Wii GOTY Review (Williams Pinball, natch)

This is probably the coolest line I’ve read on Qt3 all year. :) I had missed this thread before, so when I saw wumpus bumped it, I ducked in to post about how much I was digging the game on my PSP, and how Firepower is a seriously awesome table.

BTW, the PSP version definitely has all ten tables. Black Knight and Firepower are located in the upstairs area while the other eight are all downstairs. It’s stupid to have to pass through a loading screen to get to those two tables, but since I’ve usually got the PSP in sleep mode on whatever table I’m playing lately, it’s not that big a deal.

And although I really like being able to play vertically, I find myself mostly just going horizontal and using the smart cam so I can see the table better.

-Tom

I finally picked up the Williams collection tonight, and the Wii version also puts Black Knight and Firepower (I used to be the only one who didn’t like that table, but now it’s suddenly grown on me in a matter of minutes - I’m good at it now, unlike the Future Pinball version) upstairs with a loading screen in between.

It is surprisingly satisfying just to be able to shove the Wii remote to nudge the table, especially when the tilt sensors are so forgiving.

Here’s a cool pinball update. A few days ago, another major table was released for Future Pinball. It’s scored more with the games inside the table, and you’ll rarely lose all three balls before the game ends, which happens when the bank breaks $1,000,000.
http://gopinball.com/

I got my Xbox version of the Gottlieb Collection and it runs pretty much flawlessly on the Xbox 360 under backwards compatibility mode. There are a few extremely minor graphical glitches, but perfect otherwise. I had forgotten how much better even Ye Olde Xbox graphics were compared to the painfully bad PS2. So horrible.

After playing it again, I think the Williams Collection is better because the tables included are way more exciting, and the inclusion of the “mission” mode gives you some overarching game beyond just banging away on each table. Both are great, though, and probably the best pinball sims on any console at the moment.

I found these cheat codes for the Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Collection on Xbox:

• Enter “XTN” at the codes screen to play the Xolten machine army
  • Enter “LUV” at the codes screen to play the Love meter machine.
  • Enter “DGC” at the codes screen for the factory tour.
  • Enter “LAS” at the codes screen to enable payout mode.
  • Enter “PKR” at the codes screen to play the Playboy machine.

It looks like the newer PSP and Wii versions have more tables than the Xbox / PS2 versions?

Ah yes:

Williams Collection: Jive Time and Sorcerer are exclusive to Wii and PSP

Gottleb Collection: Goin’ Nuts (never made it into production?) and Strikes & Spares (pin-bowling?) are exclusive to PSP

Wait, Playboy machine? As in pinball machine, or some other arcade gimmick doohicky? Because I seem to remember a Playboy pinball machine from real life, and I didn’t realize it was in the Williams Hall of Fame collection…

-Tom

Play-boy ; it’s a flipperless game, so one of the very early types.

Oh, right, that thing. Yeah, I’ve unlocked that already. Meh. I thought maybe you meant this.

-Tom

Mmmm… Playboy.

Safe for Work.

Is that Frezetta art on the Paragon machine?

Bruce

Just picked it up today at Target, the price is down to $20 now. I’m enjoying it so far, except for the arcade music which got on my nerves fast.

Are there any unlockables about the history of the machines other then the promotional flyers?

It’s worth mentioning that Black Knight was the pinball machine that inspired classic Apple II pinball sim David’s Midnight Magic.

I was loving the PS2 version on my PS3… so much so that I wanted widescreen support and the two extra tables so I sprung for the Wii version.

Holy crap, it’s amazing. If you thought the PS2 one was good, the Wii SKU is just fantastic.

First off, widescreen makes a world of difference. On top of that, the graphics seem much more vibrant and sharper on the Wii.

The main thing though, are the tilt controls. They are incredibly well implemented. On the PS2, you nudged the stick in the direction you wanted tilt, and it jerked the table in that direction. Do it 2 or 3 times, and you get a tilt. Also, your left flipper or right flipper hand were a bit off the flipper button while doing this, so it screwed you up somewhat.

On the Wii, you can subtly tilt in any direction by making the exact same motions you would on a pinball machine. You can do a slight nudge to the right, or a hard slam to the left. You can also do a series of slight left movements to slowly walk the ball a bit, just like a real table. There’s always that analog feeling of “how far can I push before a tilt”, unlike the PS2 where it feels very digital… 2 pushes and you’re out.

It’s one of the best uses of the Wii controls I’ve witnessed yet.

EDIT: The wiimote/nunchuck tilt controls are so good, in fact, that I’m completely kicking ass on every table I learned in the PS2 version. I’m at least doubling, and sometimes quadrupaling, my score. I almost flipped Firepower.

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or in the bargain thread – I bought this at Target tonight for $13.99. It was on the Endcap o’ Cheapness.

I’d say so. I paid $30 plus $5 for shipping and I consider it a great purchase. Given the way it was released, this game was fastracked for the bargain bin from the start.

I’ll also mention this for Wii owners who have gone ahead and invested in a Gamecube controller (wavebird, right?) and memory card – F Zero is like $7 in the local bargain bins. If you don’t mind a really challenging game, that game is a sick bargain.

This is from the ‘who cares’ department, but Stern recently came out with an updated Playboy machine as well. There are the adult and ‘non adult’ versions in that at certain points in the game, a miniature magazine opens up on the playfield with a pciture of a playmate and these can either be nude or non-nude.

http://www.sternpinball.com/playboy.shtml

Ludicrous, I know, but we should still take credit.

from Gamasutra, regarding the PSP version:

The budget-priced Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection makes an unexpected appearance in the top five, meanwhile, as high demand and positive word-of-mouth bring big sales numbers for the reportedly difficult-to-find pinball compilation.

Pretty strong word of mouth from all forums on the net. NeoGaf loves it as well.

Put these devs on a sequel!

Am I the only one who noticed and was disturbed by the grandma in the hot tub?

Um, I’m probably dating myself, but wasn’t she a staple of some ancient Playboy comic? Or maybe I just vividly remember her from the actual pinball machine. Either way, I instantly knew exactly what you were talking about before clicking on the link.

-Tom

She could be related to Little Annie Fanny, who is the cartoon-y blonde sitting next to her.