Windows 10

All this registry discussion has me wondering if the best option, if you think your system needs a major clean-up, wouldn’t be to just re-install. Prior to Windows 10, I’d have said that a re-install of the OS was unquestionably the best choice. I used to do it every year or so, just on general principles. But now, I’ve got no physical media for Windows 10, and I used the free upgrade from Windows 7 to get to my current install. If I had to re-install for some reason, I’m not entirely sure how I’d go about it.

Any thoughts on what the options are for a clean re-install in this situation? I don’t need it right now, but you never know when something might happen.

You’re good to go: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a

Good to know, thanks. Looks like all I have to worry about is if the install somehow doesn’t recognize that “same device” restriction. Just have to remember not to change any hardware, I guess.

So after the big “Anniversary Update” my computer began to randomly reboot. That seems to have resolved itself over the last week but now I have an awesome new problem.

I use the Fender FUSE software to control my guitar amp and it has never given me a problem before, but the aforementioned update appears to have either deleted or corrupted .NET 3.5 (which FUSE needs to function). Awesome, I’ll just reinstall it. Except I fucking can’t. Both the online installer, and even the full sized redistributable just hang and refuse to download or install anything. The funny part is, when I go to install .NET 3.5 I get an error message stating that I need .NET 3.5 in order to do that.

Try installing it through the Windows features instead of a standalone installer. It’s built into the actual OS instead of installed separately, but you should be able to toggle it on and off to force a reinstall.

That did it. When I run the installer it actually automatically tries to install via Windows Features, but fails every time. So I went and checked Windows Features by itself and .NET 3.5 was disabled for some inexplicable reason.

How does one whitelist a W10 UWP game in say, a security program, because the (for example, forza_x64_release_final.exe) executable in c:\program files\windowsapps\etc. appears to be encrypted or not a valid EXE?

in the same vein, how does one create a desktop shortcut to a UWP game?

I’d say the simplest solution is to NOT buy any UWP Applications to prevent it/that_shite getting a foothold.
Doesn’t help you if you already got one of course.

The icons keep going to the default icon so I had to use Photoshop to make some icons for Fora Horizon 3, Forza Apex and Gears of Wars Ultimate Edition.

Whether it works or not, I think you could try switching tools. Microsoft’s file-search tools take ages to find anything. Search Everything is completely instant. (Except on network drives, then it takes as long as Microsoft does).

(Though it looks like in the latest version the search via the windows menu is now fast. On Windows 8.1 it used to take ages and often just show me internet search queries, which was nothing but useless.)

Still, It’ll show you the same things for “Windows versio” as it does for “Windows version”, which Microsoft’s start menu search completely fails to do.

As for the Anniversary Update: I have still yet to be blessed by it, which is a bit annoying, as I’ve been wanting to use the Unix tools since I first heard about them. (But I couldn’t subscribe to the early adopter stuff as we’re not allowed to have MS accounts here and tie them to Windows)

edit: Woo, other people have also mentioned Everything. Great tool. I’ll take a look at Listary, though it looks a lot like Launchy that I used to use a decade ago.

Excellent. I’ll give this a try. Windows 10 rebooting is a nightmare. It completely kills my VMs and things. (I’ve tried VBoxHeadlessTray, but it didn’t save them on shutdown like it claimed it did. Also, Windows search will not find VboxHeadlessTray unless I type it in exactly, which is a pain, as I couldn’t remember it’s name. I found it in everything by typing ‘tray box’ THANKS Cortana)

one dumb question: what is the fastest way to reset login password on windows 10?

Listary is Everything + Launchy rolled up into one nice package. It’s a great combination.

Do these third party searches search for words within like Word docx or xlsx? I mean my searches are pretty minimal but I just like throwing in the word say XCOM and pulling up the game as well as any documents I created… regardless of what I named them. It’s just so weird my ALL search is broken, but if I tell it to look for documents… finds it fine. My laptop which got the update… also fine, and also had a HDD and SSD set-up.

Unfortunately Everything just searches for file names, but it’s instant. I’m not sure of a good tool to search through docx etc. I’ve heard good things about DocFetcher and AstroGrep, but never used them.

Sadly this is why i stick with Windows search and just gripe about it. I need it to search in files to be useful for me.

So I’ve been getting random system reboots on Windows 10 lately. 51 instances since October 5th according to the event viewer. Zero before that date.

What happened on October 5th? I installed the anniversary update. Awesome. A Google search reveals that this is not an isolated case, and nothing I’ve seen so far has led to a solution. So I suppose I either have to do another clean install and hope that works, or wait it out and hope Microsoft fixes it.

Have they fixed anything for those of us stuck with messes due to the anniversary update? I’m pretty sure MS just doesn’t care. They don’t think enough of us suffer for them to do anything about any of these issues.

Where you on the insider track at some point? If so, you might have been hit by a bug caused if you were on the insider ring, but jump off on to the regular track.

This should fix it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53942

I was having some pretty heinous graphics driver issues for a while. I use DDU to clear out the old drivers, but the system was still unstable. I’m talking about mean time between the graphics driver crashing was in minutes.

Then, I updated to the latest version of DDU. The changelog noted that they made some substantial improvements on cleanup of AMD drivers. That did the trick, as the graphics became stable immediately. Still, something was causing a stop code blue screen about once per day…

I finally bit the bullet, nuked the partition, and did a clean install of the Anniversary Update. I know there’s a way to “restore” it to a clean setting in Windows, but old habits die hard. Besides, nuking it from orbit is the only way to be sure.

System is now rock solid.