Windows 10

Sort of Win10 related.

Good times!

Good. They tried to violate an agreement, don’t know how in the world they thought they’d ever get away with it.

[quote=“LMN8R, post:2927, topic:75647, full:true”]That’s always been there!

It’s just that the anniversary update fixed some bugs where universal apps didn’t remember how you resized them or didn’t launch at all.[/quote]

Cool! I never noticed because the calculator always started up at the smallest possible size and I didn’t even think to resize it. Anniversary update reset the startup size to include the history column, so I saw it for the first time.

Mine does. When I power off, as Windows 10 shuts down, I get a sound. Same as the general alert sound.

Hmm.

Latest Fast Ring Insider build (14901) broke the Settings app. Some you can still access via the command-line or PowerShell via “start ms-settings:xxx” such as “windows-update” but some like “taskbar” outright don’t work and just close.

I guess I’ll wait for the fix.

I have a shutdown sound, but what’s annoying me: I’ve installed Win 10 on two laptops (Acer & Lenovo), but the “shutdown” option doesn’t actually shut down the laptops - it seems to send them into sleep oder hibernate mode. And even that not properly. Just noticed that one of them was quite hot when I pulled it out of my bag despite having it “shut down” 30 minutes earlier prior packing it. Toyed around with some of the power settings, but wasn’t successful. Using “shutdown /s” via run menu for now as that seems to do the job.

Weird. I don’t have a sound and there’s nowhere to configure it. Google search says they removed it also.

Huh. I may have to check again next time, maybe it’s my mind playing tricks out of habit.

Did you try turning off fast startup under ‘choose what the power button does’ in power options?

Shutdown sound might be Skype or something else closing as Windows stops all active processes? I know Skype has a pretty distinctive sound on exit…

This - there IS a sound in Windows 10 for a forced shutdown of a program.

After foolishly upgrading to Win10 AU last night, got a blue screen within 10 minutes.

Tonight, another BS.

Gentlemen, this version of windows is shit.

Edit - Related? Who knows.

Have they even fixed the XBOne controller issue yet? Between this and that, I’m seriously tempted to do what I can to prevent it updating until several major patches down the line.

So far, all my machines are running pretty great on Windows 10. My desktop is 7 years old!

The SSD issue with the Anniversary version seems like a good marketing tool for saying YES to “forced updates”, or?

Almost glad that the update’s repeatedly failed on my PC now, lol :P

Is that article suggesting that just having an SSD is causing issues with the anniversary update? I have 2 SSDs and a data drive on this machine, and 1 SSD and a data drive on 2 more PCs in this house, AND I moved my two laptops to SSDs. All are running Windows 10 and only the laptops haven’t been updated yet to anniversary edition. Clearly there is more to it than just having an SSD. As they say in the article:

Our question is this: given that the Anniversary Update has been available for months via the Windows Insider programme, how does something as significant as this sneak through to the stable release?

It didn’t “sneak through”. There is something else going on.

What SSD issue? I’ve installed it on 5 computers with SSDs, and I’ve had no issues whatsoever.

This one:

Edit: oh phooey, Bal’s link didn’t come through. This: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2467934/solid-state-of-mind-borked-by-microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update

Awesome, it hits some people with SSD C:\ and programs on separate drives, and it happens some time after you update. So it could happen to you, or me, at any time, just a giant “fuck off, will you?” from out of nowhere. Looking forward to that.