Windows 10

I have slowly been converting machines to linux at work but somethings I just can’t convert for various reasons. I don’t really think of WS2012R2 as sucking either, and 2016 I hope containerizes all the things.

Exchange though, man I can get behind some good old fashioned loathing right there.

Haha nope. Put my machine to sleep, walked away, and I see in the eventlog it rebooted it 15 minutes later by waking it up from sleep, killing everything and losing my work and game progress AGAIN.

So how screwed am I? Getting a new laptop with Win 10 Pro on 256GB SSD. I also want to clone my present 256 SSD.to a new 1TB SSD. Can I use the Win Pro key to upgrade my Home key after I do the cloning?

Did that even make sense?

Wish they’d make it easier to switch to Win10… hoping SadNav relents.

The Long Term Service Branch version looks to be the best of the worst versions though.

So I just did rebuild of the indexes of all my files in the PC and that took almost 6 hours to index 600K files. And yet, after it completed, Win 10 is not able to find a XLS file I am looking for, nor some other files/ folders I have on my mind. Why doesn’t Windows 10 just work like Mac’s Spotlight?

Becaue they put a lot of bad engineering into windows search services for a general solution to searching everything and don’t want to give it up, despite it being a resource hog and garbage to boot.

Get Everything or Listary (my new favorite). It doesn’t have to index anything, it just loads the ntfs index in a minute or two and away you go.

Course that only works with ntfs but you should be using that anyways.

Man, thank you all for the Listary hookup. What an awesome little utility. Absolutely loving it.

I am a secret luster after the Mac’s Alfred/Quicksilver utilities and I have been searching for a long time for one that worked half as well. I have used Executor, Launchy, Find & Run Robot and they all just missed the mark for different reasons. Listary is the first one that actually integrated an Everything clone into itself and that made all the difference.

I even bought Pro, not that it’s necessary. Though the keyword system in Pro is an OK replacement for lack of a score system for usage.

If they ever finally add plugins I will be a happy man. And update the website so it doesn’t look like a cheesy Speed up My PC site.

Man, thanks for this tip! I can’t believe I let my PC wasted 6 hours of CPU time reindexing the whole thing, for nothing! Nothing! Seriously, what the hell is it indexing then? I even typed the filename and yet nothing is shown.

Yeah, Spotlight and Alfred are great stuff for the Mac. And don’t forget Finder’s Smart Folder where I could just create a rules, such as, all Powerpoints I have opened in the past 7 days, and this folder will be dynamically updated every time I open in. Windows is no where near. But Windows forces me to remember my file and directory structure. I guess it’s helping me exercise my brain a bit.

Everything just searches uh… everything and that’s pretty much it. Listary is a file launcher that does a ton more plus incorporates the same ntfs index searching tech as Everything.

So I hit a hotkey to bring up Listary, which is just a small bar that shows up in the middle of the screen and start typing in a file name or a fragment thereof. Then I can open it, rename it, open the file’s path, etc all from my keyboard. It finds everything scattered across 3TB almost instantly.

I just tried Listry on one machine and within about 5 minutes I installed it on the rest of my PCs.

It’s very much like Spotlight on the Mac. Thank god. Just double-tap CTRL and the Listry search bar pops up in the middle of the screen. Finds any file in a fraction of a second. Didn’t even need to index anything. It was working within 30 seconds of installation.

And I have no fucking idea what Microsoft did to the search in Windows 10, but it’s up there with Microsoft Bob.

On another Windows 10 note,

Edge remains painfully slow when using the LastPass extension. Some pages load fairly quickly, but others, it waits about 5-10 seconds before it starts to load the page.

C’mon, Microsoft. I’m trying to give your browser a chance.

Doing some work on my wife’s laptop. Says it’s going to restart for an update because it’s outside of active hours. Click to change active hours from 8AM to midnight. I’m active during those times, right? Says I can only be active between 1 to 12 hours per day.

I just laughed and laughed…

It seems like an insufficiently detailed system. They should allow definition of ranges of Essential hours, and Maintenance hours, and leave some space in between for urgent actions. If you need your PC Essential for 12+ hours per day, they can charge you for a commercial license instead of home version :) :( .

I love the shutdown and install updates option. You would think you could select it and it would install everything so next time you turned it on you would be ready to go.

Nope. It shuts your machine down and then installs almost everything when you turn it back on. How is that different than just the normal shutdown option?

The restart and install everything option at least works, though if you walk away you are leaving your machine on. Even with the electric company paying me $10 for all of last year I still don’t like doing that.

Any opinions on CleanMyPC, a utility for clearing up unnecessary disk space and it’s also a registry cleaner. I love their CleanMyMac version, which is pretty and did help me free up space. I am just not sure how good CleanMyPC is considering there are other tools available for the right job (what is a good one, though?)

Yes, I have opinions.

Don’t

Registry cleaners are one of the most destructive utilities that naive computer enthusiasts have ever thrust upon unwitting victims. They inevitably end up completely wiping out vital systems or services that may not give you problems today, but will rear their ugly heads months or years down the road when something just randomly stops working and you have no idea why. You’ll then blame Windows for being broken, most likely.

Or maybe it’ll happen when some future Windows update comes out, whether a security update or a major upgrade like the anniversary update. That seemingly innocent registry cleaner you ran months ago might have changed or deleted something that Microsoft never expected to be changed or deleted. So the update or upgrade will fail to install, leaving you confused and annoyed that updates keep failing, and then you’ll complain that Windows Update is shit and never works right.

If you want to clean up disk space, then use built-in utilities like Disk Cleanup. Use WinDirStat to find files or programs you have have forgotten about or to see what’s taking up space. Use supported utilities condoned by Microsoft to configure things or remove unwanted things. But for the love of god never run “registry cleaners”.

wow, thanks man! I have no idea registry cleaner could have potential effect for future Windows Update. This truly gives me a different perspective to those tools. It does feed into a sense of achievement, having the ability to clean up junks in the system, but if it’s going to give problems further down the road, I am definitely not going to touch the registry now. Life is too short to have to troubleshoot Windows issue in the future!

CCleaner does a great job at disk cleaning also, and is more thorough than Microsoft’s disk cleanup as it also scrubs application data.

I agree, never ever use registry cleaners.

As a first time PC clone owner back in the mists of time, this was my first major mistake. Can’t be repeated often enough.