Wii System Menu 4.0

I didn’t see a thread for this, but an update has been released.
[ul][li]Store more—Add more Wii storage using SD Cards or the high capacity SDHC Card format (up to 32GB)
[/li]
[li]Improved SD Card support—launch WiiWare™ titles, Virtual Console™ games, or channels directly from an SD/SDHC Card
[/li]
[li]Let your Wii console move games and channels to an SD/SDHC Card with Auto Manage when system memory fills up
[/li]
[*]Download titles from the Wii Shop Channel to Wii system memory or directly to an SD/SDHC Card[/ul]

Good gravy, Adree, it’s like this board is an MMO and you’re constantly waiting for a new mob to appear.

lol, i went to purdue

Yeah, and because the first few times you use an ability in an MMO, it seems pretty cool, until you do it so often and in such a rote way it becomes totally tedious.

As for the Wii stuff, might be useful. I never use the SD card in my phone much, so I might pop it in just for shits and giggles.

It’s a shame the Wii is underpowered. Waving around the Wiimote is fine and all, but a console without GTA is dead to me.

Go buy the excellent GTA: Chinatown Wars, maybe you’ll get one for the Wii if it does well.

Took me about 40 minutes to transfer all of my stuff to a newly purchased 4gb SDHC card. It’s so nice having a really clean frontend again and peace of mind when browsing the Wii shop channel for anything and everything with all those thousands of blocks freed up.

Hell, yes. I got an SD card soon after getting the console and was shocked when, moving games onto it, I couldn’t access them at all.

Huh. I never judged a game system by power. Call me crazy, but fun was always the most important factor. Don’t get me wrong, when I got a 360 GTA IV was the first thing I bought for it, and I can totally understand favoring your spending dollars toward a console that has a killer app that you want. But even on the 360, in general I’m having more fun with the lower “powered” XBLA games than I am with the cutting edge graphical ones.

So do they do some kind of magic encryption or something (which will be cracked in 3…2…1…) or are the torrent sites going to light up with packages containing every piece of WiiWare imaginable, that all you have to do is transfer to an SD card and you’re done?

I’m pretty sure the Wii store stuff is bound to the purchasing console by a hardware ID, with a digital signature check so that you can’t just alter the ID. The only real way to crack it would be to replace the firmware entirely, and I’m not sure they’ve gotten that far.

I thought the Wii only supported up to 2GB non-HC cards?

First post in the thread, dude.

Doh! I read the part about WiiWare stuff, and didn’t make the SDHC connection :) I also expected the lack of SDHC support to be a hardware limitation, not something that could be upped by a new system menu. Neat.

I won’t be updating until they fix the homebrew issues that every firmware update has. I pretty much just use my Wii as a homebrew machine right now.

Purdue rocks.

I believe that horse bolted quite some time ago.

Sounds like they finally closed the Twilight hack once and for all with this update. Guess that doesn’t matter if you already have the homebrew stuff installed though.

Last I read there are still problems even if you have homebrew installed. But I do see that there is an updater program that updates your Wii without all the bad stuff.

And the twilight hack has been closed at least twice before, so I wouldn’t discount the possibility that the hole will be reopened.

So what kind of interesting homebrew are there on the wii? I did a quick search and found nothing but piratey tools and a dvd player. Certainly nothing comparable to xbmc or Colours! on the ds.

The port of Quake is pretty cool, I guess.