Windows 10

Nothing worked on my ‘infinite update’ situation, and I found an error message in the end that seemed to indicate some corrupted files somewhere. I did a fresh reinstall, although I guess the free Win 10 upgrade is no longer in service, so I’m back to 8.1 Whatevs!

For what it’s worth and if you want it, activation is handled automatically for a given PC. So even though upgrades through Windows Update are no longer live, you can use the Media Creation Tool to download it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Welcome back to the many :-)

You can do that, but it won’t activate. So you can run it 30 days and reinstall it again, or you can activate. To activate, you need to have done an upgrade from a valid Win 7 license using the accessible-needs loophole, or you need to purchase a license. It’s Black Friday week, so there should be some on sale.

The “tied to the machine” license is pretty liberal. My motherboard died a few weeks ago so I upgraded with a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. Booting from my previous Windows10 installation took 15-ish minutes while Windows went through the process of switching over to using Skylake drivers and rebooting. I was sure I’d run into license issues and I was right. A bit after Windows came up I’m guessing it tried to check Windows Update and resulted in an activation error. Fortunately, I only needed to input my valid Win7 license key again and Microsoft accepted my new configuration (no issues since). So, so happy I didn’t need to purchase a new license or reinstall.

Yes, you should be able to install clean then activate using your old windows license, if it’s eligible-- a windows enterprise license wouldn’t be.

Worst-case scenario, win10 licenses are like $20 at kinguin. Not talking about a lot of money here.

Think I’m sticking with 8.1 for now. It just seems so much more low-stress. I can use the sleep button again! W00tz

So, full windows might be coming to ARM chips.

If that isn’t something cool, I don’t know what is.

Guess this is chance #3.

It lines up with the rumor that some kind of Surface phone is coming next year. It’ll be some kind of really high-end ARM phone, but it will run full Windows 10 instead of Windows 10 Mobile. With Continuum and a dock, it will be a full PC in your pocket.

It won’t really be geared toward consumers, but more toward Enterprise. MS is almost there with Continuum, but the current inability to run x86 apps was always the last deal-breaker.

I imagine this third chance won’t help people suckered into buying windows RT!

Microsoft will abandon it in a year just like they abandon everything else.

I’m not gonna lie, I want one.

“Oops! Our bad!”

[quote]
Chris Capossela, Chief Marketing Officer at Microsoft, said in the latest edition of the Windows Weekly that this was the moment when the company indeed went too far, pointing out that the two weeks between the moment when users started complaining about the unexpected behavior and the one when a patch was released were “very painful.”

“We know we want people to be running Windows 10 from a security perspective, but finding the right balance where you’re not stepping over the line of being too aggressive is something we tried and for a lot of the year I think we got it right, but there was one particular moment in particular where, you know, the red X in the dialog box which typically means you cancel didn’t mean cancel,” he said.

“And within a couple of hours of that hitting the world, with the listening systems we have we knew that we had gone too far and then, of course, it takes some time to roll out the update that changes that behavior. And those two weeks were pretty painful and clearly a lowlight for us. We learned a lot from it obviously.”[/quote]

They definitely learned something-- they learned just how far their anti-consumer practices can go before the pot boils over. They learned what that threshold was. They learned just how badly they could fuck us, to the picometer.

They didn’t learn to not fuck the consumer, as that article seems to imply. Next time they’ll fuck us ever so slightly less, so the internet doesn’t explode again in bile and hatred. Good for them, but definitely not good for us.

If anyone uses multiple monitors, the latest update just fucked up your shit.

Looks like it’s not just if you run games on multiple monitors, just if you have more than one connected.

I’ve played Squad and Stellaris since I update yesterday, and I’ve got dual monitors (one in portrait mode). No issues.

Yep that article is horseshit, I play games just fine on 3 monitors, and I am on latest Windows 10. Insider even…

Probably pointing out the obvious, but I think they’re referring to letting games simultaneously use multiple windows, not just Windows itself. That tripped me up at first, too.

I just updated to 15002 last night. It took 2+ hours, I went to bed after a while. Had to leave the computer on all night because the Install Updates and Shutdown Option only goes 1/10th of the way through the process before shutting down. So stupid.

So this morning when I log in I have to wait another 30 minutes while it updates my profile. When I finally get in my whole profile is busted to hell and the explorer doesn’t even work. I finally found a guy on reddit who posted that unplugging his extra monitor fixed the issue. I was pretty skeptical, and tried a lot of other options including reboots, new profiles, etc but when I finally tried that it all worked.

Haven’t tried multiple monitor gaming but that’s pretty flakey to begin with anyways.

If I understand this correctly, update 15002 is an insider update and aren’t insider updates a beta release. Since this is a beta release won’t there be bugs and issues that need to be reported so that when Microsoft releases the final version the problems you are having will supposedly be fixed. This is assuming that Microsoft actually listens to the “Insiders”.