Windows 10

Thought I’d try the Windows 10 photo viewer as my default viewer.

However, when I double click on a photo in a folder to open it, then hit the right arrow or left arrow to move to the next photo, nothing happens. Hmmm.

OK, maybe those aren’t the right hotkeys (even though every photo view in history uses those.) Nope - those are the right keys. It just doesn’t work.

Anyone out there know if there are alternate hotkeys? Or if I just need to use a different default program? Hard to believe something this basic is broken.

Just use Irfanview. Never look back.

Windows Photo Viewer is horrific.

Yeah, thought I’d give it a try, but this is a quick show stopper.

My fave is FastStone - I like the folder view option on the left side of the screen, fast, lots of options,and I’m used to it. ;)

Of course, Windows 10’s settings options won’t give me that option as a default for photos (but just went back in the FastStone prefs and set the associations there.)

Be careful with Irfanview. Depending on where you download it from, ie download dot com (cnet), you’ll be installing some nasty ad-ware on your machine. I personally am never using Irfranview again because the developer allows that, which is a shame since it’s a great program.

Ninite FTW.

[quote=“Gordon_Bleu, post:2972, topic:75647, full:true”]
Be careful with Irfanview. Depending on where you download it from, ie download dot com (cnet), you’ll be installing some nasty ad-ware on your machine. I personally am never using Irfranview again because the developer allows that, which is a shame since it’s a great program.[/quote]

You can grab the 64-bit version of Irfanview and its various plugins direct from the site as a zip; no installer, and presumably no icky ad-ware.

EDIT: Looks like the plugins download from Fosshub, but again, just don’t download the one with the installer.

Why does Irfanview still look like a made-for-Windows 95 application? It’s 2016 for god’s sake.

Use XnView?

I’ve got two issues with Windows 10, not critical.

No calculator. I don’t know where it went, but it’s no longer present. I now have to bring up a programming language interpreter and write an expression.

The Windows+s search input updates for each pressed character one every 10 seconds. Agonisingly slow and almost unusable. Is it going to the internet to ask for search results that never get displayed? Who knows?

One complaint:

There is no longer a clock in the popup calendar thingy. So I can no longer watch the second hands go around and time something visually for 15/30/60 seconds. Just a not so usable updating seconds number.

There’s a calculator. It’s not my favorite. Did you try typing calculator in the search bar?

When I click on the taskbar time/date I get the calendar with a digital clock (w/seconds) above it.

Yep. There’s still a calculator, although it’s a slow UWP POS, and the time is right above the calendar.

Probably the 4th time I’ve posted it in this thread, but if you want the old non-UWP calculator back:

I really, really like FastStone

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

If your webcam no longer works, here’s why.

I can get it to work through Google Hangouts but not Logitech’s actual software, oddly enough.

So if I pin an exe, like Steam.exe, to the start menu it shows up on the start menu.

If I try and search for steam by hitting Win Key + ‘steam’ it doesn’t pick up the pinned item. Wtf. No, I don’t want to search the web for steam or install some stupid Window Store app.

Good to know since I have a C920 at work. I haven’t received the Anniversary Update yet, but hope that Microsoft gets around to addressing the issue before it’s my turn…

I am not sure what’s worse, knowing you’re about to get hit by some nasty bugs or just being like the rest of us and being surprised by the experience.

Then use the search box conveniently at the bottom of your screen. It finds Steam just fine:

Wendelius

[quote=“Adam_B, post:2970, topic:75647, full:true”]
Just use Irfanview. Never look back.[/quote]
Look back… fondly on the late 90s. A blast from the past.