Wind Waker. How can a game be so good?

Prepare for some serious Miyamoto lovin’…

I’ve charted about 1/3 of the seas and finished the big central story sequence after the return to the fortress. This game is fantastic, one of the best games ever made and all by itself a reason to get a Gamecube.

They fixed all the problems with Ocarina of Time – the controls are smoother and more practical, the mix of combat/questing/exploration is just about perfect, and the game’s much easier which is very welcome (maybe I’ll actually finish this Zelda iteration!).

The cartoon graphics are relatively simple but provide a vast range of vision across the sea, and some crucial parts such as facial expressions are quite detailed and extremely well animated. The story is just plain amazing, especially if you know Ocarina of Time. The puzzles are the best I’ve ever seen in any game, they make great use of the 3D environment and its realistic physics.

If I had to state any complaint it would be the fact that you get tons of rupees early on when you can’t hold them, and then suddenly the rupee stream dries up just as you get the rupee bag enhancements, and meet a time-limited merchant with super-expensive rare items. Gee, thanks…

Amusing fact: on http://www.videogamereview.com the game actually got a rather low average score of 4.22/5. Guess what the negative reviewers complained about? The graphics. Too cartoony, too simple…

Just wait until you get towards the end of the game… some extremely tedious bits. I loved the game up until that point… and I haven’t touched it since.

Definitely has some pacing problems, but still worth finishing.

One thing that’s very strange is that the quest in the second half of the game seems much longer then it actually is.

I managed to beat the whole game in about 10 days of dedicated playing.

I thought the game was good too, but I actually would bring the game down for being too easy. It’d be nice if they had added some different difficulty levels where the only difference would just be how much damage you would take from the monsters.

The boat travel at first was cool but eventually it got tedious for me. It’d would have also been pretty swank when you found some treasure chest in the sea that it would be some special object like maybe one of the old snes games.

I also would like to know why so far in Wind Waker, I have not come across a single mini game dealing with fishing (I mean you spent most of your time in the sea, you’d think they would be fishing involved, unless they thought that it might be odd for you to catch fish while feeding that other fish that gives you tips). Overall, I enjoyed playing Wind Waker and think its one of the best games I’ve play on the GC so far.

I read that once you finish it, a hard difficult opens up, but I wouldn’t know because I’m stuck on the fetch quest at the end.

The boat travel at first was cool but eventually it got tedious for me. It’d would have also been pretty swank when you found some treasure chest in the sea that it would be some special object like maybe one of the old snes games.

Good idea! Yeah, the item system is my biggest beef with the game. Some variety in it could have made Wind Waker a real killer title.

I also would like to know why so far in Wind Waker, I have not come across a single mini game dealing with fishing (I mean you spent most of your time in the sea, you’d think they would be fishing involved, unless they thought that it might be odd for you to catch fish while feeding that other fish that gives you tips). Overall, I enjoyed playing Wind Waker and think its one of the best games I’ve play on the GC so far.

There is definetly a fish oriented mini game in there…just keep playing.

We finished it last night and it’s easily on par with Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, my two favorites in the series. The griping about finding the Triumph Forks seems so petty to me because I loved exploring the islands in the later game. Everything you need to find is marked right on a map and if you have the ability to warp (and you should), it takes next to no time to get to where you need to go. I love the day/night cycle and the astronomically correct sky. I love the dungeons even though they are too easy for veteran players. But I also love the easy difficulty because it means my kids can play and not get frustrated. I can even help them with the Tingle Tuner.

There’s so many great gameplay concepts at work here. Exploration, puzzle solving and of course everyone in the game has personality. There are no cardboard cut outs standing around waiting to give you a quest. They’ve all got their own place in this beautiful world. If you haven’t seen the endgame, you’re really missing out too. The final confrontation is expertly done using some great teamwork that I’ve never seen accomplished in another game. Combined with the excellent, sequel setting conclusion…this is clearly one of the best games of this generation so far.

Once again, I really don’t understand the complaints about sailing. You don’t HAVE to explore the whole map if you don’t want to, and if the game only asked you to visit like ten squares, what would be the point of even having an ocean out there? That’s a lot of the fun of the game is exploring the ocean and finding all these hidden bits. I’m ready to play through again for the Nintendo Gallery. Something I’m guessing a lot of you never found…

–Dave

The final battle pissed me off SO badly; ALL that friggin’ training for nothing! Dammit. A liiiiittle too easy for the most part.
Other than that I loved it, Contrai seems to have wanted a bit of ‘Animal Crossing’ in the game, maybe classic items to collect for your cabana? That would have been cool. The Nintendo Club is a really sweet extra though.

I read that once you finish it, a hard difficult opens up, but I wouldn’t know because I’m stuck on the fetch quest at the end.

Good idea! Yeah, the item system is my biggest beef with the game. Some variety in it could have made Wind Waker a real killer title.

There is definetly a fish oriented mini game in there…just keep playing.[/quote]

Well I guess I’ll just keep playing to finding that fishing game as well as new difficulty level :D

Thanks for the info

You’ll have to lend it to me then 8)

Hmmm. I’m not knocking it, but I just didn’t stay interested. I played it for one weekend, got to the third dungeon, and haven’t touched it in about six weeks. There was seriously some mojo missing for me. I have zero desire to get in and start playing again for some reason. It’s kind of frustrationg really, since this was one of my most anticipated games this year. :(

Arise, thread, so I may bitch and moan!

So this summer my mother-in-law picked up a WiiU for my son and daughter because they are apparently incredibly persuasive. I recommended she not get it since I didn’t imagine they would get much use out of it other than maybe the week after purchase and then they would lose interest. It turns out, I was completely right, but that’s another story.

THIS story is about how I actually fell in love with the system and after months of it sitting in a box in the living room just moved it to my office and played through Mario 3D Land (man that’s a fantastic game)! Now, this system was the special fancy-pants Zelda Wind Waker HD version, and I played through Wind Waker on the GC back in the day and at the time declared it my all time favorite Zelda, hands down. I don’t really remember a lot of it though, but I didn’t like any of the Zelda games that came since (waggling the wiimote to attack? Are you fucking kidding me!?) but since this came with the system, I was quite excited to try it out. Knowing I wouldn’t have time until the end of the year (which I was correct about) I used the code and downloaded it in advance and let it sit.

This weekend, having wrapped up Dragon Age and most of the other games on my list (and even knocking out a few from my backlog) I decided to give this a try. I booted up the system, installed the update that was waiting for me, and … no Zelda. It’s just not an icon anywhere. The History of Zelda book that came with the system IS on there, but I can’t find the game anywhere.

I tried signing in with the Nintendo ID I created way back to pick up some demos on the 3DS - and was told the e-mail address doesn’t exist/isn’t associated with Nintendo ID. Neither was my son’s. Wait, what?

This got me to remembering a few months back when my son and I decided to sell our 3DS systems - we never use them and nothing coming out really grabs us at all, so why not get some decent credit from Gamestop? As part of selling it, I read I would be well advised to delete the Nintendo ID off of them, as formatting doesn’t remove that information. Now, I never used a credit card to buy anything, but better safe than sorry, I felt. Now I worry that deleting the Nintendo ID off both systems (mine and my son’s ID) has also deleted any access to the Zelda HD game I had downloaded.

How fucking stupid is that? Why does deleting the Nintendo ID off the 3DS completely delete the ID!? How else should I have played that - just left the ID on the system and formatted only? That seems irresponsible.

I put a ticket in with Nintendo but haven’t heard anything. I mostly just wanted to vent. I’m NEVER buying anything from the Nintendo store, ever. Just a stupid system. I still want to play Zelda HD but … fuck, Nintendo, you make it really tough to love you these days.

Wow, that was a great thread necro. That story totally didn’t go where I was expecting.

It’s a good cautionary tale, to be sure. I’ll be curious to know what Nintendo’s response is.

Well, I got a hold of Nintendo by finding an 800 number (at last) and calling in. The girl I spoke with first said I could give them the serial number of the WiiU and they could get me a new download code. However, when I got home and got the S/N and called in, the second tech told me she could see the account and see it still had Wind Waker HD tied to it, so she pushed it up to engineering to re-connect my e-mail to it. Half an hour later I got an e-mail to call in with a 12-digit code, which got me directly to a third tech who informed me the account is completely unrecoverable and had me create a new one.

I did so, and he said he could not find Wind Waker HD attached to my account at all, but agreed it was strange as I DO have the “History of Hyrule” app that I would have received when I pulled it down the first time. He acknowledges that this is very strange and is going to try and recover the game, but if he cannot they will have me call in to get a physical address and mail me a copy. Which is cool of them, but of course by the time I get it I’ll be balls-deep in other games I want to be playing, stuff like Far Cry 4 and the like I asked for as gift ideas. Eh, what can you do.

I don’t like the zelda franchise and think its the most over rated gaming property of all time.

oooooo…kay?

Ugh, Bleed, that so does not sound encouraging.

I don’t have any current-gen Nintendo systems (in fact, all I have are a launch-day Wii and NDS–yeah, the giant clamshell version), but have been thinking about them as something to maybe invest in for next year, but after reading stuff like this and Wii-to-WiiU game purchase port horror stories, I have very little faith in Nintendo’s ability to function in modernity :-/

Update - and Armando, it has a happy ending, fwiw.

I got a note from Nintendo this morning the ticket was closed. This was strange as I hadn’t heard anything about getting me a new copy of the game? I called in and reference the ticket and the tech I spoke with (one a side note - I spoke with four different techs, which is sort of frustrating, but they were ALL very friendly and polite and actually helpful and knowledgeable) said I was probably going to get the download code later today. He said he’d just issue me one right then, just to be on the safe side, and within minutes of hanging up I received the download code. I’ll kick it off at lunch, so I can play tonight!

Nintendo has always made amazing products and games, since I couldn’t play Zelda but I had the Wii U all hooked up I got back into Mario 3D Land which I still maintain is worth the price of admission to the Wii U all by itself (seriously, it’s excellent), but I am DEFINITELY sticking with physical disc games only, and I caution others to do the same.

See, I’d originally hoped to swap to digital, at least with the WiiU, as my Wii’s disc drive is on its very last legs after years of being dragged around in my backpack as a portable Smash Bros/Mario Kart machine :)

P.S. - Glad you got it all worked out! You’re like the Qt3 Mounties; you always get your game.

Immediately made me remember this: