Win xp pro - home network

I currently have a cable modem connected to a Linksys router (I think it’s a router) and two PCs with Ethernet adapters connected to the router. One PC runs Win 98 and the other runs Win ME. I can get to the internet from both PCs. I think I set this up a few years ago using Win ME home networking.

I’m getting a new Win XP Pro SP2 PC that is going to replace the Win ME machine. I’ve read a little about XP Pro networking and the Network Setup wizard.

Do I just need to connect the XP machine to the router and run the Nework Setup wizard and that’s it?

Do I then need to run the Network Setup Wizard (via a floppy) on the other Win 98 PC or can I just leave it alone?

Do I need the XP firewall in addition to the Linksys router firewall?

If the XP firewall is a good idea, I assume that only my XP machine will be protected by it and the Win 98 machine will be exposed, right?

thanks in advance for any help

Do you just want the internet connection? If so you don’t hvae to set up anything really. Just plug it in and it should work. You only really need to do networking setup if you want to share resources.

I’d like to share resources (files, printer, etc) and play LAN games.

Oh man.

I’m pretty hopeless when it comes to this but I always felt that getting Win98 machines to interoperate with WinXP machines is annoyingly difficult.

Good luck.

:(

Hell, I can’t even get my desktop running WinXP Pro to see my laptop running WinXP Home.

Since you have the Linksys router, you really don’t need the XP firewall. You’re protected from the major problem, that is, people attacking you from the internet.

Plug in your XP machine to the router – it’ll probably just work, and autodetect all the settings. Then run the network setup wizard.

If you have trouble getting the 98 box to see the XP box, make sure simple file sharing is OFF, and install NETBEUI on both boxes. That should do it. Maybe.

I’ve done this lots of times. Just run the Wizard on XP and then after that use the XP to run the networkign wizard on the 98 machine. Make sure tha t they are both under the same group and you should be good to go.

Ack! Don’t do that! NetBEUI doesn’t even exist in the XP world, but he would be able to get it on the 98 box, potentially borking his entire networking setup.

What he’s referring to is NetBIOS, which will run just fine over TCP/IP. In your network properties, you should see File and Printer Sharing for Windows or something to that effect. That’s all that needs to be on.

As for the low-level, all of your machines should be getting their IP addresses from the LinkSys, via DHCP. It’s the default setting, so the new XP box should just plug in. If you have a problem with it, go to a command prompt and run:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

then just run

ipconfig

You should have an address in the 192.168. range, if the Linksys was set up with defaults.

H.

Edit: I’m retarded, I thought you said something about printers.

Ack! Don’t do that! NetBEUI doesn’t even exist in the XP world, but he would be able to get it on the 98 box, potentially borking his entire networking setup.[/quote]

You’re very wrong. Netbeui is alive and well on the XP install cd. It just doesn’t show up in the normal selection list. You have to manually add it.

That being said, you can also bind netbios to IPX on both boxes and be fine… it’s just that IPX is a chatty protocol and also stinks of the devil that is netware.

Ack! Don’t do that! NetBEUI doesn’t even exist in the XP world, but he would be able to get it on the 98 box, potentially borking his entire networking setup.[/quote]

You’re very wrong. Netbeui is alive and well on the XP install cd. It just doesn’t show up in the normal selection list. You have to manually add it.

That being said, you can also bind netbios to IPX on both boxes and be fine… it’s just that IPX is a chatty protocol and also stinks of the devil that is netware.[/quote]

Heck, I’m still a big fan of Netware, but IPX and NetBEUI are rightful dinosaurs, and should be swept under the rug whenever possible.

H.

I managed to get it to work. As soon as I plugged my Win XP machine in, I could access the internet and see my Win 98 machine. However, my Win 98 machine had trouble seeing my Win XP machine until I ran the Network Setup Wizard off of a floppy I had created from my Win XP machine. Then, everything worked Ok.

Thanks for everybody’s help.