Wildermyth

Interesting! This sounds cool! The art definitely isn’t my thing but the overwhelming praise for the game will get me to play it at some point. It already got me to buy it.

I think the idea of something like this game has been around a long time. But for some reason nobody has ever managed to do it. I’m really enjoying it.

It’s not something I want to binge on. The novelty of the events is important and they are far from infinite (I am seeing repeats after two campaigns). But playing a campaign every few weeks creates a lovely bit of procedural storytelling, and the artwork - especially how heroes progress from bumpkins to kitted out veterans - and the whimsical writing supports that in a way I’ve never seen before.

I think this might not be the “best game ever” by a long shot, but I’m pretty sure it’s a landmark in procedural storytelling. It’s going to define a genre the same way Slay the Spire has defined rogue-like deckbuilders.

I really hope you’re right about that.

Me too! But there’s really nothing that has done what this game has (however imperfectly) done, and it seems to be pretty popular. I hope sales match the review sentiment.

I guess there’s a certain aspect of horror to amputation, body mutilation, and non-human hybridisation (and maybe something for religious people?)… though really it’s not depicted in any detail in the game. The first time it happened to me it was super cool, as I had not seen any spoilers before.

But dead is dead, nothing out of the ordinary, a part of so many games. Though given how well the game emotionally attaches characters to you, you may well get triggered when they die! :)

I was just about to hit the buy button to play this tonight and my cable went out. Sigh… Looks so good.

I was surprised and pleased to see that a choice I made that didn’t pay off during the campaign came back once I recruited the character for my legacy in a later playthrough. I still want to know what this pet rat is going to do though.

I had a chance to play the first Act(?) earlier this week, and the game is as charming as advertised. I tried to turn down my analytical brain and go with the flow, but I think I will enjoy the game more once I have a better understanding about various skill/strategy decisions instead of essentially picking things somewhat randomly like I’ve been doing. I’m also still not clear on some of the combat mechanics, especially infusing objects.

Now that I’ve seen the game in action, I will probably just browse a few basic game guides before diving in again. I’m all in for making decisions based on the narrative I want to pursue, but I also want to have some additional context for those choices based on how I want my group to progress, even if story curveballs get thrown here and there.

The game has an excellent official wiki, which is linked from the in-game interface frequently and is great for answering specific questions.

Internet still out sigh. Guess I’ll try it tomorrow. It seems like a fun game that I could put into the tv and play with the family. I think it said you could do local co op.

Yup. Haven’t tried it myself, but I can see how that would be fun.

Did you look at the ‘How to Play’ section of the main menu? I found this explained the basics of everything you need to know pretty simply.

Thanks @vinraith and @Profanicus, I think I breezed right over that in-game help because for once I didn’t want to start out by getting wrapped up in reading about how to play the game vs. just playing. I will definitely look for those things this weekend when I have some more time to play!

That’s pretty much what I did, too - played a bit, then went back to read up on the things I’d glossed over. :)

yeah this confused me too at the beginning but now I think it might be the most powerful mechanic. It gives free scouting and spells. Just be careful not to start a fight using 3 mystics on a battlefield with very few objects, which happened to me yesterday.

Tip: when leveling up, sometimes mystics will get some skill options that create objects to interfuse with. If you pair those with some related skills, it’s super powerful. ;)

Anyone know what the benefit is of having more years of peace between chapters? All I can tell is that it makes your characters older and retire sooner, but there must be some benefit.

I just started this and my warriors did more damage than I expected from reading here. There was a reason though and it may not happen again soon?

They became lovers and had a “Lover’s Revenge” trait where if you hit the lover, your lover did a lot of excess damage. As both the warriors they stood in front and everything hit them ofc so they were always had the bonus damage almost always.

@wilykat I suspect the reason is exactly that - not a benefit at all but a counterbalance to push out heroes that are getting way too powerful if you’re having lots of success in the main campaign.

@Hechicera yep, that is a pretty powerful ability alright. I’ve noted that campaigns always start with a choice between a couple of characters where you get to choose between rivalry/friendship/romance so it’s easy enough to get it each time.

Also I think it means a higher chance of children?