware would make a quality Star Wars game with the Infinity Engine or something like it (the announcement was a long time ago). I was REALLY looking forward to that, or even the SPECIAL system (or something like it). So I was disappointed.

However, as the release draws near I am changing my mind. I dont have an XBox, so unless it gets ported to one of the other two consoles, I will likely get it on the PC. I may have an XBox by then…who knows. At any rate, I would rather play it on the console. From previews and screens it just looks like it will be better suited for console play. A keyboard mouse interface is actually inferior, IMO, to console controls for SOME games (like sports games and platformers). The graphics don’t matter overly to me, since they will look nice on the XBox, most likely. It looks like a console game first and a ported console game on the PC. Think of the number of successful ports (there are a few, but not a lot) before you decide…and/or wait for reviews.

And yet the Xbox version will most likely outsell the PC version.[/quote]

Sure, because a lot more folks can afford the Xbox than a good PC. But I don’t see why I’d want the Xbox version if I could afford the PC.

Yeah, but with the Xbox version I spend 40 or 60 hours or however long it takes to beat that game sitting on my futon in front of my TV, which I’d much rather do than sit at my PC.

Also - as was posted here, making the interface specific to the mouse/keyboard doesn’t mean it will necessarily be better. Only time will tell there.

I agree that the PC version will be far outsold by the Xbox version. You can’t really compare them fairly unless they are released within a couple weeks of each other. If they were released simultaneously, I wonder which one would make more money for LucasArts/Bioware, what with them handing over like $7 or $8 to Microsoft for each Xbox copy?

Good point.

But a moot point, because the economics of gaming will likely prevent us from ever finding that out. No one is going to be paying for a game to be PC exclusive anytime soon.

–Dave

And yet the Xbox version will most likely outsell the PC version.[/quote]

Sure, because a lot more folks can afford the Xbox than a good PC. But I don’t see why I’d want the Xbox version if I could afford the PC.[/quote]

And you know what would outsell an Xbox version? A PS2 version! Microsoft must have laid some sweet cash on LucasArts and BioWare.

And you know what would outsell an Xbox version? A PS2 version!

Lol, and so true.

As to the pc or console debate, I’m on the console side of the fence for this one. I don’t care how comfy my pc setup is, it will never rival my leather overstuffed chair for going hours at a stretch!

I have a Nintendo 64 set up in my bedroom, as a replacement for sex. Sit back after a hard day, unwind with Conker and crew… ahhh. Light up a smoke afterwards. Nice.

As to the pc or console debate, I’m on the console side of the fence for this one. I don’t care how comfy my pc setup is, it will never rival my leather overstuffed chair for going hours at a stretch!

I have two problems the console set-up - I have bad eyes that prefer a good monitor and I like the tv to always be on no matter what I’m doing, including playing games :)

I was pretty disappointed at the draw-in distance as well. But, what the hell, I never complain about Jeff Vogel’s games.

You know what I hate? Console to PC ports where they haven’t even bothered to add mouse support to the menu system. WTFIUWT? Like I’m interested in adjusting 16 graphical variables with my goddamn arrow keys! That Enclave demo was a quick uninstall for this reason. I just have no patience for that crap. If you can’t even make the menu system mouse driven, what am I to think about how the rest of the port came off?

You know, as much as I think about how much I want to play KotOR, I have no idea what the game will be like. Is movement going to be mouse driven in the NWN/BG/Diablo click-the-ground-to-move-there sense? I presume that wont be the case in the Xbox version. Is the combat system menu driven? How will it all work?!?!

Comfort is all about 1) leaning back and 2) putting my feet up, and I can’t do either when I’m at my computer. The reason is, ironically, the mouse and keyboard, because I have to sit forward to keep my hands on the desk to reach them. With consoles, I can lay back in my recliner or on my couch and rest my arms at my sides, holding onto the controller in my lap. Ahhh, relaxing. AIM was right about falling asleep though, it sometimes is harder to stay awake that way.

1. and letting out a big fart

I have two problems the console set-up - I have bad eyes that prefer a good monitor and I like the tv to always be on no matter what I’m doing, including playing games

I’m trying to envision playing console games with the TV off, and it’s just not working for me. :)

Hey, I know what he means. I always have the TV on (not watching it really) when I play pc games. When I play console games, it bothers me that there is no nearly muted sound tv show or movie going on at the same time. I could never do homework without the TV or stereo on either.

My solution is to throw a dvd in the pc while I play console games.

Made me feel a bit loony so I’m glad others have this problem, maye someday there will be a support group for those with OCDstyle ‘must have tv on’ disease.