Wife getting "captive.apple.network" login request on her iPad?

Ok, I’m in a hotel, wife just called. She turned on her iPad in the house, trying to connect to the internet in the house, normally just connects to the wireless network through our router (“asus”) - but she’s getting a screen with captive.apple.com at the top, with "asus’ under that, Login under that, and a login box with Authentication Required - 192.168.1.1 and the login and password box. Of course, that’s my router address.

Why in the world is she getting that instead of just being able to log on to our wireless network as usual???

That sounds your router is (mis?)configured to require authentication before allowing outbound traffic via WiFi, much like cafes, airports, hotels, etc, typically do. Did you change something in its configuration recently or anything like that?

Sounds to me as if your router isn’t actually connected to the Internet. I’ve seen that type of behaviour from my Asus RT-N56U before. Have her reboot both your modem and your router, in that order. Have her unplug the power cord for both, then after ten seconds or more, plug back in the modem. Have her wait a couple of minutes, then plug back in the router. In another minute or so, she can check to see if she’s on the wireless network you have setup, and if she can access the Internet. Hopefully that should do the trick, assuming no other changes.