Windows 10

Is it possible that even with 8GB memory windows have memory leak problem ?? Is that related with ATI or what ???

Weirdly enough, I’ve had fewer issues with Win10 than with pretty much any other version. And I’ve had them all from the beginning. There is a lot of unnecessary (to me) stuff in Win10, to be sure, though.

This times 1000.

Also, two updates have now gone into an endless ‘failed to install’ loop, Cumulative Update KB3197954 and Cumulative Update KB3200970. It’s driving me batty – in addition to the borked sleep mode, there is basically no such thing as ‘restart,’ it’s always ‘update and restart’ and then the same damn failure. This is a known thing but hours of internet scouring haven’t found me a solution that works.

Per this link I tried to run this script fix and had high hopes, but as far as I can tell all it’s done is shift forward the ‘fail to install’ from '54 to '70. Not that I have any real idea what’s going on. It looks like the script was meant for an earlier update installment, so maybe that’s the issue.

Windows’s endless updates have been annoying me for years, but now it’s drifted into the realm of Dada. I don’t even want to turn my gaming PC on anymore.

Well, there’s always the option of going back to Win7/8.1 no? Less spying as well.

Course, they are starting to do shit with Windows update there as well, since now you get a “bundle” update with very little details, instead of separate downloads. I think MS have gone batshit crazy under SatNad, and to think that people thought Balmer was the mad one.

I’ve come across instructions on how to purge pending updates from your hard drive, essentially forcing your computer to download them again instead of trying to reinstall the same (potentially corrupted) data. I don’t recall exactly where I saw it, but look for various Windows update repair responses (when I first went to 10, my Store icons were bonkers and didn’t work and this got me looking down various rabbit holes).

Received a Windows 10 update, the one that provides colored title bars on the windows and makes then 100x easier to see and use. However, the update crippled my MS Image Composer program, no longer able to save png files: “Cannot save image. Image format filter initialization failed.” Not good, so I rolled back to the previous build and it is working again. Alas, colored title bars, I’ll miss you.

Actually, MS added telemetry to win7 and 8 also.

True, but they are at least possible to disable in Win7/8, yes?

Only with the same hacks and tricks available to you in Win10.

Was under the impression that the telemetry in Win10 was a lot more “built into the system” than it was in Win7/8.1 through patches.

Still, no forced updates & reboots on W7/8 but perhaps they’ll “add” that as well.

IMO they are shitting the bed with win 10. Is it too much to ask to have a stable OS that doesn’t require a restart every other day and where you don’t need to throw up a prayer to the heavens each time you put it in sleep mode?

I feel the same way. I have two systems on Win 10… they don’t even update on the same day. Unless i pay really close attention I can’t even tell if they’re getting the same update or not. I still don’t know why my desktop was forked with the anniversary update but the laptop is fine.

I also get a off blue screens these days for reason I can’t tell. It didn’t used to do this.

Hi Dan, ‘purge pending updates from your hard drive’ led me to this procedure which I think maybe got it done. Maybe. Knock on wood. Anyway Windows doesn’t seem to be quite so keen on updating anymore. So, thanks!

Yes! That’s the one I was thinking of. I’m glad my incredibly vague advice was helpful :)

Was your PC ever on a preview insider build before you installed the final version of Windows 10? Because if so, there was a bug with a recent update where those PCs would continually fail to install an update.

I don’t think so. I bought it as a Windows 8 PC and then did a clean OS reinstall a year or so ago after a massive system crash. Then, from within Win 8, it gave me the free-update jazz so I went with the flow.

@ Dan, sadly I spoke too soon. Same update failures just happened, again '70 and '54. I turned off the windows update automated service, and am just going to leave it off for a while, if that is a thing that can be done. Probably means Teh Haxx0rs will destroy me, but whatever.

More likely that Win10 somehow re-enables it by itself, judging from past experiences people have had with disabling stuff and it magically re-enabling itself.

So I’ve got some un-upgradable version of W7 and want to replace it with W10 Home. If I download the W10 installer from the Microsoft Store, will it… work? I guess I can reinstall Steam either point at or redownload local exes etc. I haven’t reinstalled Windows for years now and I’ve basically forgotten how :)

What do you mean in-upgradable? Do you mean Windows 7 Enterprise? It won’t upgrade. That’s a volume license.

Well that’s what I said. But I can still do a fresh install right, and boot to W10…?